Attenuator wiring question for AC30S1 combo

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Bean1871, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Bean1871

Bean1871 TDPRI Member

Hello, and happy holidays.

I just acquired a mint and bone stock Vox AC30S1 that I would like to use with an attenuator, since the amp is a little loud as it is for bedroom use.

If I wired a 1/4” jack straight to the internal speaker as a return, would I be able to use the amp’s 16 ohm speaker out to plug into the attenuator input jack? This seems as though it would work, since the speaker out jack would bypass the primary connection to the speaker when plugged into the attenuator.

Please let me know if I’m missing something, and thank you for your feedback and suggestions if there might be a better alternative.

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Afflicted

If you wire up a speaker jack lead to a pair of spade connectors to fit the internal speaker then plugged your attenuator into the ext speaker socket then plugged the new lead connected to the internal speaker into the attenuator, that should work yes.
    All you would need to do to return it to stock, is unplug your new lead and plug the spades from the amp back into your speakers.

3. Bean1871

Bean1871 TDPRI Member

Thanks. Will the new jack, if hardwired to the speaker, cause any issue with normal operation when it isn’t being used?

Since there isn’t easy access to the speaker, adding a jack seemed the best option for connecting an attenuator to this amp. I’d like to be able to simply plug the attenuator in when I want to use it, and then when the unit is unplugged, still get sound.

4. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Afflicted

I would think that will be fine.

Bean1871 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.