Australian Members Club

Discussion in 'International Member Clubs' started by w3stie, Feb 28, 2013.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

check out the latest "foreign correspondent" show on abc/iview.... backs up what I've been seeing here...

Insectageddon..... over 30 yrs of studies flying insect populations down by 3/4 in numbers..... crazy...

the bugs are disappearing...

Rob77 likes this.
  2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

No bees no us, just cockroaches and Keef

trev333 likes this.
  3. trev333

and they're still coming through.... after 18mins.... o_O:eek::cool:

there must be a big bike run on today,,,,, never seen so many bikes go through on the usual sunday ride through by some bike tour group/club..... I did see a lot of pink showing on riders...;)

an endless stream of bikes rumbling along the local main road, getting to the stop sign and turning left to go west.... what a bottle neck... all those brakes/clutches burning burning away, then revving up through the gears to catch up with the line, it must have smelled like a race track down there........:lol:

and then it was back to Sunday morning quiet.....:D

4. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

We noticed that our tomato plants havnt really been taking off on previous years and a quick google search on why generally leads to the flowers are not being pollinated. That makes sense as we have flowers in our backyard and havnt seen a single bee since winter.

Then day later heard on radio the "drought" has caused this reduction in bees so cost of honey will go up.
    Whatever the cause, it does seem that if bees go, we are screwed.

Matt G likes this.
  5. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

My Epiphone Les Paul Standard is due for a re-fret and its something I don't really want to do myself as Ive never done it before and I don't have too many other guitars that I can afford to ruin this one. So I've been looking for a Luthier in Southsdie Brisbane / Logan / Gold Coast area and so far the "rough" quotes I have received seem quite excessive for the price of this guitar? One quote was more than what I paid for the guitar.

I guess what I seek from the community here is an idea of what is a reasonable price for a complete re-fret from a Luthier? If it is as expensive as I fear it is, I may as well sell mine and put funds towards a new one, that prob has more features such as coil tap etc?

6. trev333

Another tele bass on the bench,,anyone finished silky oak?.... not sure what to do with this one piece slab...o_O

I could try some stains like a tobacco burst or some d/oil or z epoxy/ poly resin to seal then clear coat....

never worked with fancy stuff before... it would be nice to do it justice...:)

SO12.jpg

Chunkocaster and HoodieMcFoodie like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would consider staining it with a dark brown then sanding it off first. Then a vintage amber and do the same thing. Then clear and spray a tobacco burst over that so if you mess the burst up you can still salvage it. Staining it first and rubbing it back would bring that grain out and make it really pop. It would look 3d once the clear went on.
    The colortone wood stain stuff from Stewmac is great for that. Just need about 8 drops in a small cup of water to dilute it and it would do a full coat on the body depending on how dark you want to go.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Matt G and trev333 like this.
  8. trev333

these are what prooftints I've got here to mess with,,, and some offcuts from the slab to test...

Prooftint33 text sm.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like the shellac and the Danish oil out of those. Hard to know what they will look like once applied and rubbed back as ive only stained with the colortone wood stain diluted with water. You can always flood the wood with plain water to get it out if you go too dark with that stuff. I dampen the wood first with plain water on rag to raise gran, knock down with sandpaper and repeat until no grain raises. Then lightly dampen the body and then apply the diluted stain. Doing it that way reduces the chance of it looking blotchy and uneven.

My first coat with dark brown or tobacco brown would look like the walnut in your pic all over the body but I would sand that all off until you couldn't see it. The dark brown would stay in the grain and highlight it as you progressed to clear in later coats.

I don't think that process works the same though when trying to do it with actual finishes like oils and shellac because they are sealing as you apply and the next coat wont mix with them and absorb into the wood grain.

It works excellent with colortone stain, transtint etc diluted with water. I think some leather dyes are very similar. The colortone stuff is pricey but ive done about 6 necks and 4 bodies with it and ive barely used any visable amount from the bottle. Should last a decade or more unless you start cranking out guitars all year long.

Doing that process and using tru oil turns plain figured wood into impressive pieces. That body of yours already looks great so would look full on extreme figured if you do that process. Those quarter sawn looking areas would dance around like crazy in the light.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    trev333 likes this.
  10. trev333

got the hang stick on..getting serious now....;)

stained with a brew I concocted with oak, walnut and g/teak adding bits along the way with successive wipes...... sanded back to 800.... I might try some d/oil next... this wood is harder that I thought,it might be good to oil up...

bit warm today,:rolleyes:.. the metho on the staining rag was nearly dry before it got to the wood...:D

SO13.jpg

SO14.jpg

SO15.jpg

thermo nov 19.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

How’s everyone coping with the fires today?
    I was talking to a guy that lives here at my gig last week..

73ADAE09-5CB5-4E45-A493-33CE6782078F.jpeg 73ADAE09-5CB5-4E45-A493-33CE6782078F.jpeg

12. trev333

I gave it a drink of d/oil late this arvo.... the oven like conditions dried it off in no time,,, I put 2 rubbed on/off coats on for now, that should seal it a bit and give me an idea of how it looks,,,...

SO18.jpg

SO16.jpg

Chunkocaster and 650thunderbird like this.
  13. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I've found that all the Grevillia species are very open pored and soak up finsih like a sponge. Best results I have had have been to keep applying shellac or an oil like true oil and sanding back until the pores are filled with the finish. Once that is done just keep applying the finish as you would for any other timber. make sure the Silky Oak is well seasoned though as it does love to change shape on you when you least expect it. :( If you want some real fun try using the Grevillia species called Honeysuckle. You can cut a plank and it will twist into a propellor shape as you watch it.

trev333 likes this.
  14. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

The current fires seem to be getting even uglier than the last ones. I hope all you chaps and your extended families are safe and well.

trev333 likes this.
  15. trev333

yeah it's getting ugly for this summer already.... smoky as hell up here...

16. trev333

My old mate from school days Rod Birtles passed away this week....:(

We didn't believe him at school when he told us his uncle on his mum's side was in the Zoot... Beeb... yeah right... then he showed us some pics of them together on a family visit....his mum was from adelaide and funnily enough was in the WRANs during ww2 with my aunty who was from adelaide too, they spent their married lives in brisso... mrs B was way cool....

Rod played harp around the blues clubs/bars around brisso through the years and always carried a few with him in case someone called him up from the crowd to play a song or two...which happened often and unrehearsed... fun times at the breakky creek front bar drinking off the wood and rocking the Orient pub......his dad drank at the front bar of the creek too, the staff all knew Rod from teen days...

Loved his old BSA, though never got it back on the road.... loved his fox terriers and had a Quarrion parakeet that would whistle a tune with him while sitting on his shoulder...

I worked with him for years as a 2 man landscaping team and had a fun time sweating our guts out building gardens/rock/sleeper walls, etc... and enjoying a few beers after work...

Kept his cancer to himself at the end... we never knew about it until after he died.... shame that...

I miss you already old mate... rest well...:)

17. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Sad news Trev, you obviously have great memories of him to cherish

trev333 likes this.
  18. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Our local RFS has told us to be on our toes on Tuesday, pack now and be ready :(

19. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Stay safe Dave. I hope Count is OK

Matt G likes this.
  20. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Thanks, apart from the family pics and some essentials I'll be packing a Tele and both PCs with the digital pics and all of our recorded tracks tonight.

Stay safe and be prepared everyone in the threatened areas across the country

Matt G likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.