Auxin quality Fender GT40 vs BOSS Katana 50

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by faasie85, May 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. faasie85

faasie85 Tele-Meister

Hi,

I already own a few amps but am searching for a nice practice amp. I want to buy 2nd hand and trying side by side is kinda hard.

Does anyone know if the katana 50 is any good as a music playback device? According the reviews the gt40 is great for bluetooth streaming music. But Im wondering is the katana is any good when playing music from the aux in??

I know that the katana is not a real modelling amp and that is what appeals to me. Also it looks noce and sturdy. The gt is a modelling amp and not as stage ready and looks less sturdy but mighty purty. But what is important for me for this practice amp is te ability to play music with nice quality.

Thank you for your suggestions / reviews / tips.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  2. faasie85

faasie85 Tele-Meister

After reading some more I think ill go with the gt40. As expected the common guitarspeaker is not designed for playing back music but the gt40 speakers do.

3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I have both, and I think that since the GT40 has FR speakers, it will probably sound better. FWIW, I like the guitar and backup I'm playing to to be separated, 'cause I think it sounds better that way. So, I use one amp for the backing tracks, and one amp for the guitar I'm playing along with the backing tracks.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  4. faasie85

faasie85 Tele-Meister

Which amp gets more playtime in your home?

This will be my livingroom setup. I currently dont have an easy accesible bluetooth streaming device. So even when not playing I will use the amp for listening to music.

A seperate device would be the best option indeed and then I would go for the katana as an amp. But I currently dont want to spend money (and space) on two new toys :)

5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I had been using the Katana more but have recently switched back to using the GT40 more, 'cause it has more sounds available, more effects, is much easier to edit (I like to do it right on the amp using the built in screen instead of going to the computer), and does a better job of sounding like a Fender BF amp at low volume.
    To get the best out of the GT40 you need to get it up at ear level, not down on the floor, where it will sound too bassy and lacking in highs, 'cause the speakers are very directional, and need to be facing you to sound best IMO. But you should try both and see which one you like more.

Cliffyg62 likes this.
  6. faasie85

faasie85 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice. Your reply in combination with the bluetooth streaming made my decision to try the gt40 first. Since its not that expensive I might get it new by mailorder so I can return if it doesnt work out.

Thanks for your info

7. faasie85

faasie85 Tele-Meister

Ive bought the gt40 and couldnt be happier. After unpacking I did understand al the bad reviews it got and almkst wanted to send it back. Streaming sounded muffled and the guitarsound wasnt much good either.

After updating the firmware and changing the global eq it came to live. Streaming is pretty good and connecting bluetooth is flawless. I also use it when not playing guitar. Guitar is also pretty nice. Ive got some trouble getting the pinch harmonicals but there are some very nice cleans and overdrives to cover all my styles.

Since its so small it fits nicely on the shelf in the living room and practicing is just turning it on, firing up spotify and playing along. I really love its simplicity and sound as a practice amp.

8. faasie85

faasie85 Tele-Meister

Duplicate post

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.