1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Australia lost a giant yesterday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by richiek65, Mar 2, 2021.

1. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Michael Gudinski. Founder of Mushroom Records. Signed hundreds of acts over many decades. He signed Split Enz and they became one of the biggest bands NZ/Australia had ever seen, strange as they were when they first arrived. If there was no Gudinski, there would be no Split Enz. If there were no Split Enz, there would be no Crowded House. (For this, I'll even forgive him for Kylie Minogue).

Even Springsteen honoured him with a few words here
    https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/michael-gudinski-dead-age-68-mushroom-records/13206284

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Wow, and just 68. Coincidentally, we watched a bit of Neil's "Sessions at West 54th" the other night. Hard for me to imagine my musical world without the Finns or CH, that was some find. RIP.

richiek65 and 24 track like this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

its always sad when an Icon slips away, a bit of history is stamped and finalized. we can be thankfull for their contributions

richiek65 likes this.
  4. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Kylie Minogue was more tolerable than most of the pop divas whose success owes more to marketability than talent. Maybe it was a function of the fact that she wasn't at the top of the charts long enough to really get on my nerves. And maybe I just thought she was very attractive. Or maybe it was both. Signing her was certainly not a misstep in my book! Plus I bet someone played a Tele on one of her albums somewhere, right?

Edit: Ok, it takes a big man to admit when they're wrong - at least that is what I am telling myself because I just watched part of her only hit I knew ("Can't Get You Out of My Head"), and it is too insipid and repetitive to be interesting. And it seems time embellished her appeal in other areas as well.

richiek65 likes this.
  5. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Big shock. Really liked a lot of the artist on the Mushroom label. Plus he bought some great touring acts to Australia over the years. A very clever man and it would seem loved by a lot of people.

richiek65 likes this.
  6. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I hope you have or find a replacement soon!

richiek65 likes this.
  7. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Vale Michael Gudinski. Mushroom Records music was a soundtrack to the childhood of anyone growing up in Australia in the 1980s.

Some snippets from media articles:

"At its peak in 1987, Mushroom turned over $50 million, and had a 10% share of the Australian recorded music market. This was massive for an independent operation. The only other indie to equal this was Alberts, which had AC/DC, The Angels, John Paul Young and Rose Tattoo."

"a career of huge success and a few missed opportunities (he said he twice knocked back signing Men At Work)"

(which, one article noted, would have given him the US #1 he wanted)

richiek65 likes this.
  8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

LIVE now, a concert for Micheal.. , Barnsey is singing ...:cool:

richiek65 likes this.
  9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

RIP. That is very sad news.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.