1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

At what point does one replace a bridge?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Sep 18, 2020.

1. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I'm thinking my SG's tune-o-matic might need some help. It's an Epiphone G-400, and it's starting to have problems. The first issue I'm having is intonation. If you notice the G saddle, I have it flipped and cranked all the way back. The intonation is still a little off, so I'd like more travel.

20200917_162248[1].jpg

The other issue is the retaining bar. The bridge buzzes like mad on the lower 3 strings. The wire can be fixed, but only for a few days before it starts up again. There's probably a permanent solution, but I think I'd rather just go wire-less.

I guess if nothing else, my bridge is starting to show some strange wear. You can see in the photo, the top part is starting to turn pink (?) and has this weird finish damage that looks like residue of something, but doesn't come off. Of course, the aesthetic of a bridge really isn't enough to make me switch it out.

20200917_162204[1].jpg

Anyway, is it worth replacing or kinda just duct-tape fixing? I'd would likely end up switching it out for something relatively cheap, like a Gotoh, no retaining wire, metric ABR-1 fitting, and wider for intonation. If only harmonicas fit an ABR setup...

marc2211 likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gotoh is a good idea. It’s solid hardware, good stuff. But not so expensive that you’ll be out a lot of it doesn’t fix your intonation problem.

Have you done some good measuring? There’s always the chance that the bridge is just in the wrong spot. It’s happened to me a couple times over the years on inexpensive, imported guitars. The math doesn’t have to be off by much for it to cause real issues.

ponce, rangercaster, Henley and 5 others like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Your bridge is super important.
    I’d just replace it.

Henley, kookaburra, Jlwctn and 3 others like this.
  4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

A Nashville bridge would give you more travel, if that's a problem.

Henley, Zepfan and knockeduptele like this.
  5. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

I would check the nut slot heights and level. Might solve your intonation issues. Also reverse wrap around the tail piece to get a better string angle.

6. IMadeYouReadThis

The nut is probably gonna go sooner rather than later, since it's still the stock plastic one. It actually is cut a bit high, but not enough that I couldn't just adjust the neck to fix it. I'm just not confident in my ability to do nut work, which is why I've put it off. Do you need any special tools?

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  7. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

I'd take to someone who knows what they are doing. You probably don't want to practice on that guitar. I wouldn't put a pre shaped on it, I have someone make a nice custom one with correct height etc.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

That's enough for changing it

Loctite is your friend there. and heavy bending it between screws

That's the copper beneath the chrome. Totally normal wear

I would not be cheap on bridge. It does't mean install diamond's covered one.

But if you can live with that mis-intonation.... Do you hear it while playing or is just a tuner thing? That would be the question... If NO, fix that one. If YES, change it

Piggy Stu, Henley and kookaburra like this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It's not odd that you need to flip the G saddle around.

Can you hear the rattle at stage volume? If not, don't worry about it.

Those bridges tend to lose their radius over time. This can result in the spring loosening a bit. It might be experiencing that problem. You can compensate by filing the outer saddle slots a bit deeper. You might need to raise your tailpiece a bit afterward, in order to get the strings off of the back lip of the bridge. There's no problem with doing that, IME. Not sure why some people think it's such a bad thing.

Henley likes this.
  10. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

I replaced the bridge on my Gretsch 5220 with a Gotoh. Better quality and a tad more travel too.

11. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

I replace all those inscrutable Oriental bridges with ABR1 adapters and a genuwine ABR1 bridge. I think it plays and sounds better.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like this Schaller. I have one on a guitar with a Bigsby, also on one without. Meant for mounting slightly diagonal like a Gibson TOM. And they give more intonation play.
    [​IMG]
    Forget harmonica bridges, they're meant for mounting straight.

Jakedog, Henley and nojazzhere like this.
  13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Those bridges just rattle sometimes. I have stuffed little bits of foam in a few, but I just try to get used to it.

The discoloration just looks like the finish coming off. It's especially noticeable on gold hardware, which never stays gold for long where your hand rests.

As for the intonation, some of the previous suggestions make sense.

14. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Top-wrapping creates a shallower break angle over the bridge saddle, since the strings pass from the top of the bridge instead of halfway through it.

Try that out see how it works :)

[​IMG]

Seasicksailor likes this.
  15. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand why that would work - but I love your username.

Dan_Pomykalski likes this.
  16. IMadeYouReadThis

Yeah, still wish Gibson/Epiphone at least made some guitars with harmonicas, but I think I'm in the minority. Norlin Gibson left a bad taste in many mouths.

Since I was probably going to replace the bridge anyway, I was curious about maybe trying something interesting like a roller or brass saddles. Or both :cool:

[​IMG]

17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

As soon as it won’t support the vehicles that travel over it, duh!

EDIT:
    After reading closer, I realize you’re not talking about a roadway bridge...you’re talking about a guitar bridge.

Never mind...

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  18. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a roller like the one pictured. It works well - very solid and easy on the hand.

19. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The only consideration regarding roller bridges is they do sound different from TOM saddles because of how the strings come off the bridge. The difference is subtle, but I've noticed it on four different guitars I have.

If you have a TOM bridge with the little retaining wire and it buzzes, you can tweak it with a small needle-nose plier to make firmer contact with the screw heads. This sometimes is a permanent fix, but a better solution I've found is to place a teensy dot of clear nail enamel on the wire where it rests against each screw. Use a toothpick for this operaton, and allow it to dry for about an hour before you play. It's permanent until you need to re-adjust the intonation if you change string gauge. As soon as you rotate the screw the nail enamel pops loose. Re-apply if needed.

IMadeYouReadThis and Jakedog like this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Parts is parts
    Replace 'em if they go bad

Jakedog, kookaburra and Jlwctn like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.