Average guitar player s 15 minutes of fame tell your stories of gigs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vfc13, Dec 13, 2019.

1. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I don't think so...this one goes by the name Easy Jesus. He may be one of Coe's groupie's offspring

Hatfield92 likes this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Sounds to me like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Played a big backyard party with about 4 or 5 other bands. Around 1990-91. About 2/3rds of the way through our set, our extremely drunk drummer decides he's had enough and kicks his bass drum over. I respond by tossing my guitar into the tangle of stands and cymbals, and before we knew it a full blown Nirvana style smash fest ensued. Not sure if the applause were for our epic, show ending climax or if it was because we weren't going to play anymore, but either way...it was pretty awesome.

Shortly afterwards, a guy in coveralls and a big straw hat who smelled like gasoline came up to us and said "Cool set, man." Found out later that it was Dez Cadena from Black Flag.

I never felt like more of a rock star than in that moment.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  4. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Okay, in all fairness I need to qualify this. It was one of those high class farm-to-table deals owned by a wealthy couple from NYC. We played at a catered event there that was a fundraiser for some charity. Terry Gross from NPR's "Fresh Air" program was rumored to be there.

Fresh air? At a pig farm? Hey, I guess it's no different than catching a ride with our drummer after he hits the Taco Bell drive thru...

5. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

It could have ended up as a Minor Threat.

Fenderslinger likes this.
  6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

some guitar magazine needs to interview you, Bill

give a shout to us little people at tdpri

outstanding!

aging_rocker and brookdalebill like this.
  7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Year 1966

Place: Collinsville, Virginia

Occasion: Talent Show for all local bands, amateur or semi pro alike

Our Band Demographics: 13 years old each one of us.

Time together as a band: Less than 2 years

Climate: There was a band rehearsal in every garage on every street in the local semi rural area, everyone looking for a way out of dullsville, VA. Mostly a factory man's town and surrounding counties. Our small town of Martinsville (approximately 15,000 people) had three major mom & pop music gear stores.

Gear: Ludwig Drums in white pearl, amps at that time a mashup of Silvertone amps, 1- Bassman, 1-Deluxe Reverb, 2-1484 Silvertone Amps, 1-Bandmaster amp, 1-Electronic Keyboard, I honestly don't remember the guitars, Bass player had a Fender Precision Bass, I believe that the lead guitarist and myself (rhythm guitarist) both had Melody electrics, I remember the cords we're all white coils of considerable length.

We had maybe 10-12 covers down pat, Green Onions was the only one I remember. Shure microphones fed into a Silvertone amp. It worked but not well.

Each band got to play one song.

As many as 20 bands competing.

We were the youngest group there.

All dressed up, alike with matching blue blazers, gray slacks, pastel Oxford cloth shirts, long sleeve button down colors, with conservative neck ties to match out individually selected pastel shirt. Drummer wore a white dress shirt, open collar and black slacks.

Rolled out and setup our own equipment behind closed curtains.

Drummer gave the count, and we freaking nailed it, prefect presentation, perfect execution, about 60 seconds into the song (which I do not remember what it was) we all suddenly started moving, and we had never coriographed any movement at all. Smiles started spreading onto our faces as we could hear ourselves with our amps behind us.

Audience was seated in a full 500-600 seat high school assembly auditorium. We could not see the audience but we could see movement and start hearing their cheers before we were 3/4 through song. At songs end the appluase and cheers was louder than our music. We could not refrain from being and showing our surprise.

We did not win, a band that was unheard of and locally tied to that particular shook won, HOWEVER, it just happens that this Battle of the Bands happened on the same night as the Senior Prom. The band the senior class had hired had not shown up for the gig, so we were invited to play in their stead. Our parents agreed, and the senior classmen started moving our equipment to the other side of the newly built and spacious school's gymnasium.

Then the professional band from Greensboro, NC pulled into the parking lot. The seniors actually debated which band they were going to go with. The upperclassmen helped us load our gear back into our parents' cars.

We were selected from all those bands, and we were famous for all of maybe 1 hour.

We wound up playing small venues and church held coffee house parties for quite a few years.

We had fun.

We never wrote a song. Just played covers.

Like many garage/ basement bands' we just shirveled up and each member went their separate way, into this thing called life.

This year we lost our keyboard player to Parkinson's. We all still play, just not together. Life has tossed us about like waves in the ocean.

Cheers.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m a lucky nobody!
    In my youth, I worked at Picker’s Paradise, Ray Hennig’s Heart Of Texas Music, B&B Music -two locations(Canada), Back To Vintage (Canada), GC (blush) and South Austin Music.
    I also did “sub” work at Austin Vintage Guitars.
    I did sales and (minor)repair/tech work.
    These day gigs allowed me to meet many of “our heroes”.
    I’ve also taken (almost) every gig I’ve been offered since I was 16.
    I’m not “successful” but I’m extremely “seasoned”.
    I just feel lucky I get to be what I always wanted to be.
    I’m a good musician.
    “Good” is good enough for me!

9. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

In the early - mid 90s, a couple of my bands made it to the point of developing decent local followings, opening for touring acts, and doing a bit of touring ourselves.

One of the last shows, I think it was opening for Luna, or Guided by Voices, we came out on stage to open the show, and the crowd erupted in cheers, whistles, and applause as we plugged in. Before we'd even played a note... That was the first taste I got of what it would feel like to have an audience really appreciate your music, and look forward with anticipation to your set. It felt wonderful!

Unfortunately, this was shortly after I'd developed hyperacusis, and I only managed one or two more shows before the pain was so much I had to give up live performance. I think often about what might have been had I not developed that disability. Ah, well.

10. ptecat

ptecat TDPRI Member

My band once opened for the Blasters

About four years ago we were invited to play a benefit at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville for a local studio/touring guitarist. Our base player and drummer were life long friends. We went on after Jack Pearson and Guthrie Trapp's bands. No pressure right? Nervous ain't the word. When we took the stage the MC asked if a friend of his could sit in on Hammond B3. Who were we to say no. Turns out it was Paul Hornsby, former member of Hour Glass with Greg and Duane Allman, and producer of Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels and Wet Willie among others. During our first song I hit a clunker and immediately received a dirty look from Mister Hornsby.

I also rode an elevator with Jeff Skunk Baxter. We made eye contact and nodded to each other.

carpenter likes this.
  11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I played for a live rock karaoke band in NYC for about 7 years on a steady Friday gig. One Sunday, I got a cryptic email from the drummer telling me to learn 'I started a Joke' by the Bee Gees. I already knew it, but it was a strange request and try as I might, no one in the band would tell me why we were learning it.

Fast forward to Friday. We get on stage, the intro tape for the show plays, the lights come up and a guy gets on stage. This guy...

At the time, Carrey was taking heat for what many considered to be perving on a young actress, and he decided to come do the show with us as a way to defuse the situation. He also did 'Creep' by Radiohead...

And 'Bullet with Butterfly Wings' by Smashing Pumpkins.

Three songs, thanked us on stage and he was out. But by the time we wrapped the gig and I drove home, the video was everywhere on Youtube. In the following week we were on Entertainment Tonight, TMZ, and in newspaper stories as far away as Australia.

I've had plenty of other high points, but this one was pretty much the strangest.

(I'm the dude on the right playing the SE One.)

- D

12. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Gave Matt Roberts R.I.P of 3 Doors Down 2 guitar lessons when he was about 15

so I say, wait for the cymbal to crash—-2 lessons from me and you can be a rockstar! Cymbals crash now.

nomadh, telestratosonic and carpenter like this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

these are awesome!

I'm gonna go with--> I sang an original tune on KPIG radio's "Please Stand By" with Sleepy John.

I have others, but today, that is my favorite.

telestratosonic and bender66 like this.
  14. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

My band 'Left For Dead' over the years have supported, & sometimes hung out with, 999, (Charged) GBH, The Angelic Upstarts, Peter & the Test Tube Babies, Dr & the Medics, The English Dogs, Chelsea, Walter Lure (of The Heartbreakers), Steve Ignorant's (of Crass) Slice of Life, Sham 69 and we were supposed to support Sepultura on their 1st UK tour but they didn't show up, visa/ work permit problem!

15. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wrigley Field 1992. Opened for a Cubs game.
    I'm on the left with a Peavey sortacaster. FB_IMG_1576881128973.jpg

16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Back in the 80's I had a few friends that worked at Silicon Graphics in Mountain View. SGI had an annual employee lip-sync competition as a social event. We had a loosely organized R&B jam group led by one guy who worked there and he managed to secure the opening spot while people filed in to find their seats in Shoreline Amphitheater. We played something like 45 minutes or an hour to a crowd that eventually got to about 1500 people I'm guessing, and they said hooray at the end, so that was pretty fun.

telestratosonic and Larry F like this.
  17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Not much fame for me, but in my guitar career, I wound up being two degrees away from a lot of musicians. My favorite would be Art Blakey, whose bass player played from a jazz band I was in. A lot of jazz guys I gigged with in Portland during my teens and 20s, wound up doing one-offs and road work for artists with bigger budgets.

18. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Sometimes circumstances make it necessary for me to ride the bus. One time as I got on the bus I noticed these two really cute girls. There were a lot of people on the bus so I sat near the back. As the bus made stops and got a little emptier I could see these girls looking at me and kind of checking me out. After awhile they came over and sat in the seat in front of me and one of them asked me "is your name Parco"? I was blown away. I said Yeah. She said "I thought so, I recognized you, I've seen your picture in my sisters yearbook". Turned out I went to school with her sister ( who was also really cute BTW). Then she said Bye and got off the bus. Never saw her on that bus again.

telestratosonic likes this.
  19. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

One more ... my wife And I lived in Murfreesboro TN in a duplex apt 510B Lee st. Two guys lived in 510A. One was the other guitar player in the band I was in. The other guy was a student at MTSU going for a recording management degree. His name was Gary Overton. We all played music, drank moonshine and rode motorcycles. Gary went on to manage Alan Jackson and became a big wheel at Sony records. He resigned after saying something that angered quite a few in Nashville. I went on to raise a family back in Mississippi.

20. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

That's funny, the band I'm in once opened for Twisted Sister. Nah, we couldn't be talking about the same band... :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.