Astros Busted! Red Sox Next?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Jan 13, 2020.

1. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's been a roller coaster 24 hour news cycle in Houston. I think The Texans coach is probably the only guy in Houston that was happy MLB made their announcement today. Sports talk radio took a hard left the minute the news dropped.

I find it funny, even within this thread there is a sliding scale of acceptable cheating. So how can you possibly determine what punishment is just? They got red handed for sure, past that I don't know what is appropriate in terms of punishment.

I think the owner Crane made his only move to try to start the process of eventually returning the organization to any level of credibility. What sucks is Hinch had us fooled. We thought he was going to be our "respected all time great" coach. Reading the comments about his testimony was a big let down. He didn't approve of the sign stealing and smashed the monitors twice, but they continued to do it any way? Come on, what manager would allow that in his club house? Sounds like a CYA line of defense.

Part of me is even worried that Lunhow and Hinch will land somewhere in a few years and help another team win. That is what sucks, both men have a lot of talent and didn't need to be complicit in cheating to put a playoff team together. They allowed it directly or indirectly and put a shadow on the some of the greatest sports moments in Houston history.

FLHT likes this.
  2. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

This is worse than Bonds and Clemens. I never had a problem with either poster boy as they were clearly a couple steps ahead of all of the other roid users. In fact Bonds started using them after watching lesser players use them. He hit 73 HR with about dozen legit balls worth hitting that season-I actually liked baseball better with steroids then people outright cheating by electronically stealing signs and beating on trash can lids. Both the Astros and Sox deserve to have their titles taken away. Alex Cora should be suspended for 2 full years. He will be fired like Hinch. Thank god Fiers exposed the Astros. I have to wonder if the 4 away games that DC won were the result of skewing their signs to fool the Astros. If so, that would be great. To me the Dodgers have now won back to back World Series in 2017 and 2018.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think they should suspend the entire team for the 2020 season. They ALL were in on it!

FLHT likes this.
  4. Turtleneck

Turtleneck TDPRI Member

The Dodgers did seemingly get hosed in both World Series.

Might be worth looking at some video of those games.

Chip likes this.
  5. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. I understand they wanted to go after management more, but I don't get why the players get a pass.

6. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

Your comment about the Texans coach cracked me up. I don't know what's just, but I think the punishment should be severe enough that everyone in the league decides it's not worth it.

fendertx likes this.
  7. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

There is no cheating in baseball. There is no gambling in baseball.

8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I realize that this is not an original thought but poor Joe Girardi. Yankees lost Games 6 and 7 in Houston after being up 3-2 in ALCS. If he had won either game, he would have made it to the WS and likely not been fired.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    bftfender, Chip and VWAmTele like this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

to me, the comparison between the gambling, roids and sign stuff is a false equivalence... but, fair enough... I also accept that folks will want to do that.

I think the Dodgers would have lost either way as they have lost in a variety of ways to other lesser teams... but I can imagine it is additional agony for them.

10. tap4154

Probably some deal in their contracts. But they all knew it was happening, and went along.

FLHT likes this.
  11. tap4154

So maybe Kershaw really wasn't that bad, they just knew what he was tossing.

DougM likes this.
  12. getbent

punishing management is easy. punishing union players... becomes a nightmare and a bad look for the league.

the story is that neither hinch nor the gm liked the cheating but did not do enough to shut it down... that is the price of 'leadership' if you don't lead, you go down.

FLHT, tap4154 and fendertx like this.
  13. getbent

yeah, I don't think so... I think people knew what Koufax was throwing but it didn't matter...

if you cannot breathe it isn't easy to prevail.

tap4154 likes this.
  14. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Wait! What? Did I miss the news? Bill Belicheat is in baseball now? WOW!

DougM likes this.
  15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

16. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

It's getting to be more like Spring Cleaning!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    fendertx likes this.
  17. tap4154

So who instigated it? I found a video of it happening on Twitter, but am reticent to link it because the commentator cusses like a sailor. But it was clearly happening.

18. fendertx

Good point about the players union and the lack of punishment. At the risk of sounding like a salty Astros fan I'll take it a step farther. Many of the talking heads have been speculating that while the Stros were the focus due to Fiers dropping the dime, they expect many teams will get outed for various cheating methods. I recall hearing the Astros, Sox, Yankees and Dodgers all being mentioned and potentially more. If baseball does find evidence of many teams having cheating in this manner, it could get real messy trying to discipline all those players.

f69tele likes this.
  19. fendertx

The report put the blame on Cora and several players for the scheme.

tap4154 likes this.
  20. getbent

I think Cora is the guy... and if that is true... then it has been going on in several organizations and probably for awhile...

f69tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.