Australian Members Club

Discussion in 'International Member Clubs' started by w3stie, Feb 28, 2013.

1. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic

Smoke's really thick today in Armidale: we're safe here (to date) but with large bushfires north and east of here.
    I had a look on the RFS warning site: this fire season over 1% of NSW has been burnt out.
    Won't stop until we get decent rain.

From the RFS:
    Catastrophic fire danger on Tuesday
    Catastrophic fire danger is now forecast for the Greater Sydney and Greater Hunter areas on Tuesday 12 November 2019, due to worsening weather conditions. Large areas will see Severe and Extreme fire danger. These are very dangerous conditions.

I believe this is the first time the Greater Sydney area has been listed at this level.

trev333 likes this.
  2. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Count is fine, thanks for asking. Thick smoke over town but that's all. The nearest fire to us is between Torrington and Bolivia (about 20 mins south of town down the Highway) and it looks as though they have got that one under control. Trouble is we have so much thick bush in very rugged country in the National Parks and State Forests in the New England area. Once a fire gets going in it it's dificult to impossible to access. Sometimes they just have to be left to burn until the fire gets into moree accessible country.

trev333 and chezdeluxe like this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

11/11 ..lest we forget.....

Bloody Gum trees..grrrr... they love a good fire, don't they... my yard is covered in bark that the trees have been dropping along with sticks and leaves.... my neighbours boundary trees,,, if they were mine they'd be gone....

suthol likes this.
  4. trev333

Sweet, that cool southerly change just rolled through @4ish... dropped the air temp about 15 degrees in quick time...whew...

nearly cracked the ton outside today,,,,

can't be helping the fireys as it came up the coast... so many fires...

5. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

question for the crew, just asking some advice here.
    I am moving from melbourne to the Gold Coast for work and as a result have a few guitars to bring up!
    Most of the removal companies need a minimum 5 days (for express service) to get everything from Melb to GC. One of my concerns is my guitars sitting in trucks / containers in January during the transit if it is really hot? am i being over the top? I can try take 1 of my guitars up on a flight tomorrow but just wondering if i am being melo dramatic or what peoples thoughts are here?

6. trev333

Hire a van with air con and drive them up, maybe... one way to do it if you weren't already flying up...;)

7. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic

Take acoustic guitar by plane (your favorite if more than 1), and send others by road.

EuroBailey likes this.
  8. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

At a pinch I second kbold, although I'd rather have all guitars under control at all times. The simple truth is that non-players can't be trusted with guitars. If by truck, then pack them as well as you can manage.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You could pack them all up well and use a courier service to ship them to yourself.
    Then get your employer to pay the bill? You would get them in 2 to 3 days and you could insure them. Or you could express ship them if your boss is generous and have them in a day. You could put some candy in the box and it will be like getting a new guitar from Sweetwater.:D

I use pack and send online quote system and can place and pay for order in 10 mins, get a guitar picked up from my doorstep next morning and on its way to wherever you want. Would probably cost about $60 bucks per guitar at a guess.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    kbold and EuroBailey like this.
  10. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

I looked at this as it solved a few problems but the car alone is $1000... plus fuel / accom and time.... when I add the fact I have to get the rest of the house and a car up, it’s going to get a bit steep!
    New employer will pay up to a certain amount but give the other quotes this might stretch it I think

11. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Was probably thinking fav tele by plane... just because it’s also the most $$$ but from a heat perspective the acoustic makes sense . I fly to Bris tomorrow so considering taking my tele up with me and leaving it with a colleague. Otherwise I have a gs mini but it’s in a soft case :/

12. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Have a chat with a local music shop and see if they have any of the polystyrene boxes that some brands of guitars get shipped to them in. I bought a Gretsch resonator a few weeks ago and the shop owner let me have the poly shipping box that it arrived to him in. They give great protection and insulation.

Matt G likes this.
  13. simond

simond Tele-Meister

We relocated from London to Tassie 12 years ago. Took one guitar in the plane, the rest came by container with the rest of the household effects. 6 weeks and through the tropics on a slow boat. All arrived ok. About 18 instruments. The first thing I checked was my old Precision.

14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Trev have you used the SCA brand gloss acrylic clear coat they sell at supercheap over a enamel paint job before? I got a few cans on sale and am about to spray a body with Rustoleum 2X heirloom white. I've got a few cans of the Rustoleum 2X gloss clear too but wondered if the SCA stuff might be a better finish for micro mesh wet sanding seeing as its geared more towards auto finish?

20191115_073830.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    trev333 likes this.
  15. trev333

Yeah, I've tried most of the acrylics from the auto stores, they are all about the same.... my local hardware store has got rustoleum motospray acrylic which is good ...

if used SCA before it works ok ...

acrylics can be a bit brittle sometimes ... don't sand the base coats too fine... better to have the first coats key into something like 250/350 paper... after a few coats they blend into eachother, then wait a week to wet sand polish... less gumming up of the paper...

I had a SCA silver for putting under metal flake jobs....

paint cans3.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

So... all good... i ended up taking my best Tele on the flight yesterday and managed to get the GS mini onboard with me and it fitted into the overhead! if i had of known that i would have taken another guitar as well as my former employer allowed me to cart 80kg on flights. Now only have a few more to bring up that i think will cope with removalist. Thanks everyone for your help - just needed to get a few perspectives and ideas.

17. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

and - the flight took an hour less to get there than in winter.;)

18. trev333

ordered some magnets to hold the cover on... 20 for a few bucks...

3mm x 1mm N50 monsters,,, a few thousand Gauss and 120 grams of holding power each...

strong little suckers...

19. trev333

Gave the River tele to the kid today..... he couldn't believe I was going to just give it to him....

well, that was my plan, I couldn't change my mind.... bad karma...

got a hug....:D

river tele day1.jpg

Steve 78, kbold, suthol and 1 other person like this.
  20. trev333

I found some SO to make a new cover plate or two....

one was a bit dark after stain and a bit thin.. so, I made another one and got the size/ colour match closer..

SO covers12.jpg

SO covers14.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.