1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Austin questions

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ward, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Heather Anne Peel

Heather Anne Peel Friend of Leo's

Chuy's is indeed awesome. The one on 183 and Duval is the best, IMHO.
    8) Heather

2. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    I'd say that everyone has done a good job of describing Austin. It is way fun. Go to Waterloo Records and you'll never want to leave.

I drive up on a Saturaday morning before the traffic starts (yep, there are Traffic Jams almost all day on SATURDAY too). I head for Waterloo Records first. Then usually a few guitar stores -- Ray Hennings, South Austin Music and Austin Vintage. Then I go to my favorite BBQ place "Pok-E-Joe's" or my favority Mexican place "Mardies". (Wait are those my favorites? There's too many to just name two).

After lunch I head down to the Continental Club to hear Redd for an hour or two. Then it's head for home, which is about an hour away.

IF I'm lucky and dodge most of the traffic on I-35 or the Congress Street/Riverside nightmare construction then it's not too bad. The worst on a Saturday is the Whole Foods/Waterloo vortex that happens at that corner.

Back in 1983 I lived in SA and was single. I thought I might want to move to Austin. So I rented a room in a house near Barton Springs with a bunch of other guys. I would work all week in SA and then drive up to Austin and spend the weekend there. It was quite the life. But it convinced me that I'd rather live in San Antonio and visit Austin. (And there were only 300,000 living there then!)

Seriously, check out San Antonio. It a fun town. It's similar to San Diego. It's easy to get around and for $500,000 you can buy a mansion here.

Paul Green

3. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I think alot of the information you have been getting is exagerated. I.E. home prices (Sorry Paul). Here is a chart of the average home prices in Austin over recent history Price Chart
    Try one of these
    www.ORBITZ.com
    www.priceline.com
    www.Hotwire.com

you can shop for Hotels by amenities and location.

Call your local realtor or go to this site Austin Realtors listing Realtors earn their commissions by helping their customers solve the problems you are faced with when moving.

I recommend Threadgills north and south, Shady Grove or 50 other places you can find in the Austin Chronicle (Free everywhere) or austin chronicle here is the music listing

Kid friendly? Heck, the Continental Club is Kid and Baby and Dog friendly at Redd's show on Saturday afternoon.

If you are coming to Austin during South By SouthWest, you won't be able to get away from the music. Go here south by music

There is a link there about available hotels during sxsw.
    Hotels could be a problem if you don't plan ahead.

The traffic in Austin was somewhat also exagerated Sure its bad two hours a day (morning 1 hour , evening 1 hour) on good days when the University is in session. Some days it's worse. You just need to live near work or work from home. Its nothing like San Antonio or Houston.

Good luck with your visit.

[​IMG]

Now - there are a few things that now one has mentioned. Fire Ants, Killer Bees, Cedar (Juniper) Pollen allergies, mold allergies. Especially with little ones, the Fire Ants are something you will want to educate yourself on.

4. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Hey Mark, No problem... but you realize that chart stops in 2002 -- 4 years ago.

We considered Austin when we moved back to Texas 6 months ago and prices were double the prices of the San Antonio area. Of course it depends on location.

Did anyone remember to tell him about how it will be 98 degrees every day for 6 months and when it cools down at 2am it will still be 89 degrees????

Paul Green

5. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim Tele-Holic

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity" ;) I remember when I moved my wife out to Arkansas... I still haven't lived that one down.

Austin wasn't unbearable when I was there in the Spring, but it was still a LOT more humid than California (and I was told Summer was worse.)

6. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Austin Home Prices

Paul pointed out the age of the prior reference but the rate has been rising at less than 2% per year. The chart shows the Average Home Price, Middle Management Housing, 2004 - $204 K.

Here is a good reference for cost of living comparisons to Austin from the Chamber of Commerce.

Costs

Also the record High temperature for Austin is 109 not 118. WALLA WALLA, WA had 111, Columbia, MO had 111 See chart at Temp Chart for your City. Although SanDiego was not listed.
    [​IMG]

7. jas468

jas468 Tele-Meister

- mk

I agree, and I live in Temecula.

Coincidentally we visited a good friend in Cameron, TX last spring, and had to drive through Austin to get there. That visit was during a coast to coast road trip and Austin's traffic was the worst we encountered on our route, although El Paso was pretty bad as well.
    Of course having endured I-15 through Escondido, CA on a workday this was nothing new to me. Bottom line is that I enjoyed our visit to Texas and found the people to be quite friendly and hospitable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.