At what point do concert tickets become too expensive?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ricardo1912, Oct 7, 2019.

1. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I am wondering how much gig tickets have to be before folk say they can't afford them.

I was really interested when i saw that Joe Bonamassa was playing a handful of concerts in the UK next spring. He's one of my favourite guitarists and on my wish list to see live. When i looked at booking tickets for me and my partner it was going to cost, with decent seats, trsvel, etc. well over £300. For an evening.

We're not poor but we're not rich either - sort of high end MIM gear bracket. But 300 is more than i paid for my last ebay amp, which will last a lot longer. I've booked us tickets to see Jack Savoretti soon as part of her Christmas present and they weren't a fraction of that. I know he's not in the same league but still pretty popular.

I'm not sure i can justify spending all that for a couple of hours, regardless of how good Mr B is.

2. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Anything more than the $5 standard set by Fugazi is a ripoff, and there's little chance the band will be as good as Fugazi.

3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Once they hit around forty bucks I start to feel like a chump.

4. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Unfortunately the average lately has been around $150.00 per ticket, the added ticketmaster fees raise it to that price. I attend two shows per year.

jimash and Greggorios like this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I was reading this morning about how someone paid over $600 for John Mayer tickets for his concert at Madison Square Garden.

I guess if they can charge that much for tickets, that's fine. They do need to replace the income that streaming isn't providing. But, I certainly won't be paying that kind of money to go see them.

6. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

SacDAve, daveIT and Lost_N_Austin like this.
  7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We arrived there about 5 years ago. I will not pay $200 for 3rd tier in the back of the arena. I will let others buy me tickets, though.

8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Well, now that recorded music is so cheap, and often effectively given away - or stolen - they need to make their money somewhere.

But the one-off hit rules most gigs out for me. I simply do not have that kind of money lying around.

Saw Springsteen about 6 years back, £60 (about $80).

He came back a year or two later and the prices had doubled.

Nope. Not even for Bruce.

9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

We mainly go to small intimate venues. Of course that acts aren’t big name people, but they are people we like. You don’t have to spend a ton to enjoy a night out and be entertained.

P-Nutz, stevemc, fendertx and 10 others like this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not sure when it happened, but it already happened. I'll make my own music thank you.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, mostly smaller venues. You can actually get in and use the bathroom and get a beer.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think they consider clubs as concert venues.

13. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

I prefer smaller clubs where you pay 10-20 ($£) on top of the meal for live entertainment. The sound quality is better, and you can actually see the musicians.

John Nicholas and Stringbanger like this.
  14. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Woohoo, Columbus made it on the good end of a list that had nothing to do with the Buckeyes, Blue Jackets, food, or 21 Pilots.

15. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't mind paying $30 for good shows - which are mostly tribute act.

For someone I really want to see? $90 is about my limit before it's not worth it anymore.

My wife wanted to see The Who and Elton John on their last tour - but for $300 plus for someone you like but don't love, it's not worth it.

We hit that point about 10+ years ago.

Now, that $100 ticket with fees becomes $135. That is criminal. You have to be careful of the fees, not just the ticket prices.

John Nicholas and nojazzhere like this.
  16. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

My wife and I have plans to see Charlie Daniels with Travis Tritt in December. It is a couple hours travel time and we will stay in a motel as well as eating a couple meals and some drinks. I’m certain my wife will want a T-shirt. I expect to spend at least $300 including the tickets we already bought.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I rarely go to these big expensive arena shows anymore. Hundreds of dollars to sit in the nosebleed section behind someone who's had too much to drink and is more interested in taking selfies and telling everyone they're at the concert, than actually enjoying the concert -- no thanks!

There are still a lot of smaller venues where you can see great bands for 30 or 40 bucks.

18. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

I believe you are correct.

The site noted it was a general approximation based on large scale tours that generally play large venues.

I have found ticket prices in the Boston or surrounding area, for well established acts (mostly classic rock for myself) cost in the $100 range plus ridiculous fees.

19. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

My AC/DC "Back in Black" tickets cost $11... the first over $10. That was outrageous in the day :p

TBH... I no longer attend larger concerts because I cannot afford the current prices, and also because I have little interest.
    I recently paid about $25 to see Tommy Emmanuel... that seemed justifiable to me.

idjster and Wally like this.
  20. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

Concerts have turned into a once a year treat for me, and it has to be someone I really want to see. My wife and I saw Frampton's tour this summer (show was tremendous) but that was probably $500 when all was all and done. Even the smaller venues have started getting expensive here, $25 for a club show, $10 for a mediocre bar band. Hell, there's a Grateful Dead cover band that's getting $50+ for a theater show.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.