Attention Men - PSA

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hpilotman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

All men over 40 should be testing annually for PSA and personally keep up with your own PSA number and track it. Rapid Rate of increase in PSA [called PSA velocity] is one of the alarm bells to do more investigation.[Testing and possible Biopsy]
    My PSA doubled in a 12 month period at 63 years old. [Ding-Ding-Ding-]
    It had been very low with only small changes since 40 years old. I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Aggressive Prostate Cancer and went thru 42 Radiation treatments and on Hormone Therapy for 2 years. Prostate Cancer is treatable if caught early.
    PLEASE do not gamble with your life. Get the PSA test [simple blood test].

"Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men in the United States. It is estimated that 34,130 deaths from this disease will occur this year."

"According to the Mayo Clinic, prostate cancer is one of the most common types of cancer and the second-biggest cause of cancer death for men in the United States. While some types of prostate cancer grow slowly and may need minimal or even no treatment, others are aggressive and can spread quickly."

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/about/key-statistics.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/21/entertainment/friends-james-michael-tyler-cancer-intl-scli/index.html

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Mine was caught at age 45...so, I'd not put it off, especially if you have a family history.

3. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Thanks. Are you cancer free now?

4. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

The Prostate Cancer is INACTIVE at this time. Excellent PSA Numbers at this time.
    I never use the term cure or cancer free.
    Many Cancers are TREATABLE and prostate cancer is very treatable if discovered early.

5. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Excellent news. Thanks again for the word to the wise.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Also beware that high PSA does not necessarily mean cancer. I had high PSA for years, had biopsies. The biopsies caused infection which lead to other issues, surgery and many things. All because of a high test number.

DO YOUR RESEARCH, ASK SPECIFICS, ASK ABOUT ALTERNATIVES!

"Although the early detection and diagnosis of aggressive prostate cancer is critical to improving survival, PSA cannot reliably tell the difference between slow-growing cancers that do not pose a risk and less common, potentially deadly cancers. Men with harmless cancers may then be subjected to unnecessary biopsy, as well as unnecessary treatments that may cause side effects such as impotence, incontinence, or bowel dysfunction. Screening for cancer is generally thought to be a good thing, but once the risks outweigh the benefits, the test may actually be doing more harm than good.

Due to concerns about overdiagnosis and overtreatment, in 2012, the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) discouraged PSA screening in healthy men of all ages, a “D” recommendation."

7. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I can't like this comment enough. Freaking awesome.

I went to the doctor earlier in the month because of some symptoms of enlarged prostate I was having. Got some medication that's helping and I'm waiting on results of the blood test. The hardest part was swallowing my pride and going, but I can't take care of my people if I'm not taking care of myself, so I sucked it up.

I'm 41 and felt like it was early, but my doctor told me he had a patient that was 32 and had to have his prostate removed, so its not uncommon or anything to be ashamed of.

stormsedge and aging_rocker like this.
  8. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

I’ve had an enlarged prostate for a few years now. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia is the likeliest cause. I’ve had bloods done and also a scan and a template biopsy which came back negative thankfully.

which is a relief as I had bladder cancer some years ago.

Getting old sucks

stnmtthw likes this.
  9. tcadam

tcadam Tele-Afflicted

Just had a normal PSA test a few weeks ago as part of my physical but thanks for the reminder- best of luck.

stnmtthw and stormsedge like this.
  10. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Excellent advice.

I had my PSA done a little while ago as part of a wide-range blood test, and thankfully I'm all good at the moment.

stormsedge likes this.
  11. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center in the epidemiology dept.
    I worked, mostly, on a prostate cancer study.
    My group sponsored a free, weekly prostate cancer screening clinic at the hospital.
    We referred quite a few men for diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer.
    I can highly recommend MDACC for treatment of prostate cancer.
    I knew many of the doctors and in my work, saw the positive outcomes of hundreds of men.

Mark

39martind18 and stormsedge like this.
  12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So many things that killed so many people in the past are now routinely treatable. If not for yourself, do it for the loved ones who'd miss you if you were gone.

stormsedge likes this.
  13. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

I had my prostate removed last year at 57. Tried brachytherapy (implantation of radioactive pellets into the prostate) first which worked for about a year. I get my PSA checked every three months currently. So far, so good. Yes, know your PSA number and get it checked regularly.

stormsedge likes this.
  14. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the post!
    I am 51 and have had BPH for the last 6 years. Currently on 2 different medications that help. I still have trouble urinating, particularly at night . PSA levels are fine, thank God. My last scope that as performed, my urologists actually said the word "wow" while looking at the screen. Apparently my prostate is the largest he has seen for someone my age. Trying to stay away from any surgical procedures but the side affects of the medications are starting to wear on me..... I am glad that your cancer was caught early!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  15. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

When you decide on surgical intervention I would recommend the HoLEP procedure over the more common TURP procedure. I will provide a link with info. Wish you the very best in your treatment for BPH. I have a good friend who recently had the HoLEP procedure and he is very happy with the outcome.
    HoLEP not TURP!

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/less-common-procedure-for-enlarged-prostate-has-benefits/

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/heal...lmium-laser-enucleation-of-the-prostate-holep

arnie5150 likes this.
  16. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

In this case, PSA stands for both prostate specific antigen AND public service announcement! My dad had both BPH and prostate cancer, but so far I haven't had either. I get annual PSA tests, but haven't had a "digital" (i.e. third-base) exam for a few years, because my PSA levels have stayed between 2.9 and 3.7 for the past five or six years. However, it is something I and my doctor track every year.

17. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

Thanks - researching now!

18. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I was told by the docs I worked with at MD Anderson that the 'finger exam' adds valuable information.
    Actually, at the hospital a very experienced PA did most of the digital exams.

King

19. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had the urolift procedure a year ago for BPH. It should be considered along with the others.

20. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Holic

I'm all about information and the more informed the better.

https://www.urolift.com/

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ral-lift-for-enlarged-prostates-2018101815217

Quote:
    Q: Why doesn’t UroLift work for larger prostates over 60 grams?

Rukstalis: Because beyond a certain size threshold, the implants don’t open the channel well enough. Also you wind up needing too many implants, and they’re very expensive — anywhere from $700 to $1,000 each. The procedure is optimized for four to six implants and you really don’t want to use more than seven of them.

Cleveland Clinic=
    HoLEP :

Quote:
    "Another advantage of HoLEP is that it can effectively treat very large prostates. “A lot of procedures, especially some of the newer ones and some other minimally invasive procedures, don’t necessarily work well on very large prostates,” Dr. De says."

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.