1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Aussie Thinline

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by nutty, Nov 6, 2009.

1. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

mm i disagree with that - i use a 2" long top bearing router on all builds except blackwood -

you need:
    to trim with a bandsaw to .5 mm of a fine biro outline of your template
    a top quality bit which should be changed or sharpened every 5 bodies
    a good router in a decent table

with care it is possible to tidy up a body in one pass in under 2 minutes
    the key is to leave as little material as possible for the router - a decent 1/4" bimetal bandsaw blade is very accurate and you can cut down almost on top of the line as there is a very small kerf

if your cutting with a jigsaw forget it - better to use a sanding drum with 60 grit paper before you go any where near a router

2. jublian

jublian TDPRI Member

looking good mate.

fellow aussie here, i have made up two tas oak body blanks with the intention of using my as yet un-opened bandsaw.

unfortunately i moved to a place that did not allow working on guitars (small sharehouse)

hopefully i'll git a move on over summer

3. Fortsbest

Fortsbest Tele-Meister

Nice wood grain. And from prior experience, fixin the errors is half the fun of building them so you know what not to do next time.

:lol:

4. nutty

nutty TDPRI Member

As a newbie, I think gathering the tools has been half the fun. I have been slowly building my range of Triton gear - I don't think it is being made any more so it getting expensive on ebay but the quality of the tools is fantastic (so I have no excuses for any screw ups).

I am moving on to the "Aussie" part of this build. Instead of an f hole I would like to do a Southern Cross - something like this

38a stars.jpg

however, I'm not going to attempt the stars if I can't get them right. I will revert to an f hole or no hole at all.

I have been practising the star holes on a scrap of maple. Drilling a hole in the centre then using a fine scroll saw blade (on my new Triton jig saw) to cut a slot into each point of the star.

40a practice star.jpg

I have then used needle files to finish the points.

41a practice star.jpg

I am not 100% happy with the points just yet. I don't have a triangular file that is small enough to give me an even cut through the depth of the maple. I can get it sharp on the surface but I'd like it to look like it was laser cut.

I was thinking of cutting a fine triangular wedge of timber and gluing some 180 or 240 grit paper to it. Or maybe using an emery board or nail file.

I'm open to any suggestions???

5. kiwitele

kiwitele TDPRI Member

i was expecting a kangaroo shaped "f" hole

6. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

Do you have a dremel? You could also use an inlay bit in a standard router to cut the basic shape, then use your sandpaper/wedge idea to put the points on it.

7. nutty

nutty TDPRI Member

I hadn't thought of a kangaroo - I want to keep whatever hole(s) pretty small because I would like to keep as much of the grain as possible.

I do have a dremel but the smallest bit I could find at the local hardware was 1/8". How does an inlay bit differ from a standard cutting bit?

8. 68thinline

I was thinking of a downward spiral bit, but the smallest I've seen is also 1/8".

I'm enjoying the build. Are you doing a neck as well?

9. nutty

nutty TDPRI Member

The neck for this one is an Allparts. I bought it early on - it's got a 1 5/8th nut width with a 7 1/4" radius. I am having trouble finding a pre-slotted nut for this neck too. The nut slot is radiused and I can find plenty of pre-slotted curved nuts that are 1 11/16 but none at 1 5/8th. I have inquired about getting a nut fitted but they want the neck on the body so it will have to wait if I go that route.

I might get a curved blank nut and have a go at slotting it myself but I don't want to compromise the sound.

I would like to build a neck in the (not too distant) future but I need to study up a bit more on truss rods etc. It would also mean some more tools.

10. 68thinline

A flat file should take 1/32" off each end without too much trouble. I haven't made my own neck yet either, but I understand that the procedure would be to set the nut, tape off the surrounding wood (for protection) then make a few passes with a file. A sanding block may work as well.

11. nutty

nutty TDPRI Member

the stars are done

Well the stars are complete.

I ended up printing the stars on envelope labels. While practicing on scrap I found that my pencil lines were fading and smudging before I had finished filing so I needed something more permanent.

42 star label.jpg

I stuck the labels in position then masked the area with gaffers tape to provide much needed protection as can be seen by the pock marks. Those needle files aren't called needle files for nothing!!!

45 pock marks.jpg

I drilled and used a fine hacksaw blade to cut the slots then a combination of flat and wedge shaped files to finish off. Each star took just over an hour of filing - slow and steady.

I was very happy with the result. I used a mild solvent to remove the sticky residue from the labels which showed up the grain nicely.

47 stars no residue.jpg

Then a quick sand with an orbital sander at 120 grit to remove all the pencil lines. The body actually hummed its fundamental through the star holes while I was sanding which was a nice surprise.

51 stars body shot.jpg

this is going to be a tobacco burst - I am thinking water based dyes and finishing with shellac but I have no real idea at this stage. I have a lot of sanding in front of me and an interstate trip which will give me time to research.....

12. barkley

barkley Tele-Afflicted

wow, that looks great!!!
    but isnt the little star on the other side?

just kidding!!

Seriously tho, dont you think the colour should be blue or black and blue burst instead of tabacco burst? you know, southern cross and all...

13. fordfanjpn

fordfanjpn Tele-Holic

It's kind of late to mention this, but it looks like you didn't leave much wood for the top strap pin to screw in to. You probably should have left a little extra wood in there. But hopefully it won't be a problem.

Bill

14. guityak

guityak Tele-Meister

Nice so far. Aussie colours for an Aussie build? But just what are Aussie colours?

15. Brendo

Brendo Tele-Holic

Green and Gold. VB style.

16. barkley

barkley Tele-Afflicted

yeah green and gold, but we also claim red, white and blue and, yellow, black and red from our flags so....
    pretty much just not purple or orange! :lol:

A green and gold burst southern-cross-o-caster would be pretty sweet;)

17. nutty

nutty TDPRI Member

thanks for the tip Bill - I'll take extra care when mounting that pin.

Nice try barkley - I thought for a moment the Kiwi flag might have it the other way around,

I am in two minds over the colours. I had decided on a tobacco burst before I decided on a thinline or the southern cross.

This site - http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=30182

gave me the notion of the water based dyes and shellac and the demo just happens to be green and gold

green gold.jpg

18. barkley

barkley Tele-Afflicted

Sweet , green-and-goldocaster!
    Howd thecolouring and finishing go?

19. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Progress update here?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.