Aux out to headphone amp trouble

63telemaster

Tele-Holic
Not a question relating to guitar amps but I'm hoping someone here could point me in the right direction please.

I'm trying to build a headphone mix with an Aux output on my mixer. The Aux out from the mixer is 1/4 inch TRS mono and the input on my headphone amp is 1/4 inch TRS stereo. Running a standard 1/4 inch stereo cable just gives me lots of noise with audio only in the left side of my headphones.

I realise I'll have to make do with a mono mix but just wondering what's the best solution for this. I have a soldering iron and should have a couple of TRS plugs and cable around here somewhere.

63telemaster

Tele-Holic
Thank you, yes I've already tried a standard 1/4 inch guitar cable. The aux out on the mixer is indeed balanced 1/4 inch TRS.

Just been looking around and I found this posting which seems to cover my query. Looks like the solution lies in the 2nd post, can anyone please confirm?

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Thank you, yes I've already tried a standard 1/4 inch guitar cable. The aux out on the mixer is indeed balanced 1/4 inch TRS.

Just been looking around and I found this posting which seems to cover my query. Looks like the solution lies in the 2nd post, can anyone please confirm?

And what was the difference in the result? Mono, no noise, noise?

63telemaster

Tele-Holic
And what was the difference in the result? Mono, no noise, noise?
Can't remember other than it didn't do the job 😇 I was at my friend's house and we were going through the rig for a show in a couple of weeks so we were having to sort out lots of things.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
You probably just need a cable that has TRS with the tip and ring connected together for the headphone amp and just a TS for the mixer output. So, a typical mono TS to stereo TRS should work.

63telemaster

Tele-Holic
Thanks for the help, I'll try out a couple of these suggestions when we next get together.