1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Atomic Amps Amplifire 12?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by arielyitus, Mar 20, 2017.

1. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

Hello,

Very interested in the Amplifire 12, I have read some interesting reviews but I trust TDPRI,

What's your experience with it? Would you say amp simulations are above a common multieffects (HD500X)?

Is sound quality comparable to more expensive units like Helix?

Just want to see what the community thinks, any comment is appretiated

2. kgwzz

kgwzz TDPRI Member

Hi! I just got a unit two weeks back. Used to use a hd500. The amps are really a notch above the pod, the pod sounds rather fizzy to me in fact. The only con is that there are fewer effects but there are enough for most applications. I quite like the delay though, u can set four delays with their independent timings and feedback settings.

3. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

I have the Firebox (same amp sounds as the AA12) and the Helix. They both sound really good. The Fender Twin model is kind of noisy but the Deluxe Reverb is quite nice (and that used to be my gigging amp). The Bassman also sounds good.

arielyitus likes this.
  4. wordless245

wordless245 TDPRI Member

I have the AF6. It is a great box.

I find that with the AF6 through a good playback system, I don't miss using tube amps! My tube amps are now just another flavor, not a superior sounds. Both my tube amps and the AF6 sound fabulous.

I have built about 7 tube amps from kits and from scratch. Those 7 are sweated over and tweaked, so when I say I don't miss using them, I think it helps to know the context. (18 Watt, Princeton, Stereo Champ Head, etc.)

Just like cabinet and speaker choice make a huge difference in how you like what a tube amp does, what you play the AF6 through makes a huge difference.

The most recent firmware (6.1.1) has made the AF6 sound like it should have cost $300 more than it did.

I use mine with a homebrew OD (a modified Barber Electronics Direct Drive build) in front and an Eventide H9 in the stereo loop. I usually use the H9 effects post amp model but before the cabinet model. This allows me to have studio sounds in a live setting. If I want, I can move the loop to be before the amp model and have the H9 effects pickup the harmonics generated by the pre-amp, just like running it in the front end of a tube amp would do.

The HUGE advantage of using the AF6 is the drastically faster work flow. I play ~1x/month at church through a fantastic PA. Now that I have had the unit for ~6 months, I can get my sounds set at home (through Yamaha HS7 near-field monitors) in about 1 hour. And they are usually very different sounds for each song. Gone are the days of settling on a single amp tone for a gig and modifying pedal settings to get along with the amp of choice for the day or the amp at the venue.

I now a variety of great tones that I can rely on and tweak to fit new songs. I expect my work flow will become even quicker over time as my catalog of tones is expanded and culled. And when a special song comes up that needs that particular tone, I will be able to get a 95% accurate version of it quickly.

FYI, for smaller gigs, I use a 25lb 300W Yorkville Sound NX10C coax PA speaker. Sounds wundy!

arielyitus likes this.
  5. wordless245

wordless245 TDPRI Member

Oh, I have used or tried every version of Line 6 gear going back to the Flextone amp line including the Helix. Couldn't get a tone that I loved with the Helix. I always knew I was using a modeler and had to intentionally put that aside in my head and force myself to focus on the music.

With the AF6, everytime I play it, I don't notice that it is a modeler. Instead, I get to fall into the music.

arielyitus likes this.
  6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I have the simple Amplifire 3, but it uses the same "engines".

IMO it's comparable to the Kemper and Fractal systems; many preset developers distribute the same groups for Atomic, Fractal and Kemper.

Soundwise Atomic is in different league than Line6, Digitech etc. It's not a modeling system - it's beyond that label. Modeling hardware and software take a picture - a "slice" of sound.

But these units seem to capture functional, adjustable abilities over time, if that makes sense. The stock presets aren't what should be judged - Take a bare amp preset (without any effects) and it's like working with the actual amp, with touch sensitivity, drive (or cleanup) using guitar controls and based on where you set the amp controls.

I'm a hardcore tube amp guy, with a '55 Deluxe, '66 DR, '62 Concert and Bandmaster and some boutique amps (among others) on hand, and I can find the touch, clarity, chime, drive, saturation etc etc that's in one amp (depending on my control or guitar settings) in the same bare preset - depending on the control or guitar settings. With modeling systems I'd have to change the preset - the Atomic unit works much more like an amp. Like each specific amp.

arielyitus likes this.
  7. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight TDPRI Member

Off topic:

“FYI, for smaller gigs, I use a 25lb 300W Yorkville Sound NX10C coax PA speaker. Sounds wundy!”

I use this monitor as well. Lightweight,small(ish),sound great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.