Assembled "CS" Stratocasters with COA

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 000Blues, Aug 15, 2020.

1. 000Blues

000Blues TDPRI Member

Hi All, I spotted a "Custom Shop" '56 Stratocaster being sold with Fender COA paperwork last night on Reverb and the neck is clearly missing the V logo "Custom Shop" on the backside. It is titled:

"1956 Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster Closet Classic with COA two color Vintage Burst. Just right."

, but the neck looks very very wrong....

I messaged the seller to let them know the neck doesn't appear to be Custom Shop and they wrote back "Oh yes it is! I was a dealer and kept this one for myself. I never really liked the Fender Neck finish. It made my hand movement less fluid. Thanks for checking up on me. I’ve only been at this since 1969." and then "Ps. I had the neck finished per my specs. Also if you want to question me or my products, please don’t be snotty."

Am I allowed to post the link on here as an example on what to watch out for when buying?

awasson likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Sure you can post a link. Is it this one?

https://reverb.com/item/26572727-19...c-with-coa-two-color-vintage-burst-just-right

I'm pretty certain the CS does not issue guitars with no CS decal...even to dealers, because they got no special treatment.

Sounds a bit sketchy to me. I mention this because if they did, the seller would've included something like the following in the listing:

"For you CS experts, you'll notice there's no CS decal on the neck. This was a special order and the customer requested no neck decal."

Being a dealer--he would know some interested buyers would question the missing decal. I think he's being purposefully shady.

I think it's not a CS neck.

"This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned unless it arrives in a condition different from how it was described or photographed." Buyer beware.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The seller actually seems pretty confident in this - he's probably telling the truth. But like the guy above me said, he probably should have specified this in the listing to avoid confusion.

4. DesmoTele

DesmoTele TDPRI Member

I didn't even know if this would work for CS models, but Fender site seems to indicate it's legit.

upload_2020-8-15_11-43-54.png

koopus likes this.
  5. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

if the neck was refinished, it should be disclosed in the description. I'd spend my 3k elsewhere.

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

Stratosphere will sell you a Custom Shop body with a COA.

8. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

So he sanded down the finish and removed the custom shop decal (and the serial number), then refinished it without replacing? Alright.

So then I wonder what is his reasoning for the lack of CS insignia on neck plate? I suppose the proper one affects playing as well.

Even if they are genuine parts, this is now just a partscaster and value is no where near what he’s asking.

oldfish and nojazzhere like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Annotation 2020-08-15 102902.png

He could be telling you the truth, that he ordered it without the decal. I know I would for those prices, no need for more logos. However the seller is saying he didn't like the Fender neck finish, and had it refinished to his spec, implying it was done by somebody else. If so, then it is not 'mint' and dude is shady. Decal or not, the loopy answer is enough indication right there about who I'm possibly dealing with.

If the seller talked to me like the above quoted text, simply for asking questions before I send a large sum of money, I'd move on. Only missing piece in this case is what OP said in message. Even if a slight bit 'snotty', I'd still handle a potential customer as a potential sale--with basic respect no matter what.

awasson, Fretting out and nojazzhere like this.
  10. 000Blues

000Blues TDPRI Member

Yes, that is the correct link above!

My original message was a straight forward one liner to the seller as a heads up:

"Hi, For your information, that is NOT a custom shop neck."

I don't even trust the body as being CS at this point ;)

11. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it could be the product of a refin on a CS neck. But any story like that would make me walk away.

If the seller were completely on the up and up, he'd show a pic of the disassembled neck heel where it mates with the pocket. That would help prove his point.

Not all CS guitars have the CS logo on the neck plate.

awasson and Electric Warrior like this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Seller was a Fender CS dealer, been at it since 1969, calls alder "alderwood", fails to mention a mint guitar was refinished, and is now a seller who doesn't tolerate questions about his misinformation?
    At best.

13. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Odd, he updated his listing to include:
    Some of the Custom Shop neck finishes are slightly sticky. I asked world famous Sonoma County guitar luthier, Michael Dolan, to refinish backside neck with Nitro. Hence no CS Decal on backside neck.

Why would world famous luthier Michael Dolan refinish the headstock when he could just do the neck?

awasson likes this.
  14. 000Blues

000Blues TDPRI Member

• Hi, For your information, that is NOT a custom shop neck.

• Oh yes it is! I was a dealer and kept this one for myself. I never really liked the Fender Neck finish. It made my hand movement less fluid.

Thanks for checking up on me. I’ve only been at this since 1969.

• Ps. I had the neck finished per my specs. Also if you want to question me or my products, please don’t be snotty.

• Sounds very questionable! Who refinished the neck with the MIM finish?

• Listen Buddy! You don't know what your talking about. Is this all you have to do? I wish I could meet you in person.

Don't pester me anymore, I really sick and tired of your stupid process here.

Back way off.

Most sincerely,

Cap'n Mike

• PS Anymore stupid accusations and I'll inform Reverb. Look at my feedbacks if you really want to learn something.

15. 000Blues

000Blues TDPRI Member

"Hence no CS Decal on backside neck. Your gonna love this one!"

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

He can be as arrogant as he wants but there is no way I would touch that guitar. It has this lovely caveat:
    "This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned".

I would also think a '56 Relic would be ash rather than "alderwood".

KT89, awasson and pi like this.
  17. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

That seller is not telling the whole truth.

No worries. Some rube will come along and spend their own money on it.

Don't be That Guy.

awasson likes this.
  18. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

The seller is allegedly a former dealer trying to sell a guitar for $3000. The least he could do is pull the neck to show off any marks and he still hasn't. Run away.

awasson likes this.
  19. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

Note to self: Don't buy anything from Cap'n Mike's Music.

Maybe we should ALL "pester" him about his $3000 MiM Strat.

awasson likes this.
  20. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

No legit dealer would behave that way. Shop elsewhere.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.