Asperger's, art and too many guitars (geek warning)

drewg

Tele-Afflicted
While I'm on the subject, last gig our band played, tech e-mailed a week before the show asking about my setup and could I draw him a quick plan? Sent him this... and everything still turned out okay :)

View attachment 984551

Looks like Hunter THompson. Have any meds for lunch..lol

Nice transistion art.!

Cool! Looking at those arms, this made me think of Picasso, cubism... Someone said it, it would make a great t-shirt. Title: My Set-up Plan

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
Love your drawings and comments! I understand completely that you wound up with two teles. But after all those cool guitars you've documented, no acoustic?
That's right, no acoustic except for a battered oahu lapsteel from the 1940's that's not in playable condition. I'm deep into tele vibes these days and that's enough to keep me busy, but some days I miss having a good acoustic -- sure would like to add both a decent steelstring and a nylon string to the arsenal, but those will cost me a limb and I'm on a tight budget these days. Priorities, priorities. I'll get there one day, but for the time being I'm pretty happy plunkin' away on the teles.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Updated inventory list from 2021, annotated with dates, prices, basic info... because you know us Aspies like to obsess over this kind of stuff :)

View attachment 984542
View attachment 984543
View attachment 984544
View attachment 984545
View attachment 984546
Referring to the strat and tele on the bottom does “bunk” in this context mean good? Since you said you played them daily

I’m not up on todays terms but “bunk” to me always meant that it’s bad, and not Michael Jackson bad

drewg

Tele-Afflicted
This comment makes me happy. For all you lovers of trashy rock'n'roll mayhem, more pictures from my diary below, in a variety of drawing styles: a couple of self-portraits and a couple of band pics, most drawn right before or after shows we played. Since people seem to dig it, maybe I should do a limited tshirt run...

I think we're witnessing an artistic genius, here. Have you exhibited these anywhere, Steebz? These are amazing! So original!

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
Referring to the strat and tele on the bottom does “bunk” in this context mean good? Since you said you played them daily

I’m not up on todays terms but “bunk” to me always meant that it’s bad, and not Michael Jackson bad
Yessir Bunk means bad, and it's also the pseudonym I go by in the band: Bunkley "Bunk" Mud. The strat and the tele labeled Bunk are the ones I abused in band context, I call them Bunkcasters 🤔

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
I think we're witnessing an artistic genius, here. Have you exhibited these anywhere, Steebz? These are amazing! So original!
Thanks so much for your appreciation! Well I've been working as a freelance illustrator for the past 20 years, mostly doing super clean digital editorial stuff under the Khuan+Ktron moniker ( https://www.instagram.com/khuanktron/ ) but when the covid ****storm broke loose I needed a way to vent my pent up rock'n'roll anger and I started doing these loose trashy drawings and writings: https://www.instagram.com/doodspook/ This stuff is relatively new to me but I love doing it. Had a first 'trash' exhibition a couple of weeks ago, folks seem to dig it...

Last edited:

kbold

Friend of Leo's
actually, my second tele -- the first one scared me enough to sell it after two days
What was it about the first Tele that made you "sperge out" ?
I mean, I know Tele's can be unforgiving critters at times.

Sent him this... and everything still turned out okay
Techie could see this was going to be a fun night.

joshote

Tele-Meister
Geez, this keeps getting better and better. I couldn't sleep and figured I'd check out TDPRI to get my mind off of things. Great posts. I love the second set of black and whites with the notes. Thanks for sharing!

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
What was it about the first Tele that made you "sperge out" ?
I mean, I know Tele's can be unforgiving critters at times.
Do you mean the first Tele (that scared me to death and that I got rid of after two days) or the second one (with the love at first sight)?

CX Hunter

Tele-Meister
Having lived (and played) in India for 10 years, I encountered many white/European travelers who’d become enamored of the various Indian religious sects, and they all had certain “tells” or distinct characteristics they shared within their distinct communities. What I always noted was that the white Sikhs were extremely fond, if not obsessed, with the costume: the wrap of the turban, the cut of the blouse and pants and with the men, how big and lush the beard. Minus the costume there seemed to be nothing much there.

Last edited:

kbold

Friend of Leo's
I feel like I'm on a roll, kinda hard to stop posting guitar-related art so here's a quick one for the road: second tattoo I ever did, machine-free tattoo-poking practice on my left leg, felt inspired the day after I bought the Baja... I'm not a pro tattoo artist by any means, I just like me some slow torture.

View attachment 984617
Hate to give you the news .... might make you sperg out.
Your tattoo is missing the fret marker on the 21st fret. Oh well, back to the torture room.

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
Having lived (and played) in India for 10 years, I encountered many white/European travelers who’d become enamored of the various Indian religious sects, and they all had certain “tells” or distinct characteristics they shared within their distinct communities. What I always noted was that the white Sikhs were extremely fond, if not obsessed, with the costume: the wrap of the turban, the cut of the blouse and pants and with the men, how big and lush the beard. Minus the costume there seemed to nothing much there.
True. Didn't take long before my ex was wearing the full get-up -- outfit, turban, daggers and all. She's more hard-line Sikh (Khalsa?) now than most Punjabi. I'm not one to get lost (urhm, found) in that sort of thing but I have to agree the Golden Temple was a magical place. But I felt much more at home once we went up into the Himalayas -- different vibe altogether, and about the friendliest people I ever met. That said, I'm Belgian but most people I talked to in India mistook me for 'a Kiwi'. Still wondering why.

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
Hate to give you the news .... might make you sperg out.
Your tattoo is missing the fret marker on the 21st fret. Oh well, back to the torture room.
Good grief! Breaking out the ol' ink and needles right away, I'm not gonna lose one good nights sleep over this! I've been running around like an idiot for years -- thanks for pointing this out and restoring my cosmic balance!

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
The first Tele that scared you to death (although it seems you did live).
Recollection is rather vague but I picked up that first one on a whim, thinking "I should own a tele since everybody's raving about them." I'd been mostly playing acoustics up to that point (folk/blues fingerpicking style) and I had no idea how to make an electric (let alone a tele) sound okay. Didn't even own a decent amp back then, might have gone straight into an interface, and to make things worse I probably used my steel picks with the 9's previous owner had installed. Goes without saying: it sounded horrible -- harsh, buzzy, trebly, totally unforgiving -- and I felt like a total klutz. Took me another three years of climbing a steep learning curve (about electrics, amps, dialing in a decent sound, setup, playing style etc) before I mustered up the courage to try playing a tele again. After that, I just took off. I guess on a tele, there's nowhere to hide and you gotta know at least a bit what you're doing. Ever catch that youtube clip of Josh Homme playing George Harrisons rosewood tele? Speaks volumes...

Last edited:

CX Hunter

Tele-Meister
True. Didn't take long before my ex was wearing the full get-up -- outfit, turban, daggers and all. She's more hard-line Sikh (Khalsa?) now than most Punjabi. I'm not one to get lost (urhm, found) in that sort of thing but I have to agree the Golden Temple was a magical place. But I felt much more at home once we went up into the Himalayas -- different vibe altogether, and about the friendliest people I ever met. That said, I'm Belgian but most people I talked to in India mistook me for 'a Kiwi'. Still wondering why.
I’ve had largely good experiences with the various sects. The Punjabis tho in particular. Pretty much uniformly hard-working and honest. Golden Temple is a really special place. The singing of the ragis is really amazing with those dual harmonies. Spent the afternoon washing talis and chatting with other volunteers: a really memorable experience.