1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Audible "pop" if string touches pole screw...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by poboy, Sep 18, 2019.

1. poboy

poboy Tele-Meister

It turns out that insulating the pole screw makes the problem less severe, but does not eliminate it totally. Any disturbance of the pole causes a signal to be generated. However, if the pole is touched by a metal object (e.g. the string), the disturbance even more pronounced. It looks like I need to work on my technique :)

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

You need to have a good tech mist with you in person and exhibit to you what goes on when the magnets are too close to the strings. Yes, they can be stood close; and that proximity will ruin the vibrational quality of the string....which ruins intonation, sustain, and accurate harmonic content. In short, one can play a guitar with magnets that are too close to the strings, but one cannot possible make good music in that situation.

You have never been made aware of the problems of an incorrectly positioned pickup. It is fun to watch people when they are made aware of this. A new door opens for them, and their musicianship has taken another step on the way to maximizing their talent. If they don’t hear i, they will never advance, ime.

3. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

The physical jolt is one source of "pop", because the magnetic field itself is jolted, so it produces an electrical transient, but as for the pop that the tape/enamel prevents, that's most likely a static charge being released when the string touches the pole piece. I don't know why the pole pieces has a different voltage than the guitar strings, but there's not really any other way to explain why it would only stop once an insulator were placed between the strings and the pole tops. It's the same reason toggle switches often make a popping noise; you're suddenly connecting to parts of a circuit containing slightly different voltages, their coming to equilibrium results in a single sudden pop.

4. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

That's why I asked if the bridge is grounded. Grounding the bridge grounds the strings and makes them at the same potential as the pickup housing. If not, the strings can get a static charge from the environment.

5. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

The string shouldn't be touching the pickup screw.

Wally and EsquireBoy like this.
  6. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I remember years ago having my strat set up and going WTFlip because I was getting a popping noise when I played. Took me ages to work out what it was: very heavy picking hand damping making the strings make contact with the bridge pick up.
    I don't think I play as heavy handed these days and have worked out how to my own set ups. But yes normal but avoidable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.