1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Audient iD4 MKII USB power requirements

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by DavidP, Apr 22, 2021.

1. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I was planning on getting the new version iD4, but am now concerned about the USB 3.0 port in my 2013 MacBook Pro having enough juice to power it... The MacBook system report identifies a USB 3.0 bus, (BRCM20702 version), with 500mA available current, and the Extra Operating Current line is blank. The iD4 spec lists 900mA as the power requirement... I know that the Apple bus can provide extra power over one or more ports for some Apple devices, but nothing noted about other ones.

So, I'm in a quadry -- order a MKII and find out myself if it works, or find a 1st generation USB 2.0 version w/o headaches.

Has anyone tried running an iD4 MKII (or other 500-plus mA device) on a Mac similar to mine?

2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My googling around suggests that the "extra operating current" only gets populated once something is plugged in that meets whatever tests their hardware/firmware does to validate that. so, "in theory," a real USB 3.x device and cable should see 900ma, since that blue USB 3.0 port implies it meets USB specs. Do you have a USB 3.0 backup SSD drive (if not, get one :)), to check with?

p.s. (edit)

I just checked on my Late-2012 Mac Mini, and it has both a USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 controller. When there is nothing plugged in, the USB 3.0 doesn't even show a single device or current availability, but as soon as I plugged in the external [USB 3.0] SSD, it shows up with 900ma available. I'd think a 2013 MBP would do the same, as the Mini is essentially laptop hardware in a box.

Before plugging in SSD:

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 4.55.43 PM.png

After plugging in SSD:

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 4.57.38 PM.png

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  3. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Thanks!
    Hmm, here's a screen shot of my system report w/o anything plugged into the USB jacks, but I don't have a USB 3.0 device handy to plug in and see if the available current value changes...

Attached Files:

4. still_fiddlin

The 2.0 devices show up with only 500mA available current. Since you've got a newer PCI revision (5 vs. 4) of an Intel (x8086) bus controller, I'd go out on a limb and say it would supply 900mA to a USB 3.0 device. Here's my controller with a USB 2.0 CD RW device plugged in. (It would require more than 2mA if it was doing anything!)

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.53.41 PM.png

Belaboring the point, 900mA is the USB 3.0 spec. It's an Intel controller in an Apple computer. It probably meets the spec.

5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Thanks again still_fiddlin!!!
    So, yeah, I should be ok with a MKII version given the USB 3.0 spec in my system report -- only one way of finding out for sure!!!

6. still_fiddlin

I just added a USB 3.0 hub because I was having a lot of WiFi interference with USB 3.0 devices plugged into the Mini (bad design on someone's part). It allows me to keep the devices a good foot away and fixed the interference problem. Anyway, it shows up as 2 separate hubs, though all the jacks are labeled USB 3.0, it probably automatically switches based on the device it senses plugged in, i.e., it acts the same way the port on the Mac does, reporting a device and hub that is appropriate for what's plugged in. Don't know if that clarifies or confuses things :).

Here's the System Report snips showing the external hub where the USB 3.0 SSD is plugged in and the USB 2.0 CD drive.

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 11.14.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 11.15.04 AM.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.