Australian Members Club

IanMoss

Tele-Holic
Speaking of spiders in Sydney, if you appreciate the work of Australian scientists, this might be of interest. It is an article about the first time the antidote to the venom of the Sydney funnel-web was used (no-one knew for certain it was going to work, and things got a bit dicey):

You might have to use an incognito window to read it (paywalled).

Prior to the night in question (February 1981) - 13 recorded deaths from Sydney FW spider bites

Since then, none, including the case mentioned in the article.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
The good news is that they seem to keep the birds out of the house. ;-)
.... and rodents.
Speaking of spiders in Sydney, if you appreciate the work of Australian scientists, this might be of interest. It is an article about the first time the antidote to the venom of the Sydney funnel-web was used (no-one knew for certain it was going to work, and things got a bit dicey):

You might have to use an incognito window to read it (paywalled).

Prior to the night in question (February 1981) - 13 recorded deaths from Sydney FW spider bites

Since then, none, including the case mentioned in the article.
The Scientific Method: if it hasn't killed him, give him some more. That's the spirit.
IFIAK they use women to milk funnel webs for venom..

Matt G

Tele-Afflicted
.... and rodents.
Now that you mention it, I put some mouse traps out on spec, but no takers yet.

No joke, though: this pair are the biggest spiders ever. Bigger than our old golden orb spider, for sure. And those things get the occasional bird.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Now that you mention it, I put some mouse traps out on spec, but no takers yet.

No joke, though: this pair are the biggest spiders ever. Bigger than our old golden orb spider, for sure. And those things get the occasional bird.
Don't worry ... a spider won't trip a mouse trap. They've a very delicate touch.

Twice now I've had a large spider (not a poisonous one) walking up my leg. Well, only two that I've actually noticed.
They like finding things to climb up. You hardly feel them at all.
You sometimes feel them (just lightly) when they run over your legs or feet as you're drifting off to sleep. Usually some playful huntsman.

Not wanting to put you off wearing shorts in summer, or sleeping above the sheets on those warm nights.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
If he gets deported from here he will possibly not get to play the US open, they take a dim view of someone who has been deported from or been convicted of a crime in another country

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I don't get it.... Wood gets 6 wickets bowling short at the body kind of bowling...

I don't think I've seen a short ball bowled yet by the aussies?.... geez.. take the hint guys.. try some yourself.. don't make it easy for them....;)

Matt G

Tele-Afflicted
I don't get it.... Wood gets 6 wickets bowling short at the body kind of bowling...

I don't think I've seen a short ball bowled yet by the aussies?.... geez.. take the hint guys.. try some yourself.. don't make it easy for them....;)
I haven't followed the cricket since I played as a kid, but I was out at the pub today and the test was on. Thinking the same thing as you, @trev333. Far too many bouncers for it to be an accident. Poor form. I'd be returning the courtesy, in spades.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
and the GOAT hasn't had a bowl yet in either innings?, you'd think the skipper would want to know if the wicket is taking spin...

clawing our way back into it....

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Can't see the goat getting a trundle in this innings either.

The ferrets are in now

( I hope that doesn't require too much explanation )

Last edited: