Attenuator question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Charlodius, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I’ve been thinking about getting a Weber Mass Lite 100 watt attenuator. I have a bunch of tube amps, but I’m mostly looking at using an attenuator with a 5e3, a PRRI, and a 30 watt Palomino. Is the 100 watt attenuator too much attenuation for the 12-15 watt fender amps?

2. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

I use a Weber Mass 50w on my AC30, used it for years with only good results.
    So, yep, 100w may be overkill for the amps you mention, but it would mean you're covered for most things smaller than a stack

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The Dr Z lite might work or Swart too.

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I have a Dr Z Brake Lite in my ‘63-reissue Vibroverb (35 or 40 watts, depending on what you read) and could not be happier...it performs exactly as advertised. I recommend it with ***** 5 Stars

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No, it's not too much attenuation-they don't work quite that way. They will decrease output power by the same incremental dB levels regardless of how much power they are receiving from the amplifier. Also, since they work by converting that excess power into heat, a higher rated unit is going to be more robustly built.

6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

The wattage rating only reflects the maximum load the attenuator can handle, but the "amount" of attenuation is entirely up to you. My understanding has always been that screw ups happen by running an amp into an insufficiently robust attenuator, but not the reverse. The only downside is potentially paying for more attenuating power than you need. That said, if you're planning to run your amps hot, it's a good idea to get an attenuator that is rated to handle 2-3 times the amp's rated wattage.

radiocaster likes this.
  7. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Weber recommends an attenuator that is 2x an amp's power rating. And what Lawdawg said one post above. A 100 watt attenuator would be fine for those amps. And according to Weber's recommendation would allow for safe running of amps rated up to 50 watts.

Charlodius and radiocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.