Automated Strike Zone for MLB.. Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stealyerface, Sep 21, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

NONSENSE! Right down the middle! Brett Gardner's dog shouldn't like him. His mailman should steal his pizza. His car smells. He's a brat so he deserves to be punished whenever possible. Umpiring isn't about consistency and fairness. It's about being mean to brats.

When Brett Gradner (and Harper and Puig) are batting.

Otherwise, yeah. WAY outside. Some umps are punitive showboats.

Still, personality and grievance-dramas are part of what makes it baseball....

GGardner likes this.
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

baseball needs to do something to get a young fan base...maybe some changes should be made...its not like they havent changed before

7 innings
    120 games a season
    a clock for pitchers so they wont take so long

speed the game up for crying out loud!

FenderLover likes this.
  3. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I think that some games and some calls are too important to have them blown by a bad call. It’s also unfair.
    I think that the manager from either side should be able to have the call reviewed from three angles just like the one posted above.
    Everyone gets to see the recording both managers and the senior ump decide the outcome of the disputed call.
    The particulars can be ironed out but this way a bad call doesn’t ruin a game.

4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, but isn’t it a Catch 22 (pun intended) that reviewing video slows down the game even further? I liked it when we didn’t have all the BS! Ted Kluszewski muscle shirts! Yeah!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  5. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

You could argue that most of the things that are good about baseball are t preindustrial things. No clock, the slow pace, the standing around. You could argue that, and it would be a reasonable argument

But I’d go with robot umps. The ump has was too much power in crucial situations. The strike zone seems to shift all the time. A robot ump would allow baseball to adjust the strike zone to address the hitter/pitcher imbalance as needed.

But I’d also like some kind of a timer. The game just takes forever, especially when you start bringing in relievers and pinch hitting and bringing in new relievers and conferrrimg on the mound, along with the players stepping out of the box to preen.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

That's a big NOPE!

7. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

I still think it should be a combination of both. Hitters can see the ball well enough to hit it. Umps should be able to see the ball well enough to know if it were a strike or ball. They should be graded, and the ones that are serious would improve their calls. Also, what I am proposing is instantaneous. It should have no impact on the time of the game.

As far human error being part of the game goes, that ship has sailed. There are replays now and every time a call is proven wrong you can bet that the players appreciate the correction. That is the nature of being an athlete for most people. You do your best and expect fairness for it. Football players excepted. :)

8. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

LOL, especially at the Bryce Harper bit. Put Manny Machado (of "I ain't Charlie Hustle!" fame--reminds me of that Ricky Watters press conference) on the list and I'm right there with you!

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  9. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

That would be a different game - no thanks. Speed up the game? Limit commercials to 2 minutes between innings like it used to be back when games were routinely under 2 hours.

Chip and Ben-Zion like this.
  10. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

In general, I hate instant replay (even though I admit it has its place). But the strike/ball call could be a lot more seamless. The plate umpire wears glasses that blink green for strike and red for ball and he makes the call (yes, only he can see the blink). He still has to be there for balks and foul tips and hit by pitch, plays at the plate, etc. so let him just get a computer aid. But the machine had better be 100%. If not, them let the ump overrule as he (or "she" someday) sees fit.

11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I don't think you can have an umpire overrule the automated strike - it either works or it doesn't.

12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

a clock is coming...and make their commercial revenue stream less...thatll never happen

13. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

World Series game 7 bottom 9th tie game bases loaded, 3-2 count - and the umpire awards a Series winning ball to be called because the pitcher went over by 1 sec? The clock will never be implemented in MLB.

14. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Clocks in baseball are stupid ideas IMHO. They are foreign to the game. Getting calls right isn’t. Big difference.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  15. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

There’s been science in sports for umpteen years and some us very useful, like in the NFL where game turning plays are now reviewed. I don’t see a pitch call in MLB as a game turning play except in rather rare circumstances. Yes, I know there are exceptions in big baseball games, thus “rare”.

I love baseball and especially the tension between pitcher and batter; it’s one of the key elements of the game. I don’t see automated pitching calls doing anything positive there. There are many reasons some older pastimes need some attention but for MLB we are burdened with “bullpenning” and other stuff that lengthens a game. Super long games get to me, but to be honest I’m not sure that shortening them to even thirty minutes max would bring in legions of young fans. Times and attention spans have changed. Most real sports fans I know still love baseball.

For me: how about about a simple time restriction on time between pitches and for goodness sake, how many timeouts does a batter need? That won’t change much with bullpenning at the fore, though.

Nightclub Dwight and Ben-Zion like this.
  16. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I love baseball. It’s not a perfect game....NO, it is THE perfect game.

Instead of an automated strike zone, I would rather have the umpires with poor ratings/grades fired and drummed out and banned.

As others have mentioned, the pace of play is just too excruciating though. And it is part pitchers, but it’s mostly batters. I mean, stepping out of the box and readjusting your gloves EVERY GOSH DANG OL’ pitch is utter nonsense. I just don’t understand why MLB seems unable or unwilling to implement a pitch or batter clock. The 24 second clock in b’ball was unusual at first, but now I can’t imagine the game without it

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Like it or not, umps, and all the human elements that come with them, are as much a part of the game as the players are. We don't want robot players, do we? I feel exactly the same way about umps. Maybe they cheat, maybe they're biased, maybe they stink at their jobs, maybe they blow it, maybe they're inconsistent. But that's the game. It ain't fair. It's humans being humans, and that's what makes it worth watching at all.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  18. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If it speeds the game up, I’m for it. Baseball, while always slow, has gotten ridiculous.

19. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I'd be even less inclined to watch MLB if they use computers to call balls and strikes.

Stubee likes this.
  20. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Totally against the automated strike zone. Baseball, next to music, is the great love of my life, but it's a 19th Century pastoral game. Reasonable adjustments can be made (and have been) re: the pace of play, but it will never be the NBA or NFL, both of which I detest.

Stubee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.