1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Audible "pop" when going to standby in new 57' Custom Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I've noticed that when I switch to "Standby", there's an audible "pop" in my 57 Custom Deluxe. When I turn the power switch to "off", there's no noise at all, and when I turn the Standby switch to "on" there's no noise either. It only happens switching to "Standby".

I've had a couple of amps in the past that had standby switches, and I don't recall there being any noise. Is this normal in this amp?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  2. Jared Purdy

I got my answer. The answer is "yes", because of the amount of voltage going to standby. Called up the esteemed amp tech, John Fletcher in Toronto. So Nice having people like that around. I'm going to give him my 64 Hand Wired PR tomorrow to swap out the stock tube set with a better set and a rebias. Then I'll do the same to Deluxe.

BlueCajun likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Aside. Dad rock band name alert: Audible Pop

darkwaters, naneek, Tim S and 5 others like this.
  4. Jared Purdy

Good one!!

naneek likes this.
  5. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jared Purdy likes this.
  6. Jared Purdy

7. Jared Purdy

I just read the document regarding standby switches. So, would you suggest leaving the standby switch set to "on" all the time, and just use the power switch to turn the amp on and off?

And, I just read the other article. Not the whole thing, just the part about the standby switch. He seems to contradict the Valve Wizard. He states the the Standby switch should always be set to standby before powering up the amp. He does, obviously, have a fix for the pop. I'm going to speak to my amp tech about this. Thanks for the documents!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  8. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Good ideas and good question. Most folks who say to use the standby switch are “Standby Believers.” Many amp experts and amp manufacturers are in that camp. Many amp users are too. Your tech may be as well. But I’ve never seen Merlin's article factually or effectively disputed.

The daily functional difference isn’t huge, especially if you only use your standby switch as a brief mute. The warmup/inrush thing varies a bit with SS rectification, but if your standby switch pops, or you want to repurpose that hole for another purpose, or you just like simplest *and* best, the Merlin article is your friend.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  9. Jared Purdy

I'm going to talk to my amp tech about the mod that's mentioned in the article. The author claims it's a 100% fix, and it's so simple (so it appears, at least) with a small resistor.

10. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Mine pops sometimes when I switch to standby , not enough to bother me though

Jared Purdy likes this.
  11. Jared Purdy

I just powered it on, let it warm up for a couple of minutes, switched the standby to on and no pop. Then I put it back on standby and the power off, and again, no pop. Go figure.

12. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

My '64 Gemini II makes a sound like a WWII dive bomber when I turn off the standby.

13. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I'm agnostic about using the standby to wait until the tubes are warmed up before applying HT. Probably a good idea with a solid state rectifiers, may be a good idea with a directly heated tube rectifier, totally unnecessary with an indirectly heated rectifier tube.

On the other hand, I see no reason to ever switch an amp to standby when it is operating. If you want to mute for a break or to swap guitars, it is easy to just pull the plug halfway out of the jack. That is what I recommend.

JamesAM, Jared Purdy and King Fan like this.
  14. Jared Purdy

I spoke to my amp tech about it, and he was also ambivalent about it. I must have been turning off the power before putting into standby, and that is want was causing the pop. I'm not use to having an amp with a standby switch. Been a few years. Since having the Standby switch to standby, and the switching the power on first, and then switching standby to on, and doing the reverse wen shutting it down, there is no more pop. Love this amp.

Paul G. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.