1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

At what point does one replace a bridge?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Sep 18, 2020.

1. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    RockinforJesus likes this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just buy a new guitar ...

Sell the old one and let somebody else deal with it !!!

3. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

After you spend the $50+ to "upgrade" the bridge then you'll end up spending about er $50-$75 to upgrade the nut to bone (because that's what you read to do on the forums), and you just have to have a 50's style wiring harness. And while you're at it you should also replace those inferior Epiphone pickups. Then, after you've gutted the guitar and replaced everything there's nothing else left to replace and mod, so you're bored so you sell the guitar at a loss. For all the money you put into it you could have probably just bought a Gibson.

The cheap stock bridge on my SG is just fine. And the crappy stock tuners, pickups and wiring harness are just fine, stock nut is cut and shaped properly and intonates perfectly. Ugh, there's nothing to replace on this thing. What am I gonna do? Guess I really don't know anything and you're right. I should just stick to Telecasters.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  4. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Yes, I'm sure your SG is the pinnacle of guitar craft. Good for you. I only replace what doesn't work well. I don't use bone nuts and I don't pay much attention to what the corksniffers have to say. If it works, I use it. If it doesn't, it goes. And that's the story, Wannabe. In any case, what I do with my own property is none of your concern so stop yelling at clouds. You're now on 'ignore.'

Jakedog likes this.
  5. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

I have a cheapo Strat copy which has frets installed all over the place. It sits on my bench now waiting to get the slots filled with thin rosewood veneer stripes and correctly refretted.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

It is an amazing, SG, thanks!

Nobody's yelling. You posted a thread to get other's opinions. Just because you don't agree with my opinions there's no need to get offended and get all up in a bind. And please, oh, please don't put me on your ignore list. Ph, what would I do if I was put on your ignore list!

You sound like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum when he hears something he doesn't like or something doesn't go his way and plugs his ears with his fingers and runs away. You sound like a sensitive little guy.

7. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Just to be clear, he's not the OP. I'm just sitting back and enjoying the show. Give me a second to grab the popcorn, I think I heard the microwave go off in the other room. :D

I think we're on about the same page; I'm not looking to spend very much more money on this guitar. It just isn't necessary! I wasn't a very big fan of SGs, but I just feel in love with the way this one plays. As a beginner with a $300 budget, playability took priority over both aesthetics and sound.

The tuners work great, the nut functions, electronics seem fine, tailpiece doesn't need replaced. This bridge seems to be the only weak link, and they really aren't too expensive to replace. That's about what I'm feeling right now.

If I really wanna get rockin', I could throw some of these in there.
    https://bootstrappickups.com/products/bootstrap-buckers-vintage-cleans

TwangerWannabe likes this.
  8. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

I've experimented on and destroyed A LOT of guitars (and amps) in my life. But now I know exactly what I like and how to get there. There's value in that.

9. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

One of my absolute favorite guitars that I had when I was a teenager was a lawsuit era Hondo Les Paul. I stripped it, put in pickups (that I wax potted) and pots etc from an older SG and better shielded wiring, reshaped the neck and changed the neck angle a bit, refretted it, bone nut and roller bridge off some no brand guitar. Played better and sounded better than any off the shelf Gibson Les Paul in my opinion. That guitar was later destroyed when I tried to 'contour' the body! Pickups and wiring went into a Kramer, that was later stolen.

Experimentation is good!

10. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.