Asia Market-Only MIJ Tele w Bigsby (NGD)

CX Hunter

TDPRI Member
script>
During the worst months of Covid with bad cabin fever, I was seriously trawling about for a vintage '60s Tele w Bigsby but (luckily for my wallet) could not find one with rosewood fingerboard and Bigsby that was in decent shape. In my searches I found that Fender Japan was making a very nice traditional Tele with Bigsby only sold in the Asian market. After numerous fruitless email exchanges I connected with a company that has shops in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore and eventually my email were forwarded to one of their guys in Singapore who spoke fluent English. Finally arrived and instantly threw in a set of Lollars and was so disappointed. Put it in the corner for a few months until Rob D finally got parts for making his Firebird pickups. He's 20 minutes away - so went down to see him for a Holy Grail and the first new Firebird off the bench and Rob kindly offered to do the installation. Went back today to pick it up, and not wanting to take up too much of his time prepared to pay him, say thanks and split. I'm kind of shy about trying a new pickup with the maker in the room, so Rob plugs it in and plays a bit and Holy S**T the sound that came out when he played in mid-position just blew me away. He said, "This is a seriously special guitar. Do not lose it" 7Lbs 2 oz.
51723684025_59e4025895_k.jpg

Last edited:

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
WOW! HNGD! While in Asian ports, I really should have spent more time looking for guitars and less time drinking beer:(.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
script>
During the worst months of Covid with bad cabin fever, I was seriously trawling about for a vintage '60s Tele w Bigsby but (luckily for my wallet) could not find one with rosewood fingerboard and Bigsby that was in decent shape. In my searches I found that Fender Japan was making a very nice traditional Tele with Bigsby only sold in the Asian market. After numerous fruitless email exchanges I connected with a company that has shops in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore and eventually my email were forwarded to one of their guys in Singapore who spoke fluent English. Finally arrived and instantly threw in a set of Lollars and was so disappointed. Put it in the corner for a few months until Rob D finally got parts for making his Firebird pickups. He's 20 minutes away - so went down to see him for a Holy Grail and the first new Firebird off the bench and Rob kindly offered to do the installation. Went back today to pick it up, and not wanting to take up too much of his time prepared to pay him, say thanks and split. I'm kind of shy about trying a new pickup with the maker in the room, so Rob plugs it in and plays a bit and Holy S**T the sound that came out when he played in mid-position just blew me away. He said, "This is a seriously special guitar. Do not lose it" 7Lbs 2 oz.
51723684025_59e4025895_k.jpg

bingo!

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
What a great story! Beautiful guitar and I bet it sounds sensational with those pickups

I have a Squier with similar pickup arrangement and soon to get a Bigsby, won't be as nice a product as yours

Here's the WIP
IMG_20200515_182735.jpg