Asking about a good dog that’s been a bad dog in the Bad Dog Café

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I wish you luck. IMO that vet diagnosis is not good news, but I hope to hear a positive update.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
I wish you luck. IMO that vet diagnosis is not good news, but I hope to hear a positive update.

Bella's appetite is pretty much back to normal. My wife made a fresh mix of Bella's raw food diet and served it to her this morning. Bella polished it off in short order.

She is also happier and more active. As I said earlier, she would play fetch while she was sick, but with less enthusiasm and stamina than usual. This morning we went outside to take care of the birds (chickens and quail), and to turn the compost pile. Bella of course was excited to come out with us, and I had to indulge her in playing fetch in between the birds and wielding the pitchfork/turning the pile.

We're still watching Bella closely. She's on the small-ish side of medium sized dog, so she's never left big dop piles, but her fecal output is less than usual. But of course that's commensurate with her intake of late. I would say this morning was her first normal serving that she's eaten in days. We're guardedly optimistic, looking for her to recover fully.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Bella's appetite is pretty much back to normal. My wife made a fresh mix of Bella's raw food diet and served it to her this morning. Bella polished it off in short order.

She is also happier and more active. As I said earlier, she would play fetch while she was sick, but with less enthusiasm and stamina than usual. This morning we went outside to take care of the birds (chickens and quail), and to turn the compost pile. Bella of course was excited to come out with us, and I had to indulge her in playing fetch in between the birds and wielding the pitchfork/turning the pile.

We're still watching Bella closely. She's on the small-ish side of medium sized dog, so she's never left big dop piles, but her fecal output is less than usual. But of course that's commensurate with her intake of late. I would say this morning was her first normal serving that she's eaten in days. We're guardedly optimistic, looking for her to recover fully.

I'm very happy to hear that. Best of luck for a speedy recovery!

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Glad you were able to get her to a vet. I feel your pain on the vet bills. You're probably already aware that there are lower cost veterinary clinics available. No idea about the quality in your area and as this is a potentially serious issue I'm sure I'd want a vet I was already familiar with but for routine stuff like check ups, shots, etc. you may be able save some dough. I believe the Gulf Coast Human Society may have some resources at lower costs.

Here's wishing that beautiful girl of yours a speedy recovery.:)

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I'm so glad Bella is on the mend!

I have been eyeing this thread with cautious optimism, because I was hoping you'd take her to the vet and get the same quick improvement I've seen when Flash or Ava get a stomach bug, and they definitely do from time to time.

I worry about two issues: dehydration, which is serious--and the sick dog soiling their crate while I am at work, which is less serious, and merely a part of living with dogs.

Our wonderful vet clinic checks for parasites or Parvo, does a physical feel of the abdomen in case there's a foreign object they've swallowed, then starts a basic treatment of the symptoms. An injection for nausea, sucralfate slurry to soothe the bowels, and metronidazole (an anti-fungal antibiotic just in case there is a gut bug).

We've been blessed so far. I did have to put Flash in the hospital for a couple of days earlier this year, but only because he absolutely hates soiling his kennel and I wanted him observed and in good hands until he was better, kind of playing it safe.

I shouldn't admit this, but I've actually stockpiled a few of both the oral medications, so I can try to treat them at home if things don't get too out of hand.

I also decided, after Ava was diagnosed with heartworms, to splurge and get pet health insurance. Not a paid endorsement LOL but so far Pumpkin Pet has reimbursed me 100% for Ava's wellness exam, which revealed the heartworm infestation, and for the treatment itself. Even though I took out their policies AFTER her visit. Usually they pay back 90% on non-routine injury, surgery or illness. I think I'm going to be glad I finally decided to do it--these mutts are all the family I got!

Oh one more thing...it will likely take a few days for her stool habits to return to normal. It's as much the stress of going to the doctor as it is whatever ailed her to begin with. Their systems are much more delicate and easily disrupted than most owners realize.

You all take care of one another, and keep us up to speed.

Last edited:

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Good luck to Bella and hopes that she is on her way to recovery. Don't fret the vet, you can get more money, hard to find another Bella!

Well, that's the truth right there! I grew up with both dogs and cats as household pets, and in my adult life we've had both. In my 63 years of life leading up to Bella, there was only one pet that I had as much affection for as I do for Bella. I do believe she's the best pet I've ever had. Her personality and temperament are just so sweet. And we're at the point in our lives when our children are long grown and gone, and even most of our grandchildren are now at the point in their lives where we don't often get visits from them. We've become that old couple for whom our dog is our baby.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Glad you were able to get her to a vet. I feel your pain on the vet bills. You're probably already aware that there are lower cost veterinary clinics available. No idea about the quality in your area and as this is a potentially serious issue I'm sure I'd want a vet I was already familiar with but for routine stuff like check ups, shots, etc. you may be able save some dough. I believe the Gulf Coast Human Society may have some resources at lower costs.

Here's wishing that beautiful girl of yours a speedy recovery.:)

There's one lower cost vet clinic I'm familiar with, that we've used in the past. But we're very happy with the one we've used exclusively with Bella, the Santa Fe Animal Hospital. Bella has had her annual check ups and gets her Trifexis meds every six months from SFAH. So only one veterinary practice has ever seen Bella, and they're great with her. I may moan from sticker shock when faced with the bill, but then everything's expensive these days.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Well, that's the truth right there! I grew up with both dogs and cats as household pets, and in my adult life we've had both. In my 63 years of life leading up to Bella, there was only one pet that I had as much affection for as I do for Bella. I do believe she's the best pet I've ever had. Her personality and temperament are just so sweet. And we're at the point in our lives when our children are long grown and gone, and even most of our grandchildren are now at the point in their lives where we don't often get visits from them. We've become that old couple for whom our dog is our baby.
Boy, do I know what you mean! ;)

teletail

Friend of Leo's
You should always get the dog to the vet ASAP. I had a dog that stopped eating. We got her to the vet and it turns out she had eaten something made of cloth and had a blocked intestine. If we'd waited, she would have died.