At this point, is Don Mare just trolling?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jon Pinson, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Jon Pinson

Jon Pinson TDPRI Member

Preface: I like Don, I like Don's pickups, I have no current desire to buy any more, so I don't really have a horse in this race.

But

As many of you will know, Don stopped taking orders the best part of a year ago. I get why, his waiting list had grown to a year and he wanted to clear it, not having to constantly work under pressure. I totally get that. At the beginning of the year, he announce he would start selling limited quantities of sets in August. Ok, time to clear the backlog, then sell a limited number of sets per month on a first come first served basis. The spring came and the date was pushed back until November. Ok, backlog is taking longer to clear than planned, understandable.

Just had a look at his site now...pickups go on sale in January '22. I reckon the guy is just having one final giggle at the folks who hang on his every word.

Good luck to ya Don, you wind a fine pickup.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

So why are you posting about Don?

Seriously, I don't get it.

3. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I am sure Don Mare winds one hell of a pickup, but if I had to wait a year or longer, I would definitely go somewhere else. They can't be that good.

4. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Love Don's pickups. He took time out of his day to listen to what I was looking for and helped me to choose the best pickups for what I was trying to get and they were perfect. Before you order you know the prices and the wait times, up front - no surprises.

I think he's doing his best to manage his life, his work load and still control the quality of his product. Nothing but respect for the man and how he handles his business.

5. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

Reminds me a little of the boner I pulled when I had had a 'King of Tone' ordered for a long time. The notice finally came I was next up or something, but I had moved on and gone toward reducing pedals to just a few and had a solid sound, so I cancelled. I later read someone talking about how good the resale is, and I could have just bought it and maybe made more off it? Just going off what I read so I don't know what they go for used, or new from a different source.

Edit: just checked Reverb sold listings and it does look like, depending on the config and what it cost new, they can go for $300+ over new.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

That’s a cheap shot IMO.

Don is not MIA. He’s working under constant pressure for over a year to clear that backlog. I’m sure he wishes he had cut off orders sooner.

You ought to cut him some slack.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The entire industry is dealing with issues right now that have everybody struggling to get the parts to get their production back on schedule.

telemnemonics and Timbresmith1 like this.
  8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Since you don't have a horse in the race. I'm not sure I understand the post.

I don't have any DM pickups. But, Don seems like a pretty stand up guy. I think I remember he had some health issues in the not too distant past.

His prices are a little above the general curve. He seems to have a good product and loyal followers.

Some people pay full price and wait two years , with a certain vendor, to get their pickups with little or no customer service or website to contact.

Did you have a sour deal with him or buyers remorse?

No offence, but are you sure Don is the one trolling?

9. Jon Pinson

Jon Pinson TDPRI Member

I see this place has become populated by people with nothing better to do than take offence on behalf of others, even when it is clear none is intended.

smoothrecluse likes this.
  10. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

I own two of his pickups (hot Bakelite bridge and Big box neck). To paraphrase what Don says, they are 'Simply AWESOME!'. When you've got a success like his, you have two choices : get bigger to be able to keep up with the demand or remain a small business and accept to simply stop new orders. Many small builders, especially in the pedal business, prefer to put new demands on waiting lists which seems a better way of handling the law of supply and demand. Think of Analogman with its KOT, the waiting list length has just become ridiculous but it's part of his legend. Don prefer to not participate at this kind of craziness and it's all to his credit ! If he was younger I bet he would have chosen the waiting list as pragmatic solution, but at 64 his business model is just wisdom ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Nelg and BB like this.
  11. twangking

twangking Friend of Leo's

But everyone whines like they got their panties in a twist. Are there no other options? I can name a dozen off the top of my head.

Don't buy them. Plenty of others will. We should hand out pacifiers on this forum.

12. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity

Through a combination of superior engineering and occultic practices Don was able to capture Roy Buchanan's soul in a vintage Sprague Atom electrolytic capacitor.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lots of things (that we cannot talk about here) have people stressed out, which tends to make people just a wee bit less patient with everything overall.

14. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Don makes a good pickup.
    There’s nothing wrong if he’s up front about how long the wait list is to get one.

John Owen, Nelg, MilwMark and 2 others like this.
  15. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

it’s not clear. In fact, your post is offensive.

P Thought, Jay Isler and teletail like this.
  16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

There's not going to be a winner in this thread. Not being face to face. The post can only be taken at face value.

Maybe your intent was to be an innocent PSA. But, it comes across as raking Don over the coals for keeping customers and potential customers informed.

Sorry if my questions/observations seem to be offensive. They certainly weren't intended that way.

Sir, I sincerely apologize.

Greggorios and teletail like this.
  17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Classic troll post. You must think we are stupid. You intentionally posted the first post, right? Own it.

mad dog and teletail like this.
  18. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

The headline suggests otherwise.

The main text deviates from the tone of the headline and sounds innocuous, but sometimes people read the headline, then comment without carefully reading the post itself.
    I’ve liked Don’s posts. I try to cut people some slack; part of the reason I would never use my actual name on a product OR in a forum, though I understand how some may find it a benefit.

Greggorios and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Taking personally someone's business practices--when they are totally up front about their work--is a hobby for many people these days.

It's 'victim mentality' and it makes a person a sheep.

Don't be a sheep.

20. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

Okay. The irony is significant.

Jay Isler, MilwMark and getbent like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.