1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Ash, Pine & anything else I can find" build (a former build challenge thread)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by gitlvr, Jul 20, 2013.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I used Zpoxy finishing resin to begin pore fill.

[​IMG]

This is the first time I've used it, but it comes highly recommended by a ton of builders. I like the way it makes the grain kind of pop, and so far it's a lot easier and far less messy a procedure. We shall see.
    Here are a couple of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will take several sessions to get the grain filled, especially with the ash pores. There is light sanding needed between each session, so cross your fingers for me. The top veneer is thin, and I won't feel safe until i get about 8 coats of lacquer on it.

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

That top looks spectacular Mike!

Rob

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Rob. I think it does, too. Stoked to get the finish on! I think the lacquer's gonna be sweet.

4. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Started laying down lacquer today. Used a 50/50 mixture of lacquer and thinner to seal the wood. Took about 3 coats before things started to build. After that I switched to a 2 to 1 ratio of lacquer vs thinner. I think that's about right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the koa back strap is gonna be pretty sweet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using the preval for the first time, with Behlens lacquer. The preval takes a bit of getting used to, but it's not bad. The spray has no fan to it at all, and it does give a lot of orange peel.
    Having said that, I'll never go back to aerosol spray can lacquer. This stuff I think lays down much better, even with the limitations of the preval design. It builds better. Heck it even looks more natural to me.
    Hopefully some time next year I can afford to upgrade to a compressor. Until then, the preval will have to do.

After about 4 or 5 coats of the 2 to 1 lacquer mix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assuming the weather cooperates it'll take a couple of days to get all the coats applied, then at least 3 weeks to cure, minimum. Since the temps are in the high 60s to 70's, maybe longer.
    And since the subsequent coats will look pretty much like I've already posted, I will probably not have any more updates for about a month. Hope you stick around for the finale.
    Thanks for looking.

5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

It looks fantastic Mike! Now you have a few weeks to wind some homebrew humbuckers for it as well. ;-)

Rob

6. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Rob. No pickup winding for me, though. The pickups will probably come out of another guitar I have here. A set of GFS Vintage '59s, which I think sound really good.
    Money's tight, but if I had the cash I'd spring for a set of humbucker sized P90s. But this way will cost me nothing, and look and sound great.
    I know winding the pickups doesn't cost much, but purchasing the materials and rigging up a winder are beyond my budget(which is $0) at this time. I'll have to go with what I have.
    I will, however, need to make the covers for the electronics cavities, so there might be some posts about that in the near future.

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Looking great Mike !

8. jim the plumber

jim the plumber Tele-Holic

lookin good

9. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Glen and Jim, thanks. And thanks to all for still hangin' around.

10. JordanEdward

JordanEdward NEW MEMBER!

That's so beautiful, inspired me to build one this summer.

11. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

That's awesome! Good luck with your build, and make sure you have fun doing it! Thanks, Jordan, and welcome to the forum!

12. ItZaLLGooD

ItZaLLGooD Tele-Holic

That veneer on the back of the headstock is beautiful. No disrespect to the rest of the build but the headstock really sticks out.

13. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, and I agree. It's even nicer in person. The depth is incredible. Can't wait to see it after the lacquer is leveled and polished.
    The bonus is that when in playing position I'll be looking at that piece of wood a lot, lol.

14. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Great job Mike ;)

15. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

This guitar is looking excellent! I love the thick black binding! That bass body is sweet too! Awesome work man.

16. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys! Cableguy, I think the shorter binding is going to look weird to me from now on.
    As for the bass body, I need to get this guitar done so I can see how many preval units I need for that one. I have 4 left. It's probably gonna take one more, maybe two, so I think I'll need to order more. I think I'm looking at 3 per instrument, minimum. I'll be shooting an opaque finish on the bass, so I might need an extra there.

17. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Lacquer was good and hard today, so I started in level sanding.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I sanded through to the epoxy filler/sealer. I was using 600 grit, and I usually use 400.
    Since I have never used the Preval units before, nor the Behlens, I obviously did not get enough lacquer on. Finish is too thin. Tried a bit on the neck and got the same results. Too thin.
    The wind is up way too much to lay down finish today. Add to that the temp won't hit 60 degrees for several days. Unless the weather cooperates I might not be finishing this until late spring/early summer.
    Fine with me. It will give me time to think about pickups and electronics.

18. ItZaLLGooD

ItZaLLGooD Tele-Holic

We got 4 inches of snow yesterday. Looks like finishing season is just about over for this year. Kinda bummed. If I can stay motivated I would like to have 2-3 projects done and ready for finish in the spring.

19. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Yep. Not a problem. I will wait until I can get it right, whatever time it takes.
    Got enough repair work to keep me busy over the winter, but I really was looking forward to playing this thing soon. Such is life. Could definitely be worse.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.