Australian Members Club

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
still getting smashed up here... as usual, the only cloud is over us..:(

Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 10-22-24 128 km Gympie (Mt Kanigan) Radar Loop.png

Count

Friend of Leo's
Tenterfield is just over the top of the Great Dividing Range or on top of it, depends who you ask, (The official top of the range sign is about 5Km to the east of town.) so it gets wet stuff from all directions.

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
I'm going to get a little nostalgic....

I've just read that Alvey fishing reels are closing down and will cease manufacturing in June (they were closing down in 2017, but got an 11th hour reprieve). This time could well be curtains for real.

Quote from that article:
"When the company came near to collapsing in 2017, many theorised that because the original reels were built so well customers never needed to buy another."

Aint that the truth.

This one (below) I've owned since I was a child. It was already second-hand when I bought it for $29 in 1985 with money I earned collecting aluminium cans (I remember it was $29, because the reel I wanted to buy cost $45, but Dad over-ruled me) [He was right]. My Dad (now 83) then made a rod up with an old 12'6" fibreglass blank. He sawed about 12" off the butt to suit the alvey, bound on 5 runners, and used butchers string for the grips. My first real fishing rod (still at my folks place).

So the reels are very nostalgic for me.
I've got maybe 6 or 7 Alvey reels now (all yellow fibreglass with stainless steel backs, not the more modern ones).
Not that I fish very often these days.

That particular reel reminds me of standing up to my thighs in the cold winter water, as dawn breaks on Seven Mile Beach at Lennox Head, while casting blue pilchards on ganged-hooks into the surf, trying to catch some Tailor (USA: Bluefish).

If you think about it, a sidecast reel is the telecaster of the fishing-reel world.
Simple.
Reliable.
You can drop them and they don't break.
You can even wash them in salt water (tbh I'm not sure if you can do that with a tele)

Anyway, a sad day.

(I just noticed even the colour is quite like a 50s tele)

Alvey_Sidecast_reel.jpg

Last edited:

suthol

Friend of Leo's
I too have my first Alvey, just a little fella with the black bakelite drum, stainless back and line guide.

It would date to around 1964 or 65, I no longer have the Jarvis Walker blackfish rod that I bought at the same time, both from Mick Simmons in George St Sydney ( near Central )

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That particular reel reminds me of standing up to my thighs in the cold winter water, as dawn breaks on Seven Mile Beach at Lennox Head, while casting blue pilchards on ganged-hooks into the surf, trying to catch some Tailor (USA: Bluefish).
Our family spent a lot of time camping/fishing along the nth NSW coast. with Alveys,,, birdsnests.... took a while for us kids to get used to them, whereas the old timers were adept...

One time at the nth end of Shelley Bch Ballina there were cliffs the brave guys climbed and worked for big Tailor, Dad fished off the beach and got a nice green back for dinner,,,, fresh tailor yumm...

getting pippies and sand worms, pumping the creek banks for yabbies,,,,
good times...:)

yeah, hard to kill an Alvey....

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
One time at the nth end of Shelley Bch Ballina there were cliffs the brave guys climbed and worked for big Tailor, Dad fished off the beach and got a nice green back for dinner,,,, fresh tailor yumm...

Ballina is my home town.

Your comment sounds like a Ballina from the 1960s or earlier. Before Black Head (the headland at the north end of Shelly Beach) was mined for basalt to extend the northern breakwater.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
yeah, we mostly camped at old Pottsville from the early 60's on, before the bridge to the black rocks/new brighton was even there...with a few tours south to Iluka or Hungry head..

wild country back then, not much between those small coastal towns and not much in them either.... Ballina was always a good sized town...

they strip mined all the dunes/beaches from Kingscliff south back then, all the black sands/minerals were taken...

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
yeah, we mostly camped at old Pottsville from the early 60's on, before the bridge to the black rocks/new brighton was even there...with a few tours south to Iluka or Hungry head..

wild country back then, not much between those small coastal towns and not much in them either.... Ballina was always a good sized town...

they strip mined all the dunes/beaches from Kingscliff south back then, all the black sands/minerals were taken...
A few of my old bandmates now live up Pottsville/Burringbar, one of them still gigging in his 70s last i heard

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I hope you have a raincoat..;)

the morning started out dry and brightish...?.. as the last hour passed it got darker and darker.. I can hardly see the letters on my black keyboard under the soft warm glow of the monitor...

might have to go to the flouro.... feels like late afternoon with fading light at 8:30 am... sigh....

as another big blob of rain pushes in from the ocean with intent... :(