Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Seasicksailor, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I watched the film when it came out at the cinema a few years back. I had no previous exposure to the story or the characters.
    I thought the film was at best ok. Right now, I can't remember a single scene from it. I can remember thinking it didn't make much sense and it wasn't engaging.

Recently, out of curiosity/boredom, I started watching the cartoon version (2005) on Netflix. Just wow! The cartoon characters felt more real and relatable than the real actors in the film (not blaming the actors, but the script). I ended up pretty much binge-watching it.

A few things I really appreciated from the series:
    - It was clear there was a plan. There was a beginning and an end that created closure.
    - Although there were no clear deaths in battle, the battles were actually exciting.
    - The morality lessons were mostly clear but not presented as straightforward. They were a lot more sophisticated than your typical kids' cartoon. It didn't shy away from 'grey' areas.

So... if you avoided the cartoon on the basis of the film. I would recommend giving it a chance.

trapdoor2, Lawdawg and warrent like this.
  2. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

The movie really missed the whole story. My kid grew up watching the series and was excited about the movie but it really sucked. The characters are much more interesting and well developed in the original series.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just the opposite :

watched the animated version with my son and loved it . Whole family did.

Then we really looked forward to the movie .

shockingly bad.

not just bad because it wasn’t anywhere near as good as the animated original .

it was a bad movie , very poorly executed, by any yardstick.

M Night Shamalamadingdong should have been horse-whipped for ruining what could have been a great franchise .

so many other directors could have done it justice.

that series was so ripe for a great movie adaptation and he sucked all of the kid-goofiness out of it as well as employing some production values that made it seem like a 70’s D-level Saturday morning show.

Toto'sDad and Seasicksailor like this.
  4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

the animated series is great--deep, morally complex characters; humor, pathos, adventure. Our daughter and her friends loved every second of it. The movie was horrible

They are making a new live action version of the animated series--I think it will be on netflix

5. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Oh I didn't know! Great to hear.

6. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Perhaps a visit to your local comic book store will provide even more reading pleasure since there's an ongoing comic book series of "Avatar the last airbender" starting with "the promise" which picks up where the Cartoon series left off.

Literally picks it up where the cartoon series ends, since you probably know that it ended with Aang and Katara Kissing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we take a time warp and travel five years in the future, Aang has gone through a growth spurt and is dealing with the conflicted feelings that every teenager goes through and all the responsibilities as the avatar that lay on his shoulders.
    [​IMG]

But it still has that humor.
    [​IMG]

Seasicksailor likes this.
  7. Blazer

Nickelodeon has a bad habit of doing this. In 2009 they acquired the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and under the helm of Ciro Nieli in 2012, created what many consider the best series in that franchise.
    [​IMG]
    Much like "Avatar the last airbender" this series showed character development, humor and true martial arts, I have shown this series to a friend of mine who is a sensei and runs his own Dojo, he was really impressed with the "Ninja" aspect of the series.

Here's one episode of the series which sums it all up. Probably the only episode which you can watch on its own.

So having a hit on their hands with TMNT, Nickelodeon turned to making it a movie...
    [​IMG]
    Which was just as big a train wreck as the "Last Airbender" movie was, it had NOTHING in common with the source material. Let alone that the Turtles themselves looked nothing like the characters everybody knows. They were basically four Hulks.

8. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Watched it with my boys when they were little when it was first run on Friday nights. Friday night was an event when that show was on. Loved it! Sokka was freaking great...goofy sense of humor, but bravery and loyalty beyond measure.

9. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Want to hear something infuriating? There was supposed to be a fourth season of ATLA, where Azula was able to redeem herself. Nickelodeon scrapped that in favor of the live action film.

10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I was only vaguely familiar with the show, but semi binge watched it with my daughter about 4-5 years ago and was blown away by how great it was. Like the best of Pixar and Studio Ghibli movies, it never condescends or over-simplifies complex moral and emotional stakes. It's also just a ton of fun to watch.

If you enjoyed Avatar, you should check out the sequel The Legend of Korra which is equal in quality to the original.

11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

I enjoyed the original series, took about two minutes into the movie to figure out it was terrible...turned it off.

I also watched "The Legend of Korra" and enjoyed it. Not as popular as the original Last Air Bender (and not quite as good, IMNSHO) so hopefully it won't get a movie adaptation.

Decent Cartoon serials these days are hard to find. Very difficult to get to a second season, I'm sure.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You just had to do it, I resisted looking at anything about the movie until I saw your post, and in anticipation of the long awaited event, tuned in, and you reminded me of something I had scrubbed from my memory. Avatar: The last Airbender. This is possibly the single worst movie ever crafted for the silver screen. It was so bad, they locked us in the theater, and wouldn't let us out of the room until the stench of vomit became so bad, that 92.7 percent of the emergency response vehicles in town were called to the location. The ticket vendors were hanged right next to the popcorn machine just to teach them a... Well anyone who filled their job a lesson.

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The TV series was fantastic. Wonderful graphic art. I thought the art in Legend of Korra was even better, and the story line veered towards a slightly older audience.

Japanese cartoons and anime are really awesome in general-- arguably the best in the world. Sure, they have lots of weird stuff which can be an acquired taste, but
    they also have lots of more straightforward stuff like Last Airbender which is very entertaining and crosses cultures very easily.

14. Blazer

It was released as the second series of the comic book series under the name "the Search" in which Azula and Zuko start to look for their long lost mother.

[​IMG]

This story also reveals some very dark secrets of the Royal family of the Fire Nation. I won't reveal too much but Zuko and Azula's mother was wedded out to Prince Ozai because of her being a granddaughter of Avatar Roku, thus uniting the Avatar genes to the Royal family genes, creating super strong firebenders, of which Azula of course is the prime example.
    [​IMG]
    Azula makes her escape from the asylum in which she had been held.

At the end of the story she says some arc words.
    [​IMG]

And no, she doesn't redeem herself, not in the slightest.

15. Blazer

"Avatar, the last airbender" wasn't Japanese, it was written in the USA and animated in Korea, nothing even remotely Japanese about the series.

maxvintage likes this.
  16. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

The comics didn't do the arc as the writers originally planned. They said they wanted to hold on to some good ideas. The comics leave her still mentally unstable and posing as Kemurikage, which isn't what I would call a redemption.

17. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I avoided the movie because I loved the show so much. I haven’t watched it since I was younger but it was a big thing for me and me friends. I plan on rewatching it really soon.

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I stand corrected! Thanks.

19. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

I loved the series. I mean, who wouldn't want their own flying bison. Never saw the movie.

20. Blazer

It seems like it's going to be GOOD.

Seasicksailor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.