Auto Wah Help

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Xian Steffen, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Xian Steffen

Xian Steffen Tele-Meister

Okay. I need some input. Been playing with some gospel players more regularly and need to funk up my sound a bit. I've got a Wah but just can't manage playing, wah-wah-ing and singing at the same time. Been thinking about switching over to an envelope filter or auto wah. Listened to a bunch of stuff online and the Mad Professor Snow White seems to have the richest tone (and price tag). A lot of the envelope filter pedals seem a bit harsh.

Anyone got some recommendations for me of pedals to look into? Could use the help before spring $350 on the Snow White (unless it really is the best option).

Thanks.

2. andrenighthound

andrenighthound Tele-Afflicted

i think they make a pcb board version of the snow white now. Same sound just less expensive.

3. Xian Steffen

I thought so too. Not seeing it on their site or anywhere else. I'll take a closer look.

4. andrenighthound

andrenighthound Tele-Afflicted

Let me know if you find it. I like to check it out myself.

5. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

If you're willing to drop that kind of green on an autowah, check out the Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter.
    -Mr. N.

6. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

I use an autowah in church for the same reasons on some songs. I still take my Wah with me for the slower songs that I can keep up with using my foot. If it's too fast, the autowah gets kicked in.

I use the Ibanez Tone-Lock AW-7.
    it's great because it has a lot of built-in options for sound. It has a built in distortion unit that you can use with the wah (before or after) and it also has a Low-Pass-Filter function. I have never used it but it does something I guess...
    One thing I can say about the pedal is that it requires a good pickup to push the signal. On my weaker guitar, I had to have the volume maxed out in order for the pedal to see the signal from the guitar. On my current guitar I can keep the volume of the guitar at the same level when I kick in the AW-7 because both my pickups are HOT. I got the pedal cheap and used at a music store for $30.00 a year or so ago. It's pretty tough, I used it solely before I got my Vox Wah pedal.

[​IMG]

7. Chutist

Chutist Tele-Holic

+1

And check Craigslist. I remeber seeing one on there in LA or Orange county last week. ;)

8. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Check out the Proton. Cheaper than the Snow White and nails the 70s Mutron sound.

9. BluesHound

BluesHound Tele-Holic

I have a Digitech SynthWah, sounds ok to me, but maybe my standards are low. Don't use wah much, so it does for me.:cool:

10. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

11. linn-art

linn-art TDPRI Member

I made pretty good experience with the EHX Riddle. It has a blend knob (if you just want to funk up your sound more subtile) and especially the start / stop knobs are very usefull.

12. Durango Twango

Durango Twango Tele-Meister

I've been getting great results with a Robotalk 2.

13. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

You may be able to find a Line6 FM4 for $100 or so used. That will cover all your wah/filter bases, and many other insane bases you weren't aware of. :cool: It's rather large though, and may be overkill.

On the other side of the size spectrum, there is the Guyatone wah-rocker.

Subdecay Proteus and/or Prometheus both seem very cool to me. Also the WMD Fatman. Just throwing out some names for your consideration that you may not have heard of. Good luck hombre.

14. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

I'm obsessed with zVex pedals at the moment. Check out the Ooh Wah. It you like, you can build a clone from the PCB on the Mad Bean site, the Dig Dug. You'll probably have to be pretty brave to try the Dig Dug, but it could happen (you'd save a bundle, but it would still be spendy)!

BYOC has a Envelope Filter & Fixed Wah pedal kit for $75. Much easier.

15. Xian Steffen

Finally broke down and emailed MP about the PCB version of the Snow White Auto Wah. Here's the response I got:

Hello Christian,

Thank you for your email.

Yes we have plans for the SWAW pcb-version, and that is the next pedal will start to work with after we get the Stone Grey Distortion production planning done.

The SWAW will be our later this year, I estimate that summer (june/july)....

Talk to you soon,
    Harri Koski
    "May the tone be with you"
    Mad Professor Amplification

Guess I'll try to hold out until then. Still thinking this is exactly what I'm looking for (minus the price tag).

16. silentechoes

silentechoes Tele-Meister

+1 on the BYOC. First kit of theirs I got and it is a pretty cool pedal.

17. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on Wilson Effects. Its a shame the Quack Factory is no longer available.

18. blingdogg

blingdogg Tele-Meister

I have an Ibanez AW7 autowah too, and it's great. Very versatile, good wah sound and tone, and it doesn't cost much either.

19. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

YAY!!! I'm not the only one!!!
    :D

20. blingdogg

blingdogg Tele-Meister

Yeah! :p I think they're pretty underrated pedals. I don't hear many people talking about them, or see it being used as much compared to other pedals, but they are very nice-sounding. I can get so many wah sounds from it, and the built-in distortion is sweet too.

Maybe more people will see the light and we won't be the only users anymore! :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.