Aspen Pittman

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jhundt, Aug 12, 2019.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

RIP

Yeah, I have the 2nd edition and some other one, 4th or 5th. I kept both because the pictures are different. They were around before you could get schematics on the net. Not the definitive stories on the amp companies, but pretty cool reading nonetheless.

I don't care about the GT rebranding, although I guess matching wasn't as common when he started, not as many dealers offered matched tubes.

Also sad because it seems the cause of death was a car accident.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

He was a visionary!
    RIP, sir.

RedRock, nojazzhere and uriah1 like this.
  4. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Yes. Rest In Peace Mr Pittman : it's because God wanted a good tube guitar amp tech... ;)

-tbln

boredguy6060 likes this.
  5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

He does have a reputation for keeping the best for himself.

tubelectron likes this.
  6. Denton

Denton TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I crossed Aspen by chance about 10 years ago. I was needing a quad of 7027’s for a V4, and I saw a quad of GT branded Sylvania’s on eBay. I bid and won them from Aspen not knowing who he was. We communicated back and forth a little and then he offered me a copy of his tube book for like $20 with the order. I said sure, still not knowing anything about him but having a thirst for more tube amp info. I received the tubes (great btw) and this great hardback book with full color pics and a second section of schematics. He autographed the book with a personal message to me. It was very cool! Still have it of course. I pulled it out a few days ago out of the blue to look something up. RIP. He was really cool to me on that eBay transaction.

Paul in Colorado and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

What brought me out of my Peavey solid state period was a music store guy in Fargo telling me my amp was a pile of dung and turning me on to Aspen's book. That was the early 90s and his book, lead to many more books and the obsession with tube amps I still have today.
    You have to admire a person like him, that has the guts to turn a passion into a profession. That's a pretty rare thing and certainly not something I or most of us will ever do.
    My condolences to the family and may he rest in peace.

8. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i went to the groove tubes closing and picked up a few items including the coffee table version of his amp book that he signed for me. rip aspen!

play music!

9. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Back about 15 years ago, the Gerald Weber book was practically the only tube amp book you could find in stores and the Aspen Pittman book came out later which was written more clearer and came with all the schematics. I used to read it every night to learn how amps worked and finally understood the concepts of signal flow and push pull amplifiers. Just a great resource for anyone interested in fixing or modifying their amplifier. I talked to Aspen at NAMM right after he sold Groove Tubes to Fender, super nice guy and guided me to the mods you can do to a Groove Tubes Brick to get more headroom and frequency response. He was a one of a kind genius in electronics. Sorry to hear he ended this way.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

He will share it with the Godfather, otherwise he will have to front many great musicians already up there... :D

-tbln

boredguy6060 likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear this. :(
    My copy of his Tube Amp Book is the fourth edition.....with the receipt from Musician's Friend where I ordered it, Jan. 17, 1994. Bought it before Gerald Weber's book (from Gerald at a guitar show, Oct.22, 1994) Used to talk to Aspen at guitar shows, as well.....seemed a nice guy.
    I did try a couple sets of matched Groove Tubes.....they were good, but not outstanding.....at least not for the price. Still, Aspen did a lot for getting tube amp info out to the public. R.I.P.

12. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

He autographed my copy of the Tube Amp Book before he sold GT to Fender. He was a great guy.

Rest in peace.

RedRock and nojazzhere like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

BTW.....Aspen's Tube Amp Book was first copyrighted in 1986. Gerald Weber's Desktop Reference of Hip Vintage Guitar Amps was 1994......according to my copies.;)

Wally likes this.
  14. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Talking general availability in book stores versus publishing date. Pittman's book was not that prevalent because of it's size and technical nature. It could be found in a few places but Barnes and Nobles and B. Dalton, didn't carry it initially. The Weber books were out there first, at least here in California.

nojazzhere and jhundt like this.
  15. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

In 1968, I picked up a first edition "Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook" by Jack Darr in a Sandy's Electronics in Canoga Park, CA. It had lots of service information and amp schematics. By that time, I had already been building amps for eight years. Dang, Im old....

16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

wow a major loss, this really sucks huge....

RedRock likes this.
  17. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

maybe so, in terms of general release. I had Pittman's book first, a few years before I saw (and purchased) Gerry Weber's. I think I bought AP's book at a guitar show, but I really can't remember for sure. I know I got the GW book at a show.

I also had a copy of that Jack Darr book, photocopied from a friend's original. And an old 1962 edition of the RCA Tube manual. These three - and a complete lack of any knowledge whatsoever about absolutely anything to do with electronics - convinced me that somehow I could build a Fender Tweed Bassman 5f6-a copy. And I did...

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

RIP to a major guy in our tube amp family .

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have my copy of the Tube Amp book around here somewhere. I think I met him once at a guitar show in California. Sad to hear of his passing.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

RIP, Indeed.
    I bought the Aspen Pittman book before the Weber book was out. In fact, by the time the G. Weber book was published, I already had a folder full of much of the info saved from his Vintage Guitar columns....all of the questions and answer section, for example, were in my folder.

Would that I had bought this book long before I did.

As a beginner, I bought the Tom Mitchell book out of curiosity....’How to repair your own guitar amplifier’ or something like that. I still think that that book is a great primer for those without any formal introduction to things. It is written in layman’s terms and deals with some basics in a direct way. That is, it answers most of the basic question asked here....how to wire speakers for instance. It also gives tube pinouts for most of the more common tubes used in these amps we use.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.