1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ashtray cover too tight

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Yonatan, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

I never had an ashtray cover for my "Tele" (a parts build actually) and was inspired to order a KAISH one.

So, it arrived, 7 days later, and quality looks great, but the "pinch point" is simply too tight for my bridge (Wilkinson). I can just about press it on, but it won't stay on at all - pops right off. I'm probably making it worse because I lined the lip of the bridge with some paper, as I didn't want the ashtray cover to scratch it up.

Has anyone had luck widening one that was too tight?

2. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

Try tweaking it with a Vise Grip. Use some Electrical Tape, so no scratching. Old ones used to like almost Snap In?

Yonatan likes this.
  3. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

I haven’t had any experience with the Kaish bridge cover. But when I wanted a more vintage-correct look and feel to my MIM Tele, I found that there were very few choices; essentially, I had to replace the entire bridge assembly with a Fender vintage bridge and cover set. This led to changing the pickups to a CS Nocaster set, changing the pickguard to a Fender parchment, adding an aluminum shielding sheet under the pickguard, rewiring the control plate with CTS pots, CRL 3-way switch, Sprague Orange Drop tone cap, and a Switchcraft output jack.

Whew.

I now know that some of the mods could possibly be avoided (the cap, for example). But at the time, I was looking to do what the consensus opinion stated “was necessary to do it right”. This was in the early 2000s.

Things are very different today. Adequate parts that will do the job are widely available. But based on experience, buying a bridge cover from Kaish, Wilkinson, or anyone else should include a new bridge plate and bridge of the type you prefer. And the size of the hardware preferred may or may not fit in your application.

Yonatan likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Vintage correct look and feel for a bridge cover on a Fender is usually no problem. They all lay open side up on any level surface somewhere far enough away from the guitar or bass so not to be in the way of the picking hand making contact with the strings when needed. (;^)
    There is a very good reason why no one except Leo called them bridge covers. Yousee, Leo Fender could not play a single note on a stringed instrument. He wanted to cover up the ugly bridge. Not being a player, he was overly concerned about the visual impact; and He never realized that one cannot see the bridge while a player is using the instrument.
    They were used as ashtrays...not ashtray covers and certainly not as bridge covers... by 99.9999% of Fender players. The first thing that happened was that the player pulled them off.
    My second instruction, after fretting technique, for playing the guitar was that the heel of the palm needs to know where the bass side of the bridge is. One wants to be able to palm mute when needed. Fender unknowingly sent those bridge covers out so that the amp covering would not get burned by cigarettes. Unfortunately, many of those ashtrays got lost, and smokers burned their amps for the lack of that ashtray.
    Rickenbacker did not use ashtrays. They actually built a small bridge cover that was held on by screws. Those also get removed, but they have no purpose after the removal since they are not shaped to hold ashes.
    So, if you will just 0lace that piece of metal where it belongs, it will fit perfectly. Eeeehaw....no problems!

Yonatan likes this.
  5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a few ashtray bridges, but none of them seem to fit. They're either too big, or too tight. I should probably sell them on, or something.

6. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

The fender cover fits Wilkie bridges perfectly in my experience. Take out the paper first, then if necessary put tape over the jaws of a pair of pliers and bend the sides out slightly. If you are worried about some very small scratches on the side of the bridge lip, maybe Teles aren't for you;)

Boreas likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use a Fender cover on a Wilkinson with a perfect fit. I would also be inclined to "make" the KAISH fit. You may even be able to spread it a little by sitting it on a hard surface shiny side up, and pushing down on the center of the cover SLIGHTLY. You don't want to distort it. It may spread it enough to fit without breaking out the vice-grips.

Yonatan likes this.
  8. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

Just tell it you quit smoking and it'll leave on its own.

9. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

I build my guitars to be played, I don't get worked up over dings and scratches, but on the other hand, I'll try to prevent them if possible.

Telecentric likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve had luck just bending them in my hands

If too loose I squeez the whole thing from both sides in one hand

Or if it’s tight put it in both hands with thumbs in middle on the back and press down bending both sides up a little

I’ve always just done it like that not messing with the contact points individually

Yonatan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.