Average guitar player s 15 minutes of fame tell your stories of gigs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vfc13, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Afflicted

About 12 years ago I was in a band playing in and around DC; small bars and clubs. One day I was on lunch break with a few pals from the office (I worked in DC) and we were aboard the Metro headed back to work. Across from us on the train were two young ladies, and one of them asked me, "are you the guitar player from the band that played at Jerry's last weekend?" As a matter of fact, "Yes I am. That was me."

I was as surprised as my pals--one of whom said, "Dude. You have groupies."

billgwx, Kebmel, carpenter and 7 others like this.
  2. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My first gig was actually four gigs. My senior year of high school, we held a variety show. One show for the high school, one for the junior high, and a couple for the various elementary schools in the district. So, great setting. Auditorium. Great acoustics, not a bad seat in the house...

Anyway, my band closed the show. The girls all reacted as if we were the Beatles. The junior high show was especially intense. It’s one of my fondest memories. We were all suddenly rock stars in our little podunk town for a a year or two.

Every other gig since has been a huge letdown in comparison. All downhill from there!

3. TelecasterBlooz

TelecasterBlooz Tele-Afflicted

Played out on a "Clyde Night" at Clyde Stubblefields club in Madison, WI. After my band played our set, Clyde hisself motioned me to stay and play with his band. Afterwords he came to me shook my my hand and said, "You'll do son, you'll do..." Then bought me drinks for the rest of the night. Man! I got to play with James Brown's drummer! I must've been in the zone, or it were Tele power!

Kebmel, Rowdyman, drlucky and 3 others like this.
  4. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Got to play with Bill Kirchen a number of times.

Backed Jonathan Edwards on "Shanty", then he joined our band for a set on harmonica! THAT was extremely cool, as was Jonathan.

Kebmel, getbent, Rowdyman and 5 others like this.
  5. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I started out as an acoustic folkie. My favourite gig was back in about 1978(?) at a university where I played with 2 other musicians (no one famous, but one was a great music teacher) and 2 incredible vocalists. All the usual 'peace, live and hippiness' type songs, but the reaction of the audience was so positive and encouraging that it really kept me going for a long time. Universities and colleges were great places for this type of music back then.

stevemc and pickaguitar like this.
  6. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

After struggling for 2.5 yrs following a relocation to San Francisco, got a great mention in BAM. Then more struggling.

McGlamRock, Bill, bender66 and 2 others like this.
  7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

While running an open mike in the late 70s in walks Kris Kristoferson and Norton Buffalo. They were filming heavens gate up around glacier park. Of course they came on stage and i got to play with them on a few songs. They played with me on one of my originals.....great nite. For those who dont know Norton Buffalo, he was probably one of the best harp players ever.

Kebmel, carpenter, getbent and 6 others like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fame? Nope!
    Hmmm, I was on the (college) radio playing at Bumstock circa 1982 or so, at the annual outdoor concert at the University of Maine at Orono, which was a pretty huge at the 10,000 student school.
    Playing with The Cabins Band we did a single Grand Ole Opry tune (Will the circle be Unbroken) and my guitar mic was turned up pretty loud, sounded like Doc Watson on acid.
    We were protesting the closing of an on campus housing area known as the cabins, a circle of cabins that tended to house the rebels and zealots who gave the admin fits, so admin decided to close that little circle down.
    A cathartic little ditty with a lotta heart, in true Woody Guthrie tradition.

Otherwise I was more of an underground musician and my infamy was within my local musician community.
    Too sick to hold down gigs or keep a band together....

Chris Brokaw once told me "You are one sick musician, but I mean that in a good way".

9. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

While playing a solo act at a Mexican restaurant in Dallas ca. 1977, I was asked to bring my old Martin D18 the next night. I did, and halfway through my first set, Charlie Pride walks in, introduces himself, and asks, "Would you mind if I share your stage?" Turns out, Charlie was next-door neighbors with the owner of the restaurant, and would come in and kick back with a pitcher of margaritas and a plate of enchiladas on occasion, and Jim, the owner, knew Charlie was coming in that night. At a time when Charlie Pride was at the top of the country music galaxy of stars, and he came in and asked permission to share MY stage, speaks volumes about his humble demeanor and classy way he treated (and still does) people. The upshot was that Charlie sat in for the rest of the evening on my old Martin and we played every country song I knew, and several he knew, too.:lol: Several other stories of encounters with the upper reaches of music stardom can be told, but these are for another time. Still have that old Martin guitar, BTW.

10. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

One of my bands played the Dallas Music Fest and opened for DRI on a main friday night stage...I had no idea they were still together

I met Buddy Miles

Waited line behind George Lynch once

Loaned David Allen Coe's son my guitar during a show...big mistake!

Won a battle of the bands and got free studio time for an EP we released

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  11. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

In my time I've opened up for the Buzzcocks, The Damned, John Otway, Spear of Destiny, 999, The Vibrators, The Lurkers, U.K. Subs, Vice Squad, Ricky Warwick, Anti Pasti, Discharge, (Charged) GBH, The Cockney Rejects, Peter & The Testtube Babies, Splodgenessabounds, Ed Tudor-Pole, TV Smith, Steve Diggle, Street Dogs, Anti Nowhere League, Sham 69... and many more I've temporarily forgotten.

Hopefully many more to come, too... :)

12. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I've opened up for a bunch of people- basically any "Alternative radio" band of the 90s with a number in the name, we opened for them. My favorite was opening for Supergrass at a super, extra sold-out show in Boston. My most legit gig was playing guitar with Mary Wilson of the Supremes and that meant a lot to me. And since it's his birthday, I also quite cherish sitting in with Bobby Keyes' band in Nashville after a few whiskeys and singing endless Little Richard songs with him. It's not so much the "ooooh, a famous person" aspect, it's getting to interact and share a stage with people who have made great music. Like, getting to sing with the guy who played sax on "Happy" by the Stones is a pretty cool thing. I played a bit with Al Kooper and have visited his house to listen to records and, man, that's the guy who played the friggin' organ on "Like A Rolling Stone"! And that's just one of the amazing things he's done. You gotta cherish things like that. I come from a dirt road, this is heady stuff for me.

13. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was playing a show at the local Holiday Inn with my band about a decade ago, when three well dressed guys who were obviously from out of town showed up at the bar and were watching the band very closely. Turns out there was one of those "Golden Oldies" shows in town, and the three guys turned out to be the lead singers for the Platters, the Spinners, and the Drifters. They had just finished their show in town, and stopped to check out the music at their hotel and have a drink before calling it a day. They ended up on stage with us, and blew the roof off the place with a rendition of Bring It On Home...good times!

I have had the chance to be in the house band for a local benefit show that features some up and coming acts out of Nashville. I played a few shows with Ayla Brown, a contestant from American Idol a few years back, as well as Jay Taylor, a former Voice contestant. Huge stage and production, tons of fun.

I also got to jam a few songs with Forrest Lee Jr. on stage, great guy and amazing player, not to mention his great benders and builds...

14. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

What happened to your guitar ?

15. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I learned a lot that night. I quickly learned that his band wasn't there to play music primarily lol

Before the show...dropped off by a limo > they were all about the cocaine and strippers backstage.
    Once they 'started'...by the 3rd or 4th note the singer dropped my les paul on the stage and launched himself into the crowd to fight some people.
    Then most of the band followed in suit. I witnessed the DJ literally threatening the sound guy to get it right or he's coming back there. In which at one point he did just that. I'm not sure if the band finished one entire song that night. Their crowd was huge and could care less about any sound

The band was Pimpadelic. Drugs, fights, chicks...any maybe some music if you're lucky

Can you imagine being so @#$%@#$% that you don't even bring your guitar to your headlining gig?

16. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

I opened for the Dead Kennedys at the Majestic Ventura Theater a few months ago. After a misspent youth listening to punk rock, that was a minor thrill.

17. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I once jammed with a guy whose band once opened for Twisted Sister. No autographs, please.

billgwx, Kebmel, getbent and 3 others like this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Spent an entire night jamming on acoustics with Tommy Redd (of Nantucket) around a campfire partying for a NASCAR race. Tommy is a really good guy.
    Didn't get to play with him, but I had the good fortune of helping Paul Gilbert get set up for a clinic at my local shop way back when the first Mr Big album was just about to come out. Fabulous player, really really cool guy.

pickaguitar and brookdalebill like this.
  19. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Meister

My moment of fame was more of an epic fail. Sometime around 1990 I was on the sidewalk in Lititz,Pa . A dark blue Lincoln Continental pulled over and the guy in the passenger seat asked for directions to Clair Global . I took them for a couple of salesmen and blew them off thinking that anyone who is supposed to be there already knows where it is. I forgot all about it. Then years later I read an article in the New York Times about the rock and roll industry in Lititz. It seems the guy I blew off did find his way there and he was not very happy about what I did. Hey ,he was wearing sunglasses how was supposed to know it was Billy Joel.

billgwx likes this.
  20. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Is it the son who hosts a podcast called cocaine and rhinestones? If so, he seems like a real anus. He also had a podcast called something like “your favorite band sucks” in which he and his buddy spend an hour talking about why a particular band is lame. I made it about five minutes into the episode on the Stones. I thought, hey, maybe it’s done insightfully anyway. Nah.

Louis Armstrong said there’s two kinds of music, good and bad.

Of course, young Coe probably thinks Pops was a hack.

pickaguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.