At this point, is Don Mare just trolling?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jon Pinson, Sep 26, 2021.

1. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I read all the post several times. And most all of the consensus is we're confused at the reason of the post.

"I recon the guy is having one final giggle at the folks who hang on his every word".

This sounded a little spiteful and back handed to me. Not innocuous.

Again, I could be totally off.

2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

If you were totally off, you'd be in Whitebird ;).

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was in "The Bird" on Friday.;)

4. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Don is a stand up guy and winds beautiful sounding pickups. I'm not going to share details because I don't know what he shared publicly but will say that while he was dealing with a crap ton of orders, some idjit doctors at the VA gave him an expiration date. Luckily it turned out to be based on a false positive test but took them several months to figure it out. Think about what that might to to your head before accusing him of having a giggle at his customer's expense.

5. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Afflicted

After reading through this Posting, I have the following comments:

This Posting's use of Trolling, in the title, in no way matches the content on the subject's website. The message on the website is one of an informative business update, far from being insulting or instigating conflict or arguments. Unfortunately, this post (whether intentional or not) has done just that.

We must always be careful with the words we choose when commenting on social media, and being knowledgeable on how the words we use apply to the subject being commented.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

We have lots of threads about how awful Walmart is... because it wipes out small business yadda yadda
    Then we have threads about small businesses like Don's (who I dig) or the really GREAT rattle can company (that IS awesome) and how they are quirky in the way they do business.

Its like we want walmart to be cool like Don Mare (or make BBQ like the rattle can guys) and we want the little guys to have the 'karen' counter for people to ***** at....

I welcome shortages and power outages. Knowing that some precious little people will suffer not getting to watch NCIS and bemoan the failure of our culture (even it means I have no power and food shortages) are worth it.

When Don reads this thread, hey Don, do whatever the F you want. I know you were sweating a will awhile back, don't sweat it, go have fun, we'll all wait!

7. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Would have been nice to leave the pickup descriptions and info up on the website. Just sayin.

MickM and pi like this.
  8. pi

pi Tele-Meister

yeah, I was curious to read about some of his pickups and noticed that. I used wayback machine to find the older pages.

9. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Never heard of Don Mare. After a quick search it seems he makes some pretty outstanding pickups used by some pretty well known musicians.
    As for this thread, not sure I get it.

10. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

In the words of Jerry Seinfeld: "Let the man make his soup!"

SPUDCASTER, Timbresmith1 and Danb541 like this.
  11. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Life's short. Get Bootstraps instead. Probably cost you a busload less cash and sound better in the bargain. If the man's overworked, leave him alone and let him catch his breath. Sheesh!

12. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Incredibly rude not only to Don, but to the people who like his pickups. Sounds like sour grapes.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

There is just too much "hocus pocus" over this or that pickup winder. There are a lot of great winders out there now. Most of them use that same materials, the same amount of winds based on a certain year or era. How much better can one be over the other when you have to wait over months. I don't get it! Don's pickups aren't cheap either. It's all wire and magnets.

Fretting out likes this.
  14. rdjones

rdjones Tele-Meister

There are plenty of examples of exclusive products in GuitarLand.
    Maybe Don wants to be the next "Virgil Arlo", not that there's anything wrong with that.

The alternative is mass production in a communist country in poor working conditions for pitiful wages.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

shrug

I'd still like a set of Hot Bakelites

P Thought, MickM and Ricky D. like this.
  16. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

I'd note that Totie Fields and Jaclyn Smith were but mere flesh and bones as well.

SPUDCASTER and BB like this.
  17. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Is this not exactly what you have done?...lol. I mean, that's pretty transparent isn't it? You took offence on behalf of those you are speculating that Mare is 'trolling'. If that's not true then what motivated you to post? Just a friendly chat you were wanting? :)

teletail and telemnemonics like this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Folks are gone plumb crazy everywhere I look.

Taking offense at every little thing seems to be such a habit that some folks have to look for more things to take offense at because the prevalence of feeling offense is greater than number of offensive things encountered in day to day life.

Only baffling if examined at close range but just the new normal in the larger view.

bender66, rand z, Frodebro and 2 others like this.
  19. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Here's a life hack!! Try and wake up 'pre-offended' each day. It saves a lot of time by not having to critically think about whether something is actually offensive or not.

20. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

They could have formed a duo called "Flesh and Bones" . First record- The Midnight Tones of Flesh and Bones. " Oh by the way which one's Flesh?"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.