Assembled myself an NBD today.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Well, a couple of months ago, I visited the workshop where I had been building basses on a professional level for 18 years from 1998 until 2016 when a very painful accident destroyed my shoulder and ended my career as a professional bass builder.

Anyway, during that visit, my former boss began piling unfinished projects and reject bodies and parts into my hands. Which included an alder Music man copy body which had been eaten from by wood worm, not all that much but enough to make it unusable.
Body.JPG

This body, although made as a four string, I decided would be the perfect candidate to marry with a random 5 string neck I had lying around.
bass.JPG

Yeah, it´s pretty much impossible to reach the 24'th fret but hey, who cares.

I didn't document the entire process but I decided to use an eighties EMG P-6 pickups (which to all purposes is two guitar pickups wired together) and place it in a reverse P setting, giving the bass a very Yamaha BB-1200 vibe.
DSC03004.JPG

I'll be the first to admit that the sonic blue finish wasn't the neatest job, I just worked with what I had and one thing I do not have at home is a fully kitted out workshop.
DSC03005.JPG

The relic job is halfhearted, not really all that convincing either but with use, genuine wear will improve the bass' looks in time. I will replace that back plate though.

So how does the "Catface" (Named after both the sticker above the B-sting and a song from my band's) sound?
DSC03003.JPG

Much better than I thought it would actually. The B is nice and Punchy and it has a lot more clarity than I thought it would have. I'll take it along to band rehearsal upcoming Thursday to see how it handles itself in a band set up.

But overall, this has been a lot of fun.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Well, a couple of months ago, I visited the workshop where I had been building basses on a professional level for 18 years from 1998 until 2016 when a very painful accident destroyed my shoulder and ended my career as a professional bass builder.

Anyway, during that visit, my former boss began piling unfinished projects and reject bodies and parts into my hands. Which included an alder Music man copy body which had been eaten from by wood worm, not all that much but enough to make it unusable.
View attachment 943392
This body, although made as a four string, I decided would be the perfect candidate to marry with a random 5 string neck I had lying around.
View attachment 943391
Yeah, it´s pretty much impossible to reach the 24'th fret but hey, who cares.

I didn't document the entire process but I decided to use an eighties EMG P-6 pickups (which to all purposes is two guitar pickups wired together) and place it in a reverse P setting, giving the bass a very Yamaha BB-1200 vibe.
View attachment 943394
I'll be the first to admit that the sonic blue finish wasn't the neatest job, I just worked with what I had and one thing I do not have at home is a fully kitted out workshop.
View attachment 943395
The relic job is halfhearted, not really all that convincing either but with use, genuine wear will improve the bass' looks in time. I will replace that back plate though.

So how does the "Catface" (Named after both the sticker above the B-sting and a song from my band's) sound?
View attachment 943393
Much better than I thought it would actually. The B is nice and Punchy and it has a lot more clarity than I thought it would have. I'll take it along to band rehearsal upcoming Thursday to see how it handles itself in a band set up.

But overall, this has been a lot of fun.

Looks great!! I love the pickups. And the color.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Hey, that’s cool! Its color reminds me of a buddy’s Hagstrom he used to have. It looks like a working tool, not a display queen, and that is right up my alley. Nice work!