Attempted rescue

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Was walking with my grandson and the dog down by the horse farm this morning. Mabel went down into the thicket along the field and immediately began her relentless, I have found something bark. We headed up to the gate and went back up through the field and found a 3point buck; one back foot was tangled in the top of the fence.

Couldn't get get him free and no one was at the farm. I found a hacksaw in the tool shed and cut the top wire. Got him free, but don't think he's going to make it; probably got caught last night. Grandson said it was kinda sad. I
let the farm owners know, and apparently it's happened before, they usually have to shoot the deer.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Was walking with my grandson and the dog down by the horse farm this morning. Mabel went down into the thicket along the field and immediately began her relentless, I have found something bark. We headed up to the gate and went back up through the field and found a 3point buck; one back foot was tangled in the top of the fence.

Couldn't get get him free and no one was at the farm. I found a hacksaw in the tool shed and cut the top wire. Got him free, but don't think he's going to make it; probably got caught last night. Grandson said it was kinda sad. I
let the farm owners know, and apparently it's happened before, they usually have to shoot the deer.

Well done, sir.

If a deer goes lame or completely loses the use of one leg, it usually survives and thrives ok. It can feed itself and move as-necessary. If it can't travel enough to feed itself, that's another matter.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
@archetype there is pasture, woods, junction of several creeks forming headwaters of a nice river. The deer as well as other critters seem to thrive in our area🙂

That sounds cool to me. Our acre has a big creek and creek bottom. It's "animal Central," year round , usually with plenty of deer. We saw triplet fauns last year and saw quadruplets following their mom earlier this month.

wangdaning

Tele-Holic
Weird they get stuck on the fence there, barbed wire I would imagine? Usually they will just hop over it. If they are having recurring issues it must be something about that fence, is it on a flat place or a hill. Maybe they could try to spray it with something so the deer know there is something there.

Peaked my curiosity as I have never seen a deer stuck on a fence, seen plenty run under and hop over 10' plus fences though.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
It's a 2x3 woven wire fence with a single wire strand a couple inches above. One back leg was caught by the ankle.
The upper single strand was pulled down under the deers foot and the top wire of the woven fence was on top of the foot.
There was too much tension for me to spread the wire apart.
You can see the fence construction in this pic~
image.jpg

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire

I really get upset when all you can do is ‘almost help’. Hooe the farm owner takes the trouble to catch up with him and do the right thing, whatever it is. Well done for your efforts, commendable.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Well done, sir.

If a deer goes lame or completely loses the use of one leg, it usually survives and thrives ok. It can feed itself and move as-necessary. If it can't travel enough to feed itself, that's another matter.

Concur. That buck will likely do okay if he wasn't too dehydrated from the wait.

Smokin OP

Tele-Afflicted
My daughter & her family live in the country on about 40 acres with a river that runs through their property. About a month ago her husband heard something down at the river. When he went to see what was making the noise, he found a very young fawn that was drowning in the river. He retreved it and brought it to the house where they have been feeding it. The fawn is in it's own pen now but will be on it's own soon. They also have horses, our grandaughter barrell races, and the first time my SiL took the fawn outside, the deer went straight for the horses pen, which they didn't like at all. Tried the kick the fawn as my SiL and grandaugher came to the rescue, crisis averted. In our part of the county, Southwest GA, this is not all that uncommon as we have a huge population of deer.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
It's a 2x3 woven wire fence with a single wire strand a couple inches above. One back leg was caught by the ankle.
The upper single strand was pulled down under the deers foot and the top wire of the woven fence was on top of the foot.
There was too much tension for me to spread the wire apart.
You can see the fence construction in this pic~ View attachment 1009293

You could ask the farmer to paint the top wire white, or add some cloth flags every so often. They should have little trouble clearing the fence, but they have to know where the top is!

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
There's an area in my back yard adjacent to the dog run, that's fenced partially with hog wire. It isn't gated, there's just a section pulled back, and it's too low to be of any use unless I had maybe a small dog.
Ava the border collie can clear it easily, and Flash my black Lab could just about step over it...it's really nothing other than in the way of mowing the yard.

One spring evening we discovered a fawn, still spotted, that had meandered into the fenced area and was having some trouble getting out. The poor thing had panicked and was rushing the fence, bloodying its muzzle some in the process. I was afraid it was going to stick a leg through the fence and get seriously injured. After a couple minutes of us herding it gradually towards the gap, it got its bearings and bolted across the street into the woods, where I hope its mother was waiting.
There wasn't much I could do; I wish it well and hope it wasn't too traumatized.