Asking about a good dog that’s been a bad dog in the Bad Dog Café

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve talked about our Bella many times before on TDPRI, no doubt many times here in the BDC. Well, she’s sick/not eating, so I wanted to get some input on what y’all would do.

For background, she’s what we call a “Bocker Speagle” (Beagle/Cocker Spaniel mix). She’s five years old, and here weight’s been consistent at around 27 lbs. My wife has made her food or we’ve fed her a raw diet. (Even when she gets “cooked” food, she gets chicken hearts as treats.)

A month ago, Bella stayed with our daughter while we went to Puerto Rico to celebrate our 49th anniversary. Our kids have cats and dogs, and we learned upon returning to pick her up that she got into the dry cat food and made herself sick. Didn’t think too much about this at the time.

Fast forward a month, to a couple of nights ago. We also have a cat and feed her dry food. I inadvertently left the lid open on the cat food container, and Bella got into it, and ate a bunch. Later that night, she started begging to go outside, and before we realized what was happening, she vomited up cat food. Then vomited again…and again. Throughout the night, she would go outside to poop or puke.

The following morning, she wouldn’t eat. She seemed a bit lethargic. She didn’t eat anything yesterday. This morning, she still refuses to eat anything. She’s turned down her regular food and even chicken hearts.

One other factor (maybe?) is her back. She had an incident with her back a year ago. We took her to the vet, but thankfully nothing extensive/expensive was needed. She soon was 100%. Well, just before this vomiting/food strike thing, she started favoring her back a little. Nothing major, but just not jumping up on the bed like before. I think it may just be coincidental, but I thought I would mention it.

There have been some signs that we’re guardedly optimistic about. Her nose is wet. Also, twice while my wife and I were working outside (we keep chickens and quail, and do gardening), Bella wanted to play fetch. The second instance of playing fetch was just about an hour ago.

So, we’re concerned that she’s on her second day of a food strike. We love her dearly, and the “take her to the vet” counsel that no doubt someone will say is what we’ll do if we have to, but we’re retired and on a fixed income, so we’re hoping to avoid that option, if we can.

1654011418197.png

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Sadly, I went thru this with a much older dog a couple of years back. The only time dogs don't eat is because they are seriously sick. My vet said dogs with rotten and broken teeth will still eat, but dogs with a serious internal issue won't.

So, as you predicted, she needs to see a vet. The vet will probly recommend some blood tests and different food, and if that doesn't help she may be approaching the end.

TeleTex82

Friend of Leo's
I agree with the good drmordo, I'd take her to the vet, just to be safe. Hope she gets well soon! If you can get her to eat, mix a little canned pumpkin amd some greek yoghurt in with her food, it helps a lot get things in the gi tract back in order.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
VET. Sounds like she's pretty sick. I'm not sure if there is something in cat food that is bad for dogs, you wouldn't think so... She may have eaten too much and has an obstructed bowel. A vet can often feel that.

hdvades

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
+1 Try adding a heaping spoon of plain canned pumpkin to her food. Our dog gets fed twice a day and I always add pumpkin. If she still isn't eating in two days, you'll probably need a trip to the vet.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
If her temperature is elevated (103F or more), get her to a vet ASAP because she may have an instestinal obstruction. Is her abdomen hard or soft? Is she drinking water?

If she's not eating and not drinking water in the next 12 hours, get her to a vet.

Addnine

Tele-Holic
I have owned dozens of dogs, so I have a lot of experience with their needs. A dogs who is not eating is typically in some sort of quite significant pain. I am retired on a fixed income as well (I keep chickens, however, rather than quail!), so I know it can be hard at times to pay the bills, but this might be a time to spend a little of that hard-earned dough. I wish you and your charming little dog the very best. She's adorable.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Vet
Last week our dog stopped eating. Went to vet after a day. He has a stomach infection which requires medication. Another couple days and he’s starting to eat.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Nothing to add here. Get Bella to a vet. She’s such a pretty girl and needs to get back on her feet.
Positive thoughts headed to Bella and y’all

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Well, there's been a little progress this evening. It took hand-feeding her, but we were able to get her to eat some. Not as much as her regular serving, but some. My wife offered Bella some sliced turkey breast that she was putting into our salad this evening, and Bella willing took that from her hand. We were also able to give her some of her regular food.

Bella has also been drinking water throughout this "hunger strike." I forgot to mention that before, she is staying hydrated. We played fetch together again this evening, too. It's too soon to say that all's well, or that we still won't take her to the vet. But if she just continues to eat small portions, hopefully she'll get her appetite back.

And we're going to see that she doesn't get into the dry cat food again. My wife had read something online about the drying aspect of cat food the can cause a bacteria or something that canine's just can't handle.

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm joining the chorus - vet

And, for the love of Bella, keep an eye on what she's getting into.

One of our vet's dogs was a cheerful omnivore, who was always allowed to pre-treat our dishes before washing.
Her daughter's cat, however, has a very strict & limited diet.
He stayed w/ us earlier this month, so the pic of the feline blimp is current.

Peace - Deeve
20220520_223823.jpg

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Update: We took Bella in to the vet this morning. He just called us back, and talked to my wife. The results of Bella's blood work are all good. She's only 2 lbs. lighter than when he saw her last, which isn't surprising given that Bella hasn't eaten in three days. He's going to give her an injection for nausea and give us some pills for that, too. We should be picking her up from the vet in a couple of hours.

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Mine has taken to eating poop in the yard at 12 years old but she's fighting off cancer with a mast cell tumor the size of a large potato on her neck so just trying to discourage it without punishing at this point, and she's on steroids and a ton of other things. Already had a large tumor removed from same spot last year and she could barely walk for days so no more surgeries. I still love her, just not letting her lick my face anymore...🤮