Attaching pedals to board (without Velcro)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DucksEliminated, Apr 27, 2013.

1. DucksEliminated

DucksEliminated Tele-Meister

Wondering what are some creative ways you have attached pedals to your board without using Velcro?

Its all i have ever used, its hand for adjusting your board...but it irritates the living out of me when it fails:twisted:

2. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

Tried the bike chain method. Way too difficult to change pedals out. I have a cable fail on me and the way everything was attached I needed a screwdriver to remove the faulty cable from my signal chain. Velcro is it.

3. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I just used a technique I learned on TDPRI. From a bicycle chain the link side plate is sized well to attach one end to the pedal bottom plate screw and screw the other end to the board. I used two on each pedal and they are very solid.

4. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

I've never had Industrial Strength Velcro fail... it works great.

5. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Tried Zip Ties but I couldnt get the peals to sit straight. Velcro for me as well, and also never had it fail, even on my heavy Uni-Vibe.

6. DucksEliminated

DucksEliminated Tele-Meister

Im liking this chain idea. I dont swap my board around ALOT. I like the idea of it being permanent.

7. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i've never heard of this chain idea... but it sounds awesome! bonus points to whoever thought of that.

i used to velcro my pedals... but noticed that the velcro destroyed the resale value of the pedals i didnt keep. i switched to the large twist ties (through holes in the bottom of the board)... and those chewed through the finish on top of the pedals (even worse than velcro residue on the bottom). and now im back to velcro !

i'll have to try out the chain method... that might be just right

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

3Μ Dual Lock.

NOTHING beats it.

9. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Of boutique pedals or everyday pedals? I have never had an issue reselling pedals with velcro at market value, heck I would see it as a bonus so I wouldnt have to spend money on it. Velcro is expensive!

I saw a Gearmandude video where he put painters tape on the bottom of a Klon RI pedal before sticking on the velcro. I have never tried it, I think its a good idea if it works. Not sure why he would do it in a video if it doesnt...

10. seventyeight

seventyeight Tele-Meister

The greatest trick I ever learned from TDPRI was to put masking tape (not sure if that's US nomenclature - y'know, painting tape) on the bottom of the pedal before I put the Velcro on. Everything comes off clean as a whistle so it still looks brand new. It's simple and everybody wins!

11. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

both kinds. maybe thats just in my area... but velcro pulls the labels off the back of the pedals and impacts the value of the pedal. in most cases, i think people would rather own a pedal with no box than a pedal with original packaging AND velcro!

the sentiment is kinda dumb to me. if its got velcro, it was on a board and probably handled a little better than a loose pedal that has been bouncing around inside a bag and kicked around on the floor. i guess they equate the velcro with a pedal that has been gigged... since most home musicians dont have to fuss with such things...

12. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

I've used both the bike chain link idea and velcro. Haven't tried Dual Lock, considered it and read about it however my main board is carpeted so I only need the one side of Velcro on my pedals.

My biggest problem I encountered with attaching pedals with velcro is it dosen't stand up to heat very well.
    Hot days and hot cars, my pedal board has a case and shoulder strap and get carried in a vertical position not flat like it sits when being used. I opened it up one day in the heat and found some of the heavier pedals falling off and both sides of the velcro still perfectly in place.
    The adheisive side loosens with heat, probably why I have never had a problem pulling velcro off a pedal.

Now I use a mix, screwed fasteners on the heavier pedals like Wah's, smaller pedals get velcro. Usually a mix and alternating. Works for me.;)

13. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have velcro on most of my pedals and they go on a PedalTrain board that Lance gave me (and homemade boards before that).

I have a couple of 'boutique' pedals with paper labels that I just can't bring myself to throw velcro on the bottom of... I've been looking for the right size enclosure so I can steel a blank cover for. I cut up some thin clear plexiglass and tried that, but wasn't 100% happy with the results. The PT is metal, so the bike chain thing would be a real pain. I've thought about finding the right size screws, but longer with washers to hold velcro on without having to use the glue. I believe I saw a thread somewhere (ahh, the TGP http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1245421 ) where the guy just ran screws through the velcro, I see that failing with too much swinging around of the board, which was why I thought of washers.

In the end, I always go back to velcro (or 3M Dual Lock if I'm feeling wealthy).

But, the funny thing recently has been that I've only been carrying one pedal (a dirt pedal) with me to most gigs and jams, so there's no real need for any of it any more! LOL

14. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

I used zip ties on my wooden board and they worked great...until you wanted to change a pedal. When I got my Pedaltrain, I decided to give the Industrial Strength Velcro a try before I shelled out the dough for Dual Lock. I picked up a big roll at Lowes and it has worked great. I've got an Ernie Ball volume pedal stuck on there and it hasn't even wiggled in two years.

15. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I use bicycle links on my tuner (Boss TU-3 is first in line) and whatever last pedal in line. Makes for solid feel when plugging in. Light pedals get velco. A pedal like a Fulldrive 2, gets zip ties.

16. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Holic

+1 You can peel it off with no residue fairly easy.

17. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

My two row homemade board is angled and I have a strip of trim on each level so my pedals just sit on my board by good old gravity.

18. l2yz

l2yz TDPRI Member

3m dual lock, close thread

19. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Bike chain links. I don't like the goo that the velcro adhesive eventually becomes, particularly when exposed to heat. I have no complaints about the link method. Everything is very secure, feels solid under the feet. However, not all pedals can work with it. For example, I had at one time a Digitech Hardwire SC-2 (excellent pedal, by the way), and the fasteners they use to hold on the bottom plate just won't work, the heads are too small. I used velcro for that one. Fortunately, each of those pedals comes with a custom cut velcro set.

I don't change my pedals often, and never on the gig, so the link method solves a lot of problems for me.

20. Tom Cook

Tom Cook Tele-Meister

1+++++ here

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.