At what price-point is your guitar no longer "just a guitar" but an "investment?"

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
I never think of guitars as an investment.
They are bought to play.
i see no reason to buy an electric over £1k - diminishing returns and all that.
Acoustics I top out higher - round £2.5k

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
When your insurance company tells you that you need seperate insurance for said instrument, it has become an investment.

For me that is about the time I bail out and sell it.

I used to gig with both new and old American built guitars, but now with the quality and playability of some of these squiers and mim guitars, once modified to my liking, that is plenty good.

If you worry about resale value on guitars, that generally in my mind tells me that you bought something outside of your means...

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Not bought any as investment pieces but as the price of my two Baja second hand has gone up I will be more aware of taking care of them.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Never. I never buy a guitar as an investment, or with the intention of ever selling it, especially for a profit. I recently bought the most expensive guitar I ever have- a PRS DGT, $5000, and I was questioning whether or not to take it to a gig. Then I remembered not to be too precious about anything (and that's not just for gear, that's a life lesson), and took it. It's a tool. A very expensive one, but a tool. Are you going to buy an Uber-expensive rifle then not take it hunting? Or a really expensive muscle/sports car but only drive it on Sundays when it's not raining? Then WTH you buy them for?

They aren't museum pieces. A Charlie Christian-owned ES-125 is a museum piece. And HE didn't treat it like one. I won't either. Marty Stuart PLAYS Clarence, ALL THE TIME, LIVE. That's what these things are for.

And frankly, it's not about the $$ anyway; the one guitar I would be heartbroken to lose is my #1, paid $699 for it in 1991. It's beat. I absolutely love it. If the house were on fire, that's the guitar I would try to save, not the $5000 PRS.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
We guitar players have no grounds to complain. My aunt is a concert violinist. Her instrument cost over $300k. And that’s well below top prices. For Stradivarii nowadays super rich people buy them as investments and then loan them to top violinists.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a saying
Everything I own is a farm implement.
I take very good care of all my equipment, gear, etc…
But I don’t own anything that I don’t use for it’s intended purpose.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
One expects an investment to appreciate in value over time. Guitars obey the second law of thermodynamics. Entropy is inevitable. They deteriorate over time. Guitars also obey the laws of fools. They lose value faster with refurbishment and regular maintenance. A guitar isn’t an investment. It’s a guitar.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
I'm at the age where I'm not going to see a profit or loss off very many of them any more except for the ones I work on for people; consideration is now more focused on which grandchild is going to wind up with which one(s). 🎸

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I would only consider guitars that are already "vintage" as viable investments. I am not very nostalgic and have absolutely no interest in "vintage" anything. Probably has something to do with my obsession with technology, I am always looking forward to what is coming, and rarely do I look back. I don't buy guitars with any thought as to what they may or may not be worth later on. 🤷‍♂️

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I consider any guitar over $1500 to be an investment.
I have 2 US Guild acoustics I bought new that fall into that category.
My sub-$300 Teton dreadnaught (phenomenal tone and playability and light as a feather) gets more playtime.
I even put it in a Washburn HSC with the logo prominently displayed to prevent theft.
The other 2 stay in their humidified cases most of the time - I take 'em out when company comes ...
So much for "Made to be Played." Talk is cheap - these guitars not so much.

Electrics same same. None of my electrics cost more than $600 including upgrade parts and HSCs.
That's because they get PLAYED. And I don't gnash my teeth worrying about someone nicking 'em.
Truth be told, they sound and play better than most "Custom Shop" case queens.

As a previous poster said, "they're just tools."
Same thing goes for firearms.
Some folks have to have the fancy "limited edition" guns with the engraving, gold plate, etc.
I figure every time they pony up for one of their precious overpriced gems, the company that makes them has more revenue and can offer the ones I shoot for less.

Collecting is a highly personal and subjective thing. I have found that the plain ones that work right are for me.
Whether they have strings or firing pins.
Besides, a guitar or a rifle with honest wear on it means more to whoever you bequeath it to than a pristine one dripping in fancy trim. It has more of you in it, and if your heirs "get it," they'll want to hold onto it.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
I've never paid more than £275 for a guitar. They're to be used, not locked in a vault.
One is worth £2000+ now but I still gig it.
It's off to a rehearsal tonight.

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Never thought of my guitars as an investment, and around half are vintage and valuable. So yes they have gone up in value a lot, but that isn't why I bought them.

I play all of them at home. But I have become wary of bringing them to pubs after a few incidents, even when they didn't leave my sight.

Basically, I've found that even fellow guitarists may not show even minimal respect for other people's instruments, and then there are the folks who actively try to rob you of yours.

badscrew_projects

TDPRI Member
I don't consider my instruments investments. It's maybe also because none of mine will sell at more than $2000 today.