Asperger's, art and too many guitars (geek warning)

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
In 2009, my then-wife and me took a trip to India, where she had a spiritual epiphany. She converted to Sikhism practically on the spot, and less than a year later she moved out of our house in Brabant, Belgium and joined the Sikh community in London, England. I found myself sitting in an empty house with too much spare time on my hands, and since I've always been a huge lover of music and didn't want to waste all that free time playing video games and being depressed, I thought I'd try and learn to play an instrument. I'd just discovered some old Son House clips on the Tube and that seemed... doable. So I ordered my first guitar from Thomann and started learning some basic stuff.

I got lost in the joy of playing and listening to music pretty quickly, and started to dig deeper in folk and blues history. After Son House and Charley Patton came the Blind Willies and piedmont picking. Found out about John Fahey and Jack Rose, and learned to play lapsteels. Moved on to Appalachian music and learned to play old-time banjo. And after a couple of years, I met a drummer who became a close friend and we started a rock'n'roll band -- enter the electrics.

Over the past 12 years, a lot of instruments came and went. Some left the house after a week, others stayed with me for years. I've never had a huge budget, and I've always managed to stay in this weird equilibrium of selling old stuff to buy new stuff. It was never about the gear though, or about sounding like somebody else, but rather about inspiration and fun, and about feeling comfortable enough with an instrument to express myself in a natural way. That all ended when I picked up my first tele (actually, my second tele -- the first one scared me enough to sell it after two days) and I fell in love head over heels. To me, the tele is a magical thing. It just does everything.

Below is a chronological list of all the stuff I've owned up to 2016. Everything's gone now -- the drawings and the memories are all that's left. And since drawings sitting in a folder are drawings unseen, I thought I might post them in the TDPRI -- I think I'm in the right place here and some of you might appreciate them. Meanwhile, I'm down to the two trusty teles in my avatar, and I'm happy as a clam.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
Yep, I'm in the club, too. What larks . . .
So nice to hear I'm not alone with the quirks
As they say ' when one door closes another one opens', and you seem to have made the most of the situation. And from me too, superb drawings
Yes, you might say my ex-wife wasn't the only one to have had a spiritual epiphany :)

Thanks for the kind comments everybody!

allesz

Tele-Holic
I like It, It could be a great wallpaper, or a tissue decoration.
Don't start embroidery, It would be too much :)
Btw I share almost the same first telly experience: I put my tele on sale about a week after I got It. I felt naked.
In my defence, it was around '98 and I came from Jacksons and Floyds; a kid.
Then, after about a month, a guy called to buy it.... I told him that I just had sold it... Of course It was a lie: I had fallen in love and it stayed with me almost 20 years.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I see the Strat in your graph paper drawings, but not in color . . . maybe you should let a deadline slide and catch up on your artwork. ;)

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
Btw I share almost the same first telly experience: I put my tele on sale about a week after I got It. I felt naked.
That's so true -- there's no hiding on a tele. My first one was a Squire CV 50s, played it for an hour and I just knew I wasn't ready for it. Left me completely stumped and humbled. Bought a Baja three years later... head over heels. In fact, of all the stuff I've ever owned, that Baja is the only guitar I regret selling. Luckily it now lives with a dear friend who loves it as much as I did and I still get to play it every now and then.

Steebz Khuan

TDPRI Member
I see the Strat in your graph paper drawings, but not in color . . . maybe you should let a deadline slide and catch up on your artwork. ;)
You're right, I should, sometimes (ehr, oftentimes) I just need a gentle kick in the butt. I'm not one to let a deadline slide but I'll get on that inventory update asap...

John C

Friend of Leo's
Fantastic work! Those drawings are great. I love the dichotomy between the detailed drawings of the instruments that have come and gone and the Thompson-esque stage drawing!

Thank you for sharing.