Australian Members Club

Discussion in 'International Member Clubs' started by w3stie, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Good luck, mate. Hope it gets put out soon.

2. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

god... it s basically the end of winter and it s already on....

be safe folks...

dlew919 likes this.
  3. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Does not take much for a fire to start when everything is tinder dry and there is no moisture in the atmosphere. Only good point is that areas that are getting burnt now won't burn again in three months time. Not that that thought is much compensation for those who have lost homes and livelyhoods in the current fires.:( Some of our firies have been going non stop for a week now. They finished with the fire here and have now been shifted down to the Drake fire or over the border into Queensland to the Stanthorpe fire and a new one at Ballandean. Helicopters are bucketing water from our town dam (already down to a few months supply) to fight the Ballandean fire and the Drake fire. Lack of water is really making things difficult if not impossible.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

They had 5 choppers and that jet plane dropping stuff on the fires today.... fortunately it's right along the edge of a tidal lake Weyba.... plenty of water to get for the fireys ...

the damage has been down graded to a few houses and sheds, etc... no loss of life...lucky..

it's still a danger to people as the wind is still strong and changing..... more s-se than sw....

5. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Looking at the morning news, things around Peregian were a lot worse than I realised. A very close-run thing. And I'm guessing it's not entirely over, either. Here's a photo lifted from The Australian.

Peregian Beach Fire.jpg

trev333 likes this.
  6. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

wow, that bugger got close... is that the fire lit by the 2 teenagers ??

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  7. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Not sure.

(Time to bring back floggings, though.)

8. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

HEATHEN !!! CHILD BEATER !!! lol...

sorry mattg... i should have said allegedly... :)

9. trev333

the two teens have been charged ... they can't release names or details as they are minors..:rolleyes:

which might save them from a public lynching... the dills posted on fb they lit a fire in a carton then kicked it trying to put it, starting the bushfire.... the cops were straight onto them...:lol:

Still burning in places back of Peregian and it's swung from S winds to NE winds and swirling around as the day goes on... the fireys will be still hard at it...the air is blowing smoke my way...

It's dry, I've been watching a constant stream of green parrots and other birds drinking at the water bowl on the veranda, all day..

ozcal likes this.
  10. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

fires are fvcked... whether lit by kids or old pyros or lightening strikes... the town of paradise, or pleasure, as our president called it got wasted by fire in november last year... it s about an hour up the road from here - now it s pretty much all gone.... totally sucks... lots of people lost everything... norcal reminds me in of oz in lots of ways... high fire danger, desert / dry conditions regarding water, pumping surf, relaxed people, open mindedness etc etc...

thanks to the fireys in both oz and the US and worldwide... you folks are true heros !!

suthol, Shango66 and trev333 like this.
  11. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I was living up on the Pittwater for the 1994 Kuringai fires, and in Canberra for the 2003 fires. Got off very lightly. Cost me nothing but a lot of worry and a certain amount of disruption. That said, I also know a semi-retired guy who lived in Paradise during their recent fires. He lost everything but his cat and the clothes on his back.

One finds it increasingly tiresome to see each new generation of antisocial idiots playing with matches during the fire season.

Hiker and ozcal like this.
  12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

When Canberra was going up in flames, the trees at our house filled up with visiting birds who'd been chased out of the west by flames and smoke. We put out plenty of water for them. They were very quiet and peaceful; probably in a form of shock. At that point the fires were at their worst and still on the move. Very somber sitting there with the winged refugees, waiting to see if we were next.

13. trev333

the mob... just put out some sunflower seeds for the greenies... let the squabbling begin....all heads down, they look hungry..

I usually close the front door at this time..... they get a bit noisy ..;)

the mob.jpg

ozcal, Shango66 and Matt G like this.
  14. trev333

It's hard to get a pic of how nice this cabots carbathane spray poly lays down.... I'm getting these mostly flawless coats off the can, the spray has a fine mist and flows together well after a few passes, no orange peel look......... it sticks well and doesn't tend to run if you go lightly, skins off quickly and flattens more as it dries... tough and hard to scratch when cured....

I had about a 1/3 of a can left for a first finish coat... got nice coverage all over.... I might even leave it like this without getting another can to do another coat....

tele river shine1.jpg

tele river shiny3.jpg

Steve 78, Hiker and suthol like this.
  15. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful Trev.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trev333 likes this.
  16. trev333

Last week when we had those high winds and fires, I had just put my first finish coat on and it was gassing off outside on the clothesline under the back veranda..... I kept my eye on it and it wasn't swinging around too much.... into the evening there was this huge gust and a clatter of things outside. I went out and saw the body swinging and things blown around, I moved the body up stairs to a safer place and went inside...
    The next morning I go and get it to hang it in the sun and find a BIG DING on the upper bout....:eek:

the body must have been blown past 45 and swung back to hit the corner of the bench..... arrrggghh.. poly is hard to repair and feather in... I was so mad I got the 80 grit out and attacked it....:mad:

spent the last week fixing it as best I could without stripping the whole finish and starting again.... I used it as an exercise in fixing poly....

came up ok.....:rolleyes:

tele drying.JPG

tele bench corner arrows1.jpg

after first repair... I didn't take a pic of the fresh ding, I went straight to the 80...;)

tele ding.jpg

as it looks today.

tele river ding repair2.jpg

Chunkocaster and dlew919 like this.
  17. trev333

It's been dry up here... a brown out...not much action on the lawn. I got the mower out the other day to run over the weeds to tidy the yard up...

came up to a patch and almost mowed it, but I stopped and saw it was a Tomato plant struggling away in the bare ground?... it hasn't had any water, it hasn't rained for months, yet looked healthy with small fruit on the branches....

I thought I'd save it.... the ground was so hard the pickets only went in a few inches... stabbed around the plant with a screwdriver to open up the ground a bit, got a water line down there and some seasol and gave it a good drink/feed as well as tying up some runners to get them off the ground....

I might put a net over it if the green fruits get attacked by hungry critters....

Mmmmm, the possibility of fresh wild Tomatoes... yumm..:)

OMG!!!!.. I'm gardening..:eek::lol:

DSCN2420.JPG

DSCN2421.JPG

18. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Some of the best tomatoes I've had were self-seeded. Mind you, self-seeded into a pretty well established bit of vegetable patch. Maybe blast that with some special tomato fertiliser to help it on the way?

trev333 likes this.
  19. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Not the result of too many Bundy's is it Trev ;)

trev333 likes this.
  20. trev333

nah, not these days.... been a good boy...

haven't had a good up and under on the bundy for ages...:lol:

suthol likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.