Aviation: The Otto Celera

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Otto is an independent startup developing an experimental civil aircraft it calls the Celera 500L, and it has recently performed test flights It looks like a flying whale.

Otto makes some pretty big statements on it performance:

The six-seater plane has an intercontinental range of 4,500 nautical miles at speeds of 450 miles per hour in cruise flight. And despite having the performance more akin to a multi-million-dollar Gulfstream, the Celera 500L is only powered by one engine that's made from aluminum.

If you can get past its looks, the Celera 500L is a great deal for private flyers at a cost of only $328 per hour, which would make it among the cheapest private charter aircraft on the market.

https://www.ottoaviation.com/celera-500l

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-private-plane-otto-aviation-celera-500l-2020-9

Dan R, nojazzhere and JL_LI like this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

VERY cool! The more an airfraft looks like a fish (or aquatic mammal), the more economical it will be on fuel.

teletimetx likes this.
  3. Guitarzan

Do the wings look too small and too far aft to you?

They do to me, but when you get into high performance aircraft the aerodynamics and correlating design concerns are different than for the slower bug smashers for fun flying.

Zepfan likes this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

That’s a cool design but the marketing is somewhat misleading. A 6 or 7 hour transcontinental flight without a “facility”? No space for a personal flight attendant? The design works for short to medium range flights. Transcon requires a larger plane with a larger engine or possibly two smaller ones. Some of that efficiency advantage disappears. Then there’s the noise issue. Jet engine noise inside the cabin is white noise to most people, loud, but not too noticeable after a while. Prop noise is an irritating buzz or vibration that never goes away. I think the idea is a cool one despite my criticism. If the plane itself is slippery enough, a single jet engine and a larger airframe may be all that’s needed to have a viable transcontinental aircraft alternative.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Guitarzan

Prop noise can be dissipated in several ways. One is to use more blades and fewer revolutions. Another is to place the prop as far away from passengers as a design will allow. The single engine [piston and turboprop] Piper Malibu, Socata/Daher TMb, Pilatus PC-12, etc. use that method with a single engine and the passenger compartment is surprisingly pleasant without headphones. In addition, a pressurized airframe has a more insulation and a higher noise reduction factor.

That single engine on the back multiple small blades coupled with a pressurized airframe may be reasonably quiet in the passenger compartment.

6. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Nice design indeed !

My preference would be this, though :

Airships always exerced fascination on me... Oh, how I would have embarked the Graf Zeppelin for his 1929 World Tour ! :cool::rolleyes:

-tbln

Nahtabot and 61fury like this.
  7. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

It always makes me suspicious when they don't list the price. I'm guessing a couple mil.

8. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, cost to buy an aircraft may be significant. However, operating cost for jets is astronomical. If the true operating cost is $328 per hour as stated, that is a huge breakthrough.

9. Guitarzan

They probably do not know what it will cost, how many they can make and sell per year, what margin they will need, and what the highest possible price they can charge and sell in volume is.

The engine alone costs $170K, so it will not be cheap. The piper Malibu, Diamond DA-62, Beech Seneca and Barron, and many other new aircraft that seat 6 are all over $1MM new. An aircraft that can do what it purports at the stated operating cost is worth a couple of million as a commercial charter aircraft. If it can carry enough weight, it could be useful as a short hop cargo hauler for companies such as UPS, Fed Ex, Amazon, Wal-marks, drug companies, lab companies, freight expediters, etc.

A Kodiak Quest costs about $2.5MM.

jumpnblues likes this.
  10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Interesting post. Thank you.

11. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe it’s just the uniqueness but to me it doesn’t seem airworthy. Where is the landing gear?

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I applaud the efficiency design target, but I doubt that the wealthy elites are concerned about gas mileage.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I like this one.

[​IMG]

14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Pie.

Pie in the sky.

Compare with the Piaggio Avanti...which is a twin turboprop (Otto is a turbo diesel). The Avanti has been flying for a while, has similar characteristics...but needs roughly 1700hp to get those flight envelope specs. The Otto grunts 500hp out of a geared 12-cyl turbo-diesel.

Yah, the design is slippery...but underpowered. I imagine it will have a hard time cruising above 300kts.

Oh, and "transcontinental" means it will make it across the Med. Good luck getting it single-engine certs for flying across the pond.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  15. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

I thought those were jet engines fore of the tail section, but they are not. What are they? Like hood scoops for air flow to the prop?

16. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

They claim it can cruise at 450 mph , and they claim it can glide up to 125 miles . Those wings look nonexistent though. What confuses me is you can't see windows on the out side but they seem to be there in the interior shot

celera-500l-light-interior-view-illustration.jpg

Looks like it's for the upper tier of the 1 percent, cool airplane though. And 18-25 mpg!

17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, looks kinda wonky to me, too - but they have a photo from another angle that makes it look a little less whale-like:

Celera 500L, Top View desert.jpeg

18. Guitarzan

A client is considering the purchase of an airplane or an interest in one. An interest in a Diamond DA-62 is one possibility because of the relatively reasonable operating despite an acquisition cost of about $1.3MM fully loaded.

19. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Has some similarities to the Piaggio Avanti

[​IMG]

It definitely is built for efficiency. I like it. I hope it takes off (pun intended)>
    [​IMG]

20. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

They'll likely be intakes for engine induction air and cooling.
    Laminar flow brings issues inasmuch as small imperfections such as dents and bug build-ups can have an adverse effect on performance. A bird strike wouldn't go down well at all. And as trapdoor2 says, single-engine certification for operating over water could be an issue. And a service ceiling of 65000 feet! That's higher than Concord flew. The air's pretty thin up there for prop bite and aerofoil performance. There's not much of a margin for wing stall at any speed at those sort of altitudes if I remember my aerodynamics correctly.
    Interesting technology and those guys obviously know their stuff... I look forward to seeing the aircraft live up to its quoted figures.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.