Attack of the digital amps

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eddiewagner, Oct 10, 2019.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I just watched the Andertons video on the Blackstar Silverline. It sounded pretty darn good. Looks like a simple set of controls too. I primarily use a Vox Tonelab pedal board into a clean tube amp and pretty much use just a couple of the amp models and assume with a rig like the Silverline I'd do the same...find a drive patch that I like and a tube setting to go with it and the add effects or not...that's it.

The Silverline looks good and sounds good, online. I'd be interested in playing through one

2. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

boy howdy

3. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer Tele-Meister

I guy i used to work for has a modeling amp , an older one, a Line 6 or something.... but he sold off a '66 Pro Reverb someone had given him and a cool 60's Silvertone 1474 or 1484 ( the good one) head , Had me scratching my head....

4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I can't wait for the day that digital amps take over, and I can check off my amp bucket list for pocket change.

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

+1 I just sold 3 small vintage tube amps I picked up for @ $100 each, for the same money; the local guy charges $200 to "make "em safe" and its rare anything gets off the bench for under $300. so $8-900 for the three, + the buy in, so 1K+ repeat in 10 years. I paid $200 for the seven SS amps i own including a gigable bass rig and the RS Bandit I mentioned a few posts up, not each.. total. I expect I will get 10 years out of them, and, spend about the same for something to replace them if need be, at that point it will probably be a digital amp that is no longer "new". I like tube amps and for many they make sense, and they are for the moment a good investment.. if you buy right and do your own work, for which I no longer have the space, time or desire. There is a lot I can do w/ that service money; at this point in my life I no longer feel the need to buy anything based on what I "should" have, I prefer something I'm comfortable with..If only that PV was a bit lighter.

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Priorities change for many reasons..

7. southdtele

southdtele TDPRI Member

I think the Silverlines look really interesting, too. I have kinda wanted to move away from mic'ing my amp and instead use a line out with cabinet emulation. Looks like the line out on the Sliverline is a headphone jack. Dumb question--How would that work for connecting to the board? Use an adapter? Most others I've seen have a 1/4 out. Thanks.

8. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

All this reminds of the arrival of the really good digital cameras somehow.

9. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Exactly, I dig your sentiment.

I can't figure out the what the motivation is to discuss the topic, actually.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is the crux for me.

Rather than comforting, the notion that I would require particular technology to sound good would seem limiting.

FenderLover and Ironwolf like this.
  11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

That's why I learned to do it myself.

12. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I get that, but even if it doesn't matter (and it really doesn't) it's just that I like tubes. It's really no different than saying, "Throw out your LP's with their limitations and consumable nature, and go with the convenience of MP3's." Sounds like a practical suggestion, but physical media is just fun to own if you've ever read an album's liner notes. Having to get up to flip a record is just part of the experience.

With digital guitar amps, the end product is acceptable to me, but not where my heart is. I like tubes on a hardware, service, and design level, where digital tech is for a plug and play end use that may become consumer trash without a service plan. It's not a hammer that will always be in the drawer, it's a bit of technology that always has a question mark over it.

It's the ultimate disposable nature of digital things and new tech/new manufacture that is in the back of my mind. How many computers, laptops, printers, personal electronics and appliances have passed through your life, either broken, unusable, or obsolete? (I also had to throw away my Fluke 77 DMM today...) My furnace started acting up yesterday and my water softener became trash last week. My house was built in '04. The microwave, frig, and water heater have all been replaced since then.

I have amps from the late 40's that really don't have an end of life in sight. Neither do the newer ones built in the 50's and 60's and 70's. I think there's value in that longevity even if a digital amp winds up costing $1 per gig before it gets thrown away. I'm sitting on $20K worth of vintage amps that I will eventually get something for, even though they were not bought as investments. In fact, they were recycled from the available equipment pool and kept in service for decades. How many landfills contain all the other crap that has passed through our lives?

eddiewagner likes this.
  13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Dumb me, I thought it was the way to go back in the 1960's with my Sears Silvertone piggy back.

Turns out I had it right, for reliability.

Wasn't until much later that Modelling Amps started getting it pretty much spot on. I know that statement will draw a lot of heat, but I stand by my Fender Champion 100.

FenderLover likes this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@FenderLover - of course. Play what gives you warm and fuzzies.

The notion (which I’m not saying you espouse) some advance heatedly, that nothing but tubes can sound great and have great feel, is what gets me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.