At least 11 have died this year climbing Mt Everest

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 28, 2019.

1. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

There is no way for most people living at a mile high or lower to accurately guess how their body will react to the extreme altitude of Everest. People who can run Ironman races and Death Valley marathons still die from breathing issues and heart attacks at 27,000 feet plus above sea level. The lung and heart issues can’t be tested for these weaknesses at the near sea levels most of the earth’s population lives in. It seems like a tragic gamble for all these low altitude born and raised athletes to decide that they are fit for strenuous activities in high altitude/low oxygen environments. Win the gamble and you have a story to tell at social gatherings, lose the gamble and you are dead.

jannodude and boris bubbanov like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Everest is now Wal Mart on black Friday.

beyer160 and william tele like this.
  3. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I had no idea the peak was such a high traffic area, how long before it gets a Starbuck's?

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I saw that scene on the evening news and was half amazed, yet it made perfect sense.

Interestingly, most of those "climbers" had so little training, they could not even turn back if they felt they couldn't stay conscious for the hours wait before their turn.
    Have to wonder if most of them could even comprehend what they signed up for.

I can understand the need to test our mortality too, and have done lots of dumb stuff in my youth just for a rush, though rock climbing was more than the rush, I truly love hanging from high places with no ropes.

Freezing cold, thin air, frequent sudden storms and high winds?
    No, not attractive, that's a whole nother kind of crazy.

Back to those climbers though, anyone who truly wants to climb Everest has been ice climbing for years.
    Those people who didn't know how to operate their tech gear were not IMO mountain climbing fans.

More of a bizarre social media misinformation age freak show.

I mean TV news really looks more and more like the end of days, just not the way it's portrayed by the placard carrying crazies.
    Instead of a few crazies warning the masses, the masses are the crazies warning the few.

william tele likes this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

But not always the same year that they went up...

6. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

On a news program here in Oz about lunchtime an Aussie Lt. Colonel in the Aus. military was interviewed about his climbs to the summit. Apparently he has done it a few times. He was asked by the interviewer if he had seen bodies near the summit. He said there are lots, one trip he had to step over the corpse of some-one he knew. He said that was a bit daunting!

DC

telemnemonics and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I can see how something like that could put a damper on a holiday.
    You would think if they are stepping over them they could take a piece back with them until the place was cleaned up and the deceased were all brought down from the mountain and given a proper burial.

Maybe they could encourage the idea by pointing out the potential for taking some selfies while doing it?

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  8. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

9. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Sorry, I didn't mean to post the above. I was on the bus reading it, and my phone is so sensitive. My finger hit the button by mistake.

Mike

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

S’okay, TD’s posts are always worth repeating!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Well, some of them might. It's not elephant season.

I'd like to organize a 7 continents big game tour. You would have the opportunity to kill the largest animals on all 7 continents in just 3 weeks. There would be upgrades available for endangered species. I think seats would sell like hotcakes.

To meet such a time frame, it would have to be what I like to call a 'curated hunting experience'. So there would be a back end effort that would place the animals in exactly the right spots when the hunters are there. We'd also have photographers positioned in just the right locations to commemorate the hunt and the moment of the kill.

But I think it would be worth it for busy professionals to have everything set up beforehand. And we'd give them a little pamphlet they could give to their girlfriends back home that explains how you're really saving the animals by slaughtering them.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think there is way more honor & accomplishment in doing something like an Ironman.

You do an Ironman no one pushes your bike for you or gives you a tow line in the water.

The amount of assistance these people are receiving and then saying they climbed the mountain is a little ridiculous. $10k+ permit fee, 10s of thousands of dollars to pay Sherpas and guides to carry their stuff up the mountain for them, then they don't even pack their trash out.

Way more accomplishment doing a more modest mountain but doing it all on your own without this exploitative system working to make it easier for you.

telemnemonics and blowtorch like this.
  13. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

They all want to meet Yuki.

61114086_10217916405399210_5630537030808109056_o.jpg

studio1087 and boris bubbanov like this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool pup!

The fewer people there are, the more I like a mountain.

And, it is getting to the point that some of these people are "virtually" reaching the summit. After all they don't start at sea level or hike up from their home. Nepal will probably institute a permit system, but what if they put the base camp 25 miles further away at 4,000 fewer feet in elevation?

15. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

There might be a Venn diagram somewhere that shows some overlap! No, but really, though, I'm fine with rich idiots falling off of mountains if that's what they want to do. They can precede it by going to run with the bulls in Spain and getting gored.

16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

This is exactly what I always think about. Forget Richie Rich white guy buying his way to the top of Everest. So effing what? Those Sherpas do it repeatedly like a regular day at the office and no one cares.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Some wait for decades. Hillary argued to the day he died he was the first. Not Mallory or Irvine. Not any other unknown and non-White human. Dead men tell no tales.

Bragging rights for the rich. 'Twas always the case.

I blame Johnny Knoxville for making the unwashed masses think we can all be extreme thrill seekers, er, "adventurers", too.

18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I'm not ok with rich idiots destroying sensitive and unique environments for their own pleasure and bragging rights. Everest has become a mass grave and trash dump.

Because it's there.
    George Herbert Leigh Mallory, 1923

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I saw the photo of the Everest line/logjam I showed it to my wife and she said "Instagram" and walked outta the room.

I know those folks that do those things.

Luckily they're not around at parties much because they're always doing all that, but, when they are ?

They go weirdly silent when the conversation is not about them or what they've been doing.And they're struck if you haven't been keeping up with their adventures.

20. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Most of the serious climbers only do Everest as a part of meeting the goal of climbing all 14, 8000 meter or higher mountains. For a long time, THE PEAK to climb if you want show how good of a climber you are, is K2. It's a lot more remote location-wise, and much harder to climb, with a much higher failure rate. Unlike Everest, nobody's been able to complete a successful climb of K2 in the winter.

There are some lower altitude peaks that are even nastier climbs. Nanga Parbat for a long time was known as The Maneater. The Ogre is even nastier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baintha_Brakk

Only a handful of climbers have successfully climbed it, and the first party to do it (in 1976) almost died in the process, with one of the climbers breaking both of his ankles and basically having to crawl his way down the mountain, with part of that crawl being during a blizzard!

jannodude and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.