1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Author Tom Clancy Passes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jaimed, Oct 2, 2013.

1. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

2. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Oh, no.................unbelievable!

Rest easy, Mr. Clancy.

Edit time: Wait...is this legit? I'm not seeing anything in the media about this.

3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

RIP
    enjoyed a ton of his work.

4. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Hmmmm....I'm not finding anything in the media about his, save for an unsubstantiated Wikipedia page. Tom Clancy's website is bogged down, too...can't connect with it.

Until I see more proof, I'm calling BS.

5. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    If someone edits a Wikipedia page for something like this and the edit remains for more than about 5 minutes, then it's pretty certain that there's something to back it up. Wikipedia's community is VERY on top of stuff like that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24372224
    http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/02/tom-clancy-dies-aged-66

6. buckfuzzard

buckfuzzard Tele-Meister

RIP Tom....
    I'm calling not BS !

7. D.S.John

D.S.John Tele-Meister

It's been announced on the bbc news site.

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yep- From MSN site:

Tom Clancy, the author of several best-selling military thrillers including "The Hunt for Red October" and "Patriot Games," died Tuesday at a Baltimore hospital. He was 66.

Bing: More on Tom Clancy

Clancy's publisher confirmed the news to the New York Times. A spokesman for the author's literary agency William Morris Endeavor Entertainment did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In a career that spanned three decades, Clancy became one of the most successful figures in publishing. His name above a title was a calling card that conferred best-seller status on his espionage and military thrillers and inspired a dizzying array of tie-ins ranging from movies to video games. His books reveled in the technological details of spy-craft and weaponry, spending paragraphs recounting the various features of a nuclear submarine or a fighter plane, for instance.

His most enduring creation may have been Jack Ryan, the patriotic and morally upright CIA analyst turned politician at the center of more than a dozen novels including "The Sum of All Fears" and "The Cardinal of the Kremlin." The character was notable because his life and ascent mirrored the tectonic changes taking place in American foreign policy throughout Clancy's writing career, as the country moved away from Cold War brinksmanship and turned its gaze to terrorist threats in the Middle East.

The character will appear once again in "Command Authority," an upcoming novel scheduled for release on Dec. 3 that finds Ryan returning to the hot spot where it all started and grappling with a new threat in Russia.

The printed page could not hold Ryan. His literary exploits inspired four big-screen adventures, with Harrison Ford, Alec Baldwin and Ben Affleck all portraying the intelligence expert in commercially successful films like "Clear and Present Danger" and "The Sum of All Fears." "Jack Ryan: Shadow One," a fifth Ryan film starring Chris Pine and directed by Kenneth Branagh, opens in theaters this December.

In addition to films, Clancy lent his name to a series of popular video games such as "Splinter Cell" from game maker UbiSoft. He was also a part-time owner of the Baltimore Orioles.

A political conservative and prominent supporter of the National Rifle Association, Clancy made headlines when he blamed liberal lawmakers for gutting the CIA and indirectly causing the attacks on September 11.

"The CIA was gutted by people on the political left who don't like Intelligence operations ... and as a result of that, as an indirect result of that, we lost 5,000 citizens," the author told Bill O'Reilly during a FOX News appearance shortly after the attacks.

9. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Wow, it's true, then.....very sad day.

10. Missipimud

Missipimud Tele-Meister

I lol'd when I saw a comment somewhere that said ~"I'm sure he was taken out during a covert operation, just the way he would have wanted it".

11. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I saw it on Fox News this morning at the gym. I'm shocked. He was just a month older than my brother.

12. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear that.
    I've enjoyed many of his books.

R.I.P. Mister Clancy

13. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

RIP

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My young son and I read Red Storm rising at about the same time. Both of us had the same reaction when we neared the last 100 pages, damn, this is gonna be over pretty soon, then what?

I hope somehow, that you continue, even if only as a drop of rain Mr. Clancy. (Hopefully something altogether more fitting your station in life though.) Thank you Mr. Clancy!

15. flinx

flinx Tele-Meister

RIP Tom...You were a good one.

16. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    From my perspective, he invented the "techno-thriller" genre.

His early works had me entranced like very few books.

Not bad for an insurance salesman... ;)

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

He was younger than I thought. I used to work with people that knew him in his capacity as an insurance agent.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very sad news. I mistook him for 10 years older than that, easy. He's just one of those guys who was probably oldish when he was a high school kid.

Man, he had a lot of contacts. But, there are a few people like that around DC; believe me, they have access to some stuff.

I think his biggest challenge in recent years was, events would evolve/happen too fast; he'd get hold of a premise, and before you could get it into film form, events had all changed. I really don't expect more "real time" authors like him ever again. I think we're gonna have to be mighty thankful for Dexter Filkins and that's about it.

19. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Damn it. I loved "Hunt For Red October." I'm shocked, too, that he was so young.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.