Assembling a keeper guitar

River Dog

NEW MEMBER!
I have got fed up with my guitars, so I have decided to sell them and focus on just the one (for now). So, I have been assembling my keeper guitar. I decided on a vintage-style Strat for its looks, variety of tones, availability of parts and because most of my favourite blues guitarists use one.

IMG_2713.jpg

From various sources, new and used. The neck, jack socket and strap buttons are from a Bullet Strat (neck seems pretty decent after a thorough dressing). An elder body in nitro sonic blue from Franchin Guitars in Italy (where I live). They are really beautiful, accurate and reasonably priced. Worth a look, and they have other styles.

Vintage-style tuners, Fender neck plate, Fender pickups from the early 90s at the neck and middle. Secondhand Texas Special at the bridge. Tremelo is from a MIM with five springs. Funky, gold-foil effect pickup covers are from some cheap humbuckers I had lying around. Action is set pretty high at the moment with thicker gauge strings, as I experiment with tone.

As the body was slightly aged, I have done the same with the rest but not too heavy. Boot polish and some acid to tone things down a little. All wired up with ToneShaper components and vintage cable.

I play through a Fender Excelsior pawn shop tube amp with upgraded tubes, a Hall of Fame Reverb, Cry Baby and Tube Screamer Mini. I can definitely hear the kind of tone I am seeking.

Tweed case was a daft price from gear4music.

Not quite there yet. I will continue to look for some better used parts and swap them out over time. It still needs some tweaking but I am enjoying the journey.

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I play through a Fender Excelsior pawn shop tube amp with upgraded tubes, a Hall of Fame Reverb, Cry Baby and Tube Screamer Mini. I can definitely hear the kind of tone I am seeking.

Welcome man! Excellent! Really like the way she looks, and likewise I have a similar setup as you, so.... I know the tone in which you speak ;) Looks really nice man!

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Very cool! :cool::cool::cool:

That’s a sweet-looking guitar…did I read that right—you stained the neck/headstock with boot polish? Does it soak in well and not come off on your clothes/hands?