AV 58 White blonde finish?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KelvinS1965, Aug 8, 2017.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Could any owners of the current American Vintage '58 in White Blonde confirm whether it is a similar shade/finish to my Classic 50s (lacquer) model? I'd assumed it would have the same, semi see through finish, but having watched a few videos and looking on line it looks to be more of an opaque finish.

I'd like a second Telecaster (so I could fit a neck humbucker to my Classic 50s Tele), so having two that look near identical would be handy. ;)

I was considering buying a 'Hot Rod' Road worn Telecaster which already comes with the neck pickup. However this looks noticeably different to my other Tele ;) and comes with a 9.5 radius neck, which doesn't seem to suit my hands after years of playing a Strat with a 7.25" radius and of course my 50s Classic.

I've attached a picture of my 50s Classic to show what I mean about the finish and how the wood grain shows through. Tele 1.jpg

2. Striker6

Striker6 TDPRI Member

I can see the wood grain through my AVRI '58

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  3. Stratcat58

Stratcat58 NEW MEMBER!

I can see the grain through the finish on my AV58.
    It weights in at around 7lbs.
    I got this cause it's the year of my birth.
    It has a wonderful d shaped neck on it that plays
    great to me, 7 1/4 radius. And it is a looker.
    Nothing not to like.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If you can't see grain it's 'Olympic' white, or Fender's interpretation of that custom colour once it's aged. Genuine '53 blonde. xkyrls.jpg

Genuine '78 blond
    78_tele_fade.jpg

Blond(e) is a white translucent finish over ash. Teles always had blonde or black as Standard colours, white like LPB or Fiesta red or sunburst was a custom colour. Post 50's and about the capped neck era solid colours and sunburst were over alder.

White is a solid white, which has aged in vintage guitars over the years.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Southpole, gtrwrks and KelvinS1965 like this.
  5. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

The 58 has what I call a white burst finish. If you look online most look lighter to the middle and most tranlucent toward the edges of the body.
    more this: [​IMG]

and this:[​IMG]

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the replies; that's the kind of finish I'm after so I'll have to get out and try an AV '58 soon. Strange how the videos make it look more like Olympic white (maybe due to Youtube compression I guess).

RocketRonald likes this.
  7. Striker6

Striker6 TDPRI Member

Regardless of the finish, the AV58 is a SUPERB Tele. I love everything about it.

RocketRonald and KelvinS1965 like this.
  8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

This is also what I'm interested in of course. I have played on my cousin's son's Custom Shop Esquire and also another 50s reissue Telecaster he has (both white blondes as it happens). They both play extremely well, with really low action, even more so than my 50s Classic (itself a great guitar too), so I'm looking forward to trying one out. I wouldn't feel so bad about modifying my 50s Classic with a neck humbucker if I had an even nicer 'traditional' Tele to play as well.

9. Striker6

Striker6 TDPRI Member

I was very close to buying a Classic 50's laquer about a year ago. They are cool and a super value but I decided to hold off for a proper AV58 this year. I'm glad I did. They are sometimes hard to locate in shops to try out though...

10. RocketRonald

RocketRonald TDPRI Member

Me too! I bought one today in Amsterdam. Had the chance to play the 52, 58, 64 reissues, standards, professionals and elites. But the 58 really stood out to me in terms of clarity and tone complexity.

Cheers,
    Ronald

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Southpole and KelvinS1965 like this.
  11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

That's good to know RocketRonald. My only worry is that I won't want to play my 50s Classic if I get an AV58, but changing to a neck humbucker on the 50s Classic will make it quite a different guitar, so I'll have a use for both.

I'm having trouble finding anywhere local that has them in stock though; plenty of AV64s though. I travel around a lot with work too, so I have plenty of locations to try. Maybe I need to get on the phone and see if any will get one in for me to try. However, I don't want to be under pressure to buy if I don't somehow feel it's worth the extra over my 50s Classic, so I'm currently seeing who has them already in stock and looking ahead at my travel schedule. :)

12. RocketRonald

RocketRonald TDPRI Member

I get the point. I have always had multiple guitars, but I tend to play only the one I like the most. For recording etc however it can be handy to have a variety of sounds.
    As far as trying the 58 is concerned, I found that any of the reissues I played today were flawless in terms of fit and finish. I'd easily buy one unseen with the knowledge I have now. The sounds of the different models differed enormously however... So better to hear for yourself.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I probably don't need another Tele, but I've gone down the track of starting to mod my cheap Affinity Tele, to a single coil humucker bridge and was about to route for a neck humbucker. I then realised that by the time I've bought a better neck (I prefer 7.25" radius and vintage frets) and this associated work I would be well on the way to buying another Classic 50. Then I started thinking about how well my cousin's son's Teles/Esquires played, so this is an opportunity to get a really decent guitar since I can't justify a CS model and all the used ones seem to be 'relic' ones and I'd prefer NOS.

It's all part of an overall plan to rationalise my guitar and amps collection to have a limited selection, but of the best quality I can afford: Probably selling a couple of amps I don't tend to use and maybe upgrade to a better model of the ones I do. I've just had my 35 year old Strat refreted and he did a beautiful job of setting it up afterwards (I had it refinished 3 years ago) and it has made me think more about 'quality over quantity'.

An AV'58 and my Classic 50 (modded with neck humbucker) would nicely cover my Tele requirements and the Strat is sorted (bar a pick up change possibly). I have a high modified 30 year old Epiphone Les Paul, that now just needs a fret dress and set by the same guy that did my Strat to be perfect and he's already done my P90 Gold Top LP. That would pretty much cover the range of sounds and feel I need from my guitars.

Hopefully I'll get chance to try one soon now that I know the blonde finish is the same as my 50s Classic.

Route67 likes this.
  14. Stratcat58

Stratcat58 NEW MEMBER!

KevinS1965, good luck in your quest.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  15. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Yep:

See-thru grain = Olympic White
    Opaque = Blonde

16. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

I think you have that backwards.

MickM, KelvinS1965 and savofenno like this.
  17. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Haha...I didn't notice until you said Clifton. :)

I think this all started from low res photos/videos on the web. I have seen a CS model 'smuggler' Tele yesterday that looked opaque on my laptop screen, but was definitely blonde when I saw the exact same guitar in person.

I can't find one in stock anywhere reasonably near to me so I'll have to wait until one turns up to try as I won't buy blind these days having been burnt before. I'm sure the AV58 is a well made guitar, but if it doesn't suit my hands I'd end up selling it and losing money (happened before with a Les Paul bought blind).

18. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

It's funny, after the initial run of the Pure Vintage series, it seems like production has dropped way off from Fender. Maybe the reissue market is oversaturated.

19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

You might be right...can't seem to find one anywhere. I did get a quote for a CS Telecaster (with the neck humbucker option) but it was quite a bit more than I was expecting since I thought NOS would be cheaper than the relic options.

Still it's cheaper for me if I can't find one I guess...

20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

If you put a black pickguard on one of these, would it be very close to what a blackguard looked like when they were new versus what the 52 AVRI looks like?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.