At What Point Do You Lose Interest?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by black_doug, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I lost interest in FM after Danny Kirwan, Chicago after Chicago II. What interests me from classic rock are the B-side songs from the less commercial bands like King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Rory Gallagher, etc. There was so much great music from the '60s and '70s that I'm still discovering or rediscovering, but most of what I'm learning on guitar these days is jazz and fusion.

black_doug likes this.
  2. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I have very little interest in going to big name shows anymore...big arena concerts with big ticket bands, particularly bands who peaked creatively decades ago.

If I go out for live music these days, it's gonna be to a small venue with some newer, hungry band(s) on the bill. Glorified bar show sort of thing. I'm 50 and I've seen all kinds of shows. The best, most energetic ones I ever saw were old punk shows in the 80s in clubs the size of garden sheds that cost me $5 or $6 to see.

Back in the day I saw John Lee Hooker at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa. It was like $12. I saw the Cramps play three times in the 80s and 90s, all for well under $20. And if you ever saw the Cramps live, it's hard to EVER witness another rock and roll show that is going to measure up.

nvilletele, trancedental and DekeDog like this.
  3. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN TDPRI Member

Going to see Chicago this Wednesday. Four decades of music, they
    must be doing something right. I like them, they had lasted a long
    time. To a lot of "boomers" they were a relief from traditional rock and roll. Dialogue and 25 or 6 to four....Hokey but sounds so
    together....

black_doug likes this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I lost interest in the Smashing Pumpkins when it was only Billy and Jimmy holding it down. Should of stuck with Zwan. Tarantula was bada$$ though. What are we talking about again?

black_doug and SolidSteak like this.
  5. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I don't attend many shows anymore.
    At the same time, if some friends are excited by the prospect of seeing bands from the old
    days, I don't want to dampen their enthusiasm by key noting personnel changes.
    Go out and enjoy the show. I was lucky enough to see so many bands with their original
    lineups, that was then, this is now...

black_doug likes this.
  6. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I was an early fan of Chicago, especially Kath. Check out my avatar!

I started to lose interest after his untimely death, mostly because I cared less for the ballad / MOR direction their music was taking. That was going to continue regardless of his death, and he was already planning to leave the band and go solo.

black_doug likes this.
  7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I will go see Townshend, maybe Daltry, but not The Who

I would see Keef, but not The Stone - mostly, because they should have stopped long ago.

Page, not Zep

Would not pay for Yes, Skynyrd, Mac, Chicago, etc.... You get the picture.

I would like to see the McVie/Fleetwood rhythm section do a 'trio' project with a bunch of top guitarist. Beck, Page, Santana, Gibbons, Frampton, Townshend, fill in your own gun slinger.

black_doug likes this.
  8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No I am talking about the part of my generation that has GOOD taste in music :lol:

Bulldoggio likes this.
  9. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I'll go see most any show in a smaller theater, with a probability of no millenials showing up.

black_doug and RoyBGood like this.
  10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Any band that peaked in 1978 I prefer to leave in 1978 where they belong.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    black_doug likes this.
  11. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Great cover band!

Muddslide likes this.
  12. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Seems like this year I've seen a whole bunch of old guys (and Tedeschi Trucks--they were amazing; next time they're nearby I'll catch them again; maybe two shows). An advantage of being in southern California is embarrassing assortment of venues. Always some band nearby that I'd love to go see.

Little Feat. Wish the sound had been better. Of course Lowell George wasn't there. He's been dead for 40 years. Third time I've seen some version of this band, if you include Paul and Fred as an acoustic duo. I'd go again and hope for better sound. And I'll definitely catch Paul and Fred whenever they're around.

Dead and Company (twice). Completely different shows. Jerry's been dead since 95. After years of avoiding the Dead-related bands because of Jerry's absence, I saw one of the Fare Thee Well Shows and have caught Dead and Co. several times. And Bob Weir and Wolf Brothers once. I'll keep showing up at least as long as Bob Weir can keep showing up.

Jim Kweskin. All by himself. He don't need no jug band. Glad to see him. Probably wouldn't go again.

Peter Asher. No Gordon, obviously. But two sidemen (people?--the bass player was female). I wouldn't go see that show again, because I've seen it once, but he's been doing some shows with Albert Lee. I'd go see that.

Jeff Lynne's ELO. Two original members of ELO (of course one of them was Jeff Lynne), and 11 people paid to make it sound like the records. Worth seeing once.

America. Two of the original three. Plus a bass player, drummer, and lead guitarist. Really good show, and they seem to be really good guys. Got to talk to their guitar tech afterwards. Young guy on lead was really good. Harmonies were tight. Mostly sounded like the records, except a couple songs got the Dylan treatment, probably so that they can stand to keep playing them, and the lead guitar was more prominent, with longer solos, than on the records. Apparently they haven't made any significant changes to the show in years, but they do play all the hits. Definitely worth seeing, but I probably won't go see them again.

black_doug and Chip like this.
  13. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

I liked the first Blood, Sweat and Tears album. The one with Al Kooper, before David Clayton Thomas joined as lead singer.
    They still tour, with no original members. From the BS&T website: Over the years more than one hundred and seventy-five musicians have flowed through the ranks of the various iterations of the BS&T.

black_doug likes this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This comment is not specific to Fleetwood Mac or any other band. I lose interest when either the music or the performance gets tired. I know the older artists want to keep performing and keep royalties coming in. There’s a time for every person in any profession to hang it up. The hardest part is knowing when the time has come.

boris bubbanov and black_doug like this.
  15. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I saw Tedeschi Trucks earlier this year and loved them. Great show. Tremendous jam band. I went in with relatively low expectations and came out a huge fan. Wish I had bought tickets for the next show, too.

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

This is the first year I didn't see Dead and Co. when they played nearby. I've seen them a bunch of times including the very first show with Mayer. I think he's doing a great job, so no complaints there. Generally speaking, I don't enjoy the shows like I used to, I'm just over it I guess. I still miss Jerry.

I will be seeing Peter Frampton later this summer, I'm also hoping there will be some Neil Young and Crazy Horse shows this fall.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I basically don't follow the drama in any band anymore. I read a little while ago that the lead singer of Molly Hatchet died. I started looking into it, and.... yawn..... nobody even knows who's in that band anymore.

black_doug likes this.
  18. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I saw ELO last week. They did a great job of recreating the sound of their radio hits. Definitely worth seeing (once) if you like that music--it reminded me of hanging out with my best man who seemingly always had ELO playing on the 8 TRACK! in his car.

AAT65 and black_doug like this.
  19. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

If I can't find them on youtube, they are of no interest to me... FWIW, my favorite youtubers are Reina Del Cid and the other Josh Turner. Concerts are fun, but I save them for vacation experiences.

Harry Styron likes this.
  20. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

I kinda lost interest in ZZ top when they started putting fur on guitars and using drum programs. There was a good tune here and there but...not many. :(

RoyBGood likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.