Australian Members Club

Discussion in 'International Member Clubs' started by w3stie, Feb 28, 2013.

1. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You could also inquire at the Northern Daily Leader newspaper. They would have all their past photos archived and should be able to do a search to see if they have anything.

2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Sent them an email this morning, one of the band members back in the day was Warren Derwent who went on to win as a soloist so I have him on the hunt as well.

3. Joombi

Joombi TDPRI Member

Hey Hoodie, If you get a chance get down to the South Bowlo & catch an Alby Pool show. a couple of good mates of mine & my brother, all NQ boys backing him.
    the Lead guitarist, Anthony Taylor (Keep this name in mind for future reference gents!!!) is playing a Tomkins Tele & he really knows how to wield it, check them out.

4. HoodieMcFoodie

TCMF Update

Day 6:
    First port of call tonight was the Locomotive Hotel to see The Prairie Oysters, featuring the TDPRI's very own Dave_O on guitars. It was great to catch up with Dave again and watch them belt out their own brand of "Country, country, country and proud of it" as they put it. I've never been to "The Loco" before as it's tucked away in a side street and looks a bit decrepit from the outside, but I tell you it has possibly the best band room of all the pubs in Tamworth, except for maybe the Longyard.

After watching a couple of sets my brother wanted to catch a bit of Johnny Taylor, as he and Johnny have some mutual friends. However when we got to that pub Johnny was just finishing his set, so we headed upstairs to see Rod Dowsett instead. Rod has been a festival staple for years and plays a tough brand of country, honed through many years on the road travelling all over Australia.

Day 7:
    Last night we headed off to the Longyard to catch The Pigs, but first we were entertained by Franky Walnut, who sings quirky little ditties like "Where Have I Been all Your Life?" and "Ernie Dingo's Got My Baby". He had the room roaring in laughter, but also displayed fantastic musicianship.

Finally The Pigs came on and the party began. For those not familiar with their style, they do a mixture of originals and covers all set to a thumping, relentless country beat. Acoustic guitars, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, upright bass & a stand-up drummer who had the most amazing facial expressions. Fantastic harmonies. The covers included J-Lo's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)", Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" & Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough". Again they had fantastic musicianship and had the dance floor packed from the first song until the last.

5. HoodieMcFoodie

I'll see what I can do. I'm rapidly running out of time to see everything. :D

6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

A neighbour and friend, Julian Mather, received a golden guitar award in 1994 for his part in the production of the very first award in the video category. He was a world travelled ABC cameraman and did the shoots for Greg Champion's "May your fridge be full of coldies".

He said the reaction of motel staff and passersby the morning after the awards night when they spotted the "Golden Guitar" in his room was great fun.:)

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The Locomotive Hotel was where we spent most of our time.... it was a bikers pub back in the 80's..... a bunch of us would ride down from Qld...
    it's on an L shaped bit or road and backs onto the railway tracks.... both sides of the road for a hundred yards were rows of bikes..... group of guys were arriving/leaving all day... many sleeping with their bikes .... exciting times...

they had a small stage on the south end footpath for bands... there was someone playing inside... and out the back was a big beer garden where there were battle of the bands/talent quests going on all the time... and a few bigger artists for the night show....

packed everyday.... with your average bodgie types and country farm boys.... yee haa....

never seen so many bikes at a pub..people would drive by to check them out......;)

there was never any real trouble or fighting.... good times..:)

that was until the local police wanted a "family friendly" event and eventually harassed the group bikers out of town...

. though, I'm sure many still ride there for the festival...

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I love the film clip chezdeluxe posted. What the heck, I'll be in the Aussie club. My chooks are doing fine and giving me lots of eggs and anyone who likes a beer won't go short around here. How about we bring back the egg jokes? My brain is scrambled at the best of times. Cheers!

9. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I remember that song, very "of it's time" though.
    How is the Aussie versus USA stoush going Hoodie, any sign of it on the streets?
    Personally I cannot see what the fuss is about, surely C&W started in North America so if it has USA content so what, it's meant to isn't it?
    Bit like trying to Australianise the Blues.

10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Happy Australia day Bruce. You too Bruce.

from Bruce.

11. thinlefty

thinlefty Tele-Meister

And also happy Aussie day to all the
    Aussie Tele members and Bruce.

12. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

An important Australia Day message from the Governor General.

13. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

And the soap shy cricketers have just come second for the umpteenth time this tour

Definitely made Australia Day :cool:

14. trev333

yeh, we got out of that English jail again.....;)

my mate from Brazil decides to skype me... just as the last few overs were going down.... ahhhhh.... I'm glued to the TV....

I felt like ritchie calling out ball for ball to Brazil.... then Watto grabs the last wicket with 3 balls to go and 3 runs to get.... whew!...

Oh yeh...you little ripper... on Aussie day, too,,, Awesome!,,,..;)

15. HoodieMcFoodie

Well folks the TCMF has all but wrapped up for another year. I got a bit behind in the updates because there was just too much going on. Let's see if I can remember...

Day 8:
    In the evening after work I took my girls to the main concert stage in the park to see the Star Maker Grand Final concert, which was won by a guy called Jared Porter. He was pretty good and probably the right person to take out the title this year.

Day 9:
    Saturday morning we went down to Peel St to watch the Country Music Cavalcade, which is a parade of country music stars along the main street.
    Some ride in cars, others have a float on the back of a truck, others still parade in their tour bus. It's a great atmosphere with marching & pipe bands etc.

Later we all headed off the see The Hillbilly Goats again. Some of us only got to see an abbreviated version of their act at the shopping centre previously, so it was good to see the whole thing this time. They explained that they play authentic Appalachian music and they told the history of the songs they played. It was very entertaining.

After that my Nephew (who only arrived in town at 2AM that morning) and I headed off to "The Pub" to get tickets for a show the next day. While we were there we caught a set by Mustered Courage
    who do a crossover between bluegrass and modern roots music. Part way through the set they told a story about how they met a guy a few years back called Mark, who ended up being Mark Gable from the Choirboys. Then they got him up out of the audience to do a bluegrass version of Run to Paradise.

Later that evening my nephew and I headed back into town to see some more bands and give him a bit of a taste of the festival nightlife. We ended up at the Tudor Hotel where a guy called Mitchell Steel was doing a solo set, just him and a guitar. He was very entertaining. Then this girl called Tanya Cornish got up and blew everyone away with her amazing voice.

Finally we caught a bit of the John Deer Band, a traditional country rock band from Austria of all places

Day 10:
    Today my brother & his son and I went off to see Kevin Bennet and the Flood do a gig that was advertised by word of mouth only. Kevin is one of Australia's best songwriters, right up there with the likes of Paul Kelly and was well worth the price of admission to see him and his band play.

This evening we headed back to the main festival stage for the Australia Day Concert, which featured We the Ghosts, Bec and the Big River Trio, Mustered Courage
    and The McClymonts. A great time was had by all.

Well there you have it.

16. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you so much, Hoodie. Marvellous job. Evocative, accurate and fair. Makes me want to get up there!

17. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Damn I hope Redd comes back next year and more importantly we find out before the event

18. trev333

Congrats to Jared Porter on his Starmaker win.... cool..:)

always good to see sunny coast musos on a national stage..... ;)

He comes from the Noosa/Cooroy back blocks ...

19. Neill Levine

Neill Levine Tele-Meister

Sydney-based here.
    I'm looking to buy a vintage tele, but now that Jackson's has closed, I'm not sure where to go looking.
    Any shopping tips?

Neill (of the inner-west)

20. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

One of our members here works for Fender Australia and I guess he'll be along shortly with some pointers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.