Australian Pub Rock in the 70s

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by richiek65, Jul 31, 2021.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

2. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

Ground breaking lady, RIP

willie ray and Blackmore Fan like this.
  3. e-train

e-train TDPRI Member

That's awesome - I went to the Stage Door many times - the weird thing was I know I went there underage in oz (drinking age at the time was 18)- so I must have been 15 or 16 which seems unimaginable to me today but I had a great fake ID and was 6'2". And the lineups - I saw many of those bands - like any Aussie of my era, the oils were everyone's fave. InXS as an opener! Matt Finish's first album is one of the greats. Popular Mechanics, The Tactics, etc etc. and Outline - Bridging the Gap from Funk to Punk - used to play the Bayview in Gladesville on fridays. Cicadas did eat Five Dock.

My favorite moment there was through my sister's boyfriend (lawyer for the promoter) we got into the post-show gig at the Stage Door after the Angels supported Bowie at the SCG. Bowie did a couple of songs with the Angels. It was ridiculous seeing Bowie less than 100 feet away. subsequently, I have met a load of people who said they were there. I was 15! It was the club with the lowest roof I've ever seen.

Good Times!

/i
    p.s. trivia story - the Oils manager - Gary Morris was also the manager of that little InXS band (and named them) - he went to see Jimmy Grahamn, and decided to get out of the rock band managing game - so gave InXS to a booker he knew (Chris Murphy) who managed them to being the huge band they became.

4. rexhunta

rexhunta Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

trev333 and richiek65 like this.
  5. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

Frankie says, "Relax"...

StevesBoogie likes this.
  6. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

Great stuff!

7. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Doctor of Teleocity

My friend Phil Shields (RIP) borrowed my 63 Brown Deluxe to record this album.

I am sitting here in lockdown watching the Panthers play the Storm, cruising TDPRI on my iPAD, drinking Bundaberg rum and coke and noodling on a strat through the same amp.

Life is good.

richiek65 and Matt G like this.
  8. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I once worked a few hundred steps from the Dee Why Hotel. . . .

Jackadder, richiek65 and chezdeluxe like this.
  9. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If we're allowed to do early 80's......The Sunnyboys! In a post-disco era of keyboards, big hair and padded shoulders they were a gritty throwback to better (guitar) times....

trev333 and richiek65 like this.
  10. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

I'm from a slightly later era, but stories like these make me wonder what I might have been able to see had I left school at 16/17 like I originally planned to. Or at least moved to a decent capital city once I did finish.

Matt G and richiek65 like this.
  11. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Had a pile of footy team mates hanging out the windows of the Valiant Safari as we pulled into the carpark of the Floreat Hotel in 1982 to see the Sunnyboys....late, 'tired and emotional'.....did an extremely optimistic lap through the chokkers carpark while the boys were all shouting instructions and there was a space right at the front door! Must have been someone to do with either the pub or setting up for the band that had just left...pulled in alongside the queue snaking out from the door, the boys piled out and I commando rolled across the bonnet to the cheers of the crowd....the boys still laugh about it now. Great show, The Sunnyboys were a mighty fine band.

Matt G, richiek65 and trev333 like this.
  12. trev333

Jeremy Oxley was the guitarist in The Strand, the house band at our pub the Miami Hotel on the GC,,,, just an awesome guitarist... and qld junior surf champ one year.... a Kingscliff kid..

when the Strand guys didn't want to tour, he left went to Sydney to join his brother and form The Sunnyboys,,, some of the songs on their first LP were songs he played with The Strand at our pub....

when I first heard them on radio, I thought someone was ripping off Jeremy's songs, who were the Sunnyboys?... wtf...

it soon became clear it was him..;)

richiek65 and Jackadder like this.
  13. trev333

His brother's sydney band came up a few times to play at Miami pub...

Sly Invaders or Shy Invaders it was called, I think.....

chezdeluxe and richiek65 like this.
  14. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Trev .

From around 79 a band I was in , The Riff Rockets , played reasonably often at the Sunshine Coast at the Surfair and the Mooloolaba Hotel .On a couple of occasions supporting Doug Parkinson and Roy Buchanan when he was out here on a tour.

Maybe 1980 Arrived late at the opening of the Villa Noosa and got cancelled so went down to the new Coolum pub and set up and played for drinks and tips. One of the locals at Coolum was Shadow. I’m sure you know him .

Cheers Gerry

trev333 likes this.
  15. trev333

79-82 I was on the GC, then was out Amberley way on a turf farm for a year, then went back up to Coolum.

I was living in the caravan pk in Coolum when they built the new pub.... they said they were going to put free beer on opening day... they didn't...

70's we hung out at Mudjimba and they built surf air for us to party in...:lol::lol:.... saw lots of gigs there.... jumped the front bar and got through to the back or climbed over the back wall, through the high dunny window,,,, we ruled that place, our friends worked the bars...:cool:

the sunday sesh at Mooloolaba pub "thommos" was legendary..... I probably saw you guys play there, Chez...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.